Help | Vital Football

Help

exhertsimp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Just had a mobile call claiming to be 'Neville from Lincoln City Football Club calling all fans asking if there is any help they may need" or similar such words. Declined...
Is this legit or a scam?

Enter the phone number into a google search (Other search engines are available) and see what comes up.
My money is on a scam.

A while ago, my wife got a scam call from a supposed Ad company she was alleged to have used to place a small-business ad in a professional journal. That was the first of many from a whole variety of numbers and "companies". One even sent her an ad they had allegedly placed - complete with spelling errors.

They issued all sorts of threats and only stopped when she simply replied to each call (before blocking the number) that she had contacted Trading Standards about them.

Lots of scammers out there. Also, Haven't LCFC recently started some kind of out-reach/support programme? Scammers will be aware of this, no doubt.

I had a similar call a few weeks ago from a lady, possibly asking similar questions, sounded genuine. My cousin also had the same call, some time later. Maybe the club are going through the 'old foggies' list of season ticket holders to check they are still 'with us?'.
No pin numbers or bank details asked for, and she didn't sound like a Nigerian Prince with a good investment offer.

Seems particularly bad at the moment for some of these scams... I've seen a few around renewing TV licence etc that look super convincing bar the URLs of the links being weird. Guess it's the time to be vigilant, and for stuff like that maybe contact the club and double check (as they might be calling others who are more vulnerable to it).

I know some Club's are asking for volunteers to ring around elder supporters to check they're ok, but I'm not sure if this applies to Lincoln (or whether exhertsimp is in the elder category!).

Just had a mobile call claiming to be 'Neville from Lincoln City Football Club calling all fans asking if there is any help they may need" or similar such words. Declined...
Is this legit or a scam?
Give the club a quick call or email them - it would be nice to know the answer.

I know this is OK as I have Posted Too & Received an email from the email address below.
If you have enquiries about tickets someone called Jo Brown will answer your email & this is legitimate no scam.
She will also probably be able to answer any other queries you might have.

Here is the email address:-

tickets@theredimps,com

Other scams doing the rounds that I have seen during lockdown:

Automated phone call saying your Amazon Prime membership has expired and you must press 1 immediately to pay your annual fee.

Automated phone call from 'your internet provider' saying you have not paid and they will disconnect you today... unless you press 1 to pay your arrears immediately.

This is a new pop-up online: your Norton antivirus protection has expired and you must click here immediately to renew. That came from a bona fide literary site.

Watch out for these, and others. It makes me very angry because it scares the daylights out of older people in particular. My mother is constantly bothered by them. It also casts doubt over legitimate organisations genuinely trying to help.

I know this is OK as I have Posted Too & Received an email from the email address below.
If you have enquiries about tickets someone called Jo Brown will answer your email & this is legitimate no scam.
She will also probably be able to answer any other queries you might have.

Here is the email address:-

tickets@theredimps,com
Someone called Jo Brown? Have some respect this is the legend that is Mrs Grant Brown 😀

Someone called Jo Brown? Have some respect this is the legend that is Mrs Grant Brown 😀

Hi Red Wimp
Didn't know that, but the main thing was just to let members know that this was a genuine link to City & not a scam email address & that it might clear up any problems members might have.

I had HMRC (automated voice) on the dog Monday, telling me to press 1 for something - block and delete job done ! Normally place the handset to the radio when I get the car scam calls. Don’t ask me why but it makes me feel better !

I had HMRC (automated voice) on the dog Monday, telling me to press 1 for something - block and delete job done ! Normally place the handset to the radio when I get the car scam calls. Don’t ask me why but it makes me feel better !
I had that one twice around a year ago: a warrant has been issued for my arrest for non-payment of tax, and I must press 1 immediately to talk to my case handler. Most people can see straight through it, but there must be some who cannot. Makes my blood boil.

My missus had one the other day about a supposed non-payment on a pay pal account. Wasn't real. I think the secret to these are not to press 1 immediately but make enquiries with the account provider which will quickly show it to be crap. Unfortunately some get into a quick panic and fall into their trap

best thing to do is to hang up and do nothing

if it is real problem with payments etc they would have written to you first

you can arrange your phone provider to apply a blanket to their list of scam caller numbers

I had that one twice around a year ago: a warrant has been issued for my arrest for non-payment of tax, and I must press 1 immediately to talk to my case handler. Most people can see straight through it, but there must be some who cannot. Makes my blood boil.

Yep, I've had a similar one twice in the last 3 weeks - I've been involved in credit card fraud apparently. The first time was from a Derby number, the second I think Preston.

I regularly get a call to tell me 'they're aware my computer has a virus' and they are calling to help me. Which is really nice of them, in fact really nice seeing as I don't even have a computer.

I used to get scam calls about being involved in a traffic accident and have I been injured. I reply yes and was killed. For some reason they hang up on me.

Last edited:
I used to play along, now I just don't answer unrecognized numbers. Although you still have to be careful they can easily spoof numbers.