Help please - Laptop experiences options | Vital Football

Help please - Laptop experiences options

Greavswasthegreatest

Vital Football Legend
I need to get a new laptop.

As we all know this is a minefield of choices.

What experiences have you had, what makes, and happiness or not preferably with what is available in 2020 not past lives?

E.g Intel i3 4 5 6 7 v Amd Rizen or others ?
128 256 or higher Ram
Reliability
Robustness
Clarity of screen
BATTERY LIFE is a key area of course..

Given my use for the laptop is NO GAMING, and limited graphics. Main use is office systems, internet spreadsheets, mail. some basic music manipulation creation and mixing. s/w

In the past I have used Dell, IBM, (Lenovo) HP products.

Could never justify APPLE

Appreciate any feedback good or bad cheers

I need to get a new laptop.

As we all know this is a minefield of choices.

What experiences have you had, what makes, and happiness or not preferably with what is available in 2020 not past lives?

E.g Intel i3 4 5 6 7 v Amd Rizen or others ?
128 256 or higher Ram
Reliability
Robustness
Clarity of screen
BATTERY LIFE is a key area of course..

Given my use for the laptop is NO GAMING, and limited graphics. Main use is office systems, internet spreadsheets, mail. some basic music manipulation creation and mixing. s/w

In the past I have used Dell, IBM, (Lenovo) HP products.

Could never justify APPLE

Appreciate any feedback good or bad cheers

If you don't need processing power locally, save your money, get a device with the best amount of memory you can afford and a fast Hardisk/solid sate drive. If you need portability, get a fairly light one, if you use it connect to a screen more often than not, don't buy one with a big screen as it's pointless, if you don't use a separate screen, then get the screen size you feel most comfortable with.

All the product brands you mention are as good as it gets, there is virtually no difference between them (except IBM don't do laptops anymore!)

I have both a Macbook Air for personal and a Microsoft Surface Pro for work. I actually bought a refurbished Pro from Amazon at half the price because it was a pilot project for our systems at work.

I like both but the Pro has the advantage of being touch screen. The only problem I have had with it is it won't take a pen and a mouse both being set up on it so I use the pen as I use it for a lot of electronic notes. It does everything else and if you don't want to spend on a Mac I would go with this. But buy an adapter that gives you more connectivity to printers and an external hard drive. I am very happy with it.

I like Mac largely due to its use as a personal computer and its integration with my iPhone and iPad and Apple Watch. They piss me off when it comes to supporting things like Spotify but they are getting better.

If you get a laptop , don’t leave it in the bottom of the wardrobe , don’t lose the charging /power lead and promise yourself you will get another one tomorrow . Then when , two years later when you do remember to send off for the lead , and it eventually arrives , dont forget the password , and , because you have moved house in the meantime, you can’t find the book you wrote all your passwords in . Don’t let it lock you out when you try every password you have ever used ............. Apart from that , it looks good on the chest of drawers in the spare bedroom . It does need a lot of dusting though because it’s very shiny
that’s the best advice I can give you mate . Hope that was helpful . Us techies need to stick together .

To avoid a 'Walthy' as I'm now going to call it, install one of the free password apps onto your phone. Problem solved, unless of course you decide one day to bin using a mobile for good.
I remember talking to a tec guy regarding his new phone. I dunno he said, i've already forgotten my unlock code lol. Needless to say i went elsewhere.

To avoid a 'Walthy' as I'm now going to call it, install one of the free password apps onto your phone. Problem solved, unless of course you decide one day to bin using a mobile for good.
I’ve got that now Ex , but it was too late to be any good back then ! Ha ha !
Thanks Walthy I know where to come for technical advice now!
Never be afraid to ask . I am always there .

Thanks for all your advices (not ha ha). Spent yesterday researching to death all my options / comparison sites / Tech views etc. What a minefield. So how did I come to conclude the I would by an HP.

I looked at what I mainly use a laptop for, I decided my minimum requirements were 8mb Ram 256 GB memory and 1 TB storage and at least a 5 chip be it Rizen or i5. and I wanted a slightly larger screen size around 17 inch. And NOT one made of almost all plastic. And of course not one touting trial McAfee shite or other bundles. Pure Windows 10 and zilch else so I can download freeware of my choice!

And finally price of course.

Job done ordered and on its way. Thank Fcuk thats done. Sometimes you have to just make a decision and go for it and not look back and regret the choice. .