Healthcare in greece n\g | Page 2 | Vital Football

Healthcare in greece n\g

I better start saving. My Heroin Fund won't get me very far at the moment. Maybe a second job will help?

That's a good point, nibbles. Perhaps everyone over a certain age should be able to get it free from NHS? Especially if they've been having money they earned stolen from them in taxes during younger years....

https://tradingeconomics.com/greece/retirement-age-men

Doesn't look like many are, or have been retiring at 45. I suspect that no public employees have ever retired at 45. Anyone can retire at any age they choose; I tried 21 but it didn't stick, bailed out at 58. It all depends on what you can/are prepared to live on and what provision you have been able to make. There are as many problems with late as there are with early retirement.

People think you need money to live. In one sense that is correct but it all depends upon the framework in which you view it.

What is essential for life? I'd say we need air to breath, water to drink, food to eat, clothes and shelter to keep us warm.

Last time I tried eating a tenner it didn't really fill me up or provide me with any nutrients (it was a while ago, dunno what these new plastic ones are like to eat - I suspect they are harder to swallow and digest but I reckon they're still lacking any nutrition and still wont appease any hunger pains).

Neither can you breath money or drink money. Oh yeah, and it's not that great at providing warmth either.

It's all a big con. The essential things in life (those listed above) can be achieved without money. The other important things in life, love and laughter, friendship, family and freedom - these things aint about money either.

It's all a big con and it doesn't even need everybody to realise that for it the con to fall in on itself. If just half of us realised the truth and stopped playing ball, the game would be up.

i wish I could have gone at 45 but I've budgeted for 55. I just wondered how greec e can let some go at 45 when they are financially struggling hence two two so bailouts!

Yes, many Greeks, from the public and private sector, do retire early. Police are a prime example. It applies to dangerous occupations, which is all well and good, until you see the list of dangerous occupations. I kid you not, the list includes hairdressers.

Of course, retirement at an early age, is unsustainable, whatever the dreamers say. Partly why Greece is in the financial crapper. Paying pensions to dead people doesn't help either.

So I'll leave the ways of making me be What I really don't want to be
Leave the ways of making me love
What I really don't want to love

N. Drake

The wife retired two weeks ago at 66. It's brilliant.

Much of the discussion hinges around what we call work. I think most of us need to stay busy, have some sort of routine, and feel used up by the end of the day. We are workers by nature in that sense, but 45 sounds a good age to stop for up at eight and you can't be late.

Yes, many Greeks, from the public and private sector, do retire early. Police are a prime example. It applies to dangerous occupations, which is all well and good, until you see the list of dangerous occupations. I kid you not, the list includes hairdressers.

Of course, retirement at an early age, is unsustainable, whatever the dreamers say. Partly why Greece is in the financial crapper. Paying pensions to dead people doesn't help either.

I don't suppose it matters that people are determined to believe what is demonstrably false. Look again:

In addition Greek pensions have had their value slashed, not by inflation but by large, real cuts. The following story is from 2012 and they have been cut further since:

It may make us feel smug and safe to say Greece was living beyond its means but we are just a small country precariously balanced and the dice could roll against us at any time. Note that Buddha was proved right in that people paid full contributions and had their entitlements arbitrarily slashed when they could do nothing to adjust.

Every day you don't work is one in the bag IMO. I take jokerman's point about work in a more general terms and I agree though I'd call it a sense of purpose.

'Work' is a not very useful word as it can mean different things. An artist produces 'work' but that is not the same as the 'work' that a toilet cleaner does.

I suggest a new verb, the verb 'to fuller'. Fullering would be 'work' that fulfills the person doing it, whereas 'work' can just mean what one does to earn money.

If we took it a step further ad did away with money (I've already pointed out that money can't be breathed, eaten, drank or worn) the 'work' we would do wouldn't be to earn money. Instead it would mean doing the boring but necessary things we need to do to survive, i.e. gathering food or fuel. In that scenario we wouldn't actually need to do much work to survive (look at monkeys - they do some 'work' but it doesn't take up too much of their time, the rest of their time is left to do what they want with). Once the necessary 'work' was done we would have so much more time to do some fullering. And remember, fullering means doing whatever it is that fulfills you.

Last edited:
"If we took it a step further and did away with money"

Are you mad ?????????????????
Money is the only commodity that I have a lot of ! :eek!:

Everything Buddha says sounds good, trouble is who makes the clothes you wear, who grows the food you eat, who cares for those poor individuals who can't care for themselves, and what about the house you live in.
By the time you make clothes, grow food, build a mud hut you still end up with little time for fullering, and with no police force or rules just when your food is ready to harvest some toe rag steals the lot.

I don't agree nitram.

I think that is what we are taught to believe by those who want to keep things just as they are.

Once you've seen and experienced anarchy in action you have a different perspective. You realise that much of what you've been taught to believe is utter bullshit. Then you start wondering about the rest of it...

When I lived in Italy, my knee virtually gave up the ghost [I've since had a replacement]. I was taken straight to an orthopaedic hospital in Milan; had it x-rayed and strapped and was given crutches with a follow up and at no time did anyone ask for ID or any other document. Plus, I was able to return the crutches to any pharmacy of my choice.

Glad you are back on topic Wayne. Frankly this thread had gone off on a crazy tangent. Some people need to live in the real world!

I don't agree nitram.

I think that is what we are taught to believe by those who want to keep things just as they are.

Once you've seen and experienced anarchy in action you have a different perspective. You realise that much of what you've been taught to believe is utter bullshit. Then you start wondering about the rest of it...

With respect mate you’ve not really answered his question have you?
Who makes the clothes then? Who grows the food? Who keeps order in this wonderful utopia?

I like a bit of money and the things it can get. For example, I discovered last week that Fiat make a Spider version of the Mazda Miata. Now, as Jeremy Clarkson might put it -I'm not saying that buying a small Italian sports car will provide an answer to all life's problems, far from it, but what I am saying...etc etc. Sadly, it's behind foundation work and two bathroom upgrades in the batting order of an infinity of good uses to which a finite sum of money can be put.

It's very similar to people who take pride in paying taxes. They don't realise or view it that they are basically being robbed. It's a bit like being mugged and then beaming with pride that your wallet has been stolen!

I think we would all like to pay less in taxation but taxes go to provide vital services like the NHS and teachers.

Everytime we use those services its because some one paid their taxes into the system to ensure that it is functioning when we need it.

The alternative lifestyle you choose to follow is you choice and as long as you do no harm to anyone then that's your right to follow it.

Problem is if we all stopped paying taxes then there might not be an ambulance operator at the end of the line, who will send an ambulance, who will take my gravely sick child to hospital, who will treat my child as best they can and hopefully nurse them back to health.

I'm OK with paying my taxes. Even if its not my child in the scenario above it might be someone elses.

Your anarchic utopia may be great in your book but I'd like to know the essential services are there if and when my loved ones come to need them and I'm OK paying my way in society.

I think we would all like to pay less in taxation but taxes go to provide vital services like the NHS and teachers.

Everytime we use those services its because some one paid their taxes into the system to ensure that it is functioning when we need it.

The alternative lifestyle you choose to follow is you choice and as long as you do no harm to anyone then that's your right to follow it.

Problem is if we all stopped paying taxes then there might not be an ambulance operator at the end of the line, who will send an ambulance, who will take my gravely sick child to hospital, who will treat my child as best they can and hopefully nurse them back to health.

I'm OK with paying my taxes. Even if its not my child in the scenario above it might be someone elses.

Your anarchic utopia may be great in your book but I'd like to know the essential services are there if and when my loved ones come to need them and I'm OK paying my way in society.

Hey, don’t be a square, maaaaan.
:smoke:

My daughter smashed two front teeth out falling over in Greece about ten years ago. Dentist was excellent and didn’t charge us a penny ..... all covered by insurance.

I got stitched up though in Turkey the year after... ear infection .... doctor insisted on me paying £50 in English for the consultation and I could claim it back he said .... utter cobblers ... the insurance covered the £1000 bill though .... for the penicillin.....

I know a Brit who lives in Greece and has the highest regard for the service received once for heart problem and the other after a serious car crash.
My sis lived in Cyprus and Greece for nearly 30 years. In that time, she suffered a minor head injury, broke her ankle in two places, had two children, and lost her husband who suffered a major heart attack which resulted in brain damage due to lack of oxygen - he was in hospital for 3 months before he succumbed. The care they received on every occasion was second to none.