Heading and dementia | Vital Football

Heading and dementia

I don’t think it goes far enough

I think the players should wear bras and tin-foil hats, that there should be a balloon instead of a ball, and the person who catches the balloon can run for the goal while the other players hug & compliment each other.

Useful research. No doubt about link between football and dementia probably due to heading the ball pre 1986. World of difference heading the old leather balls, particularly when wet and modern football.

I don’t think it goes far enough

I think the players should wear bras and tin-foil hats, that there should be a balloon instead of a ball, and the person who catches the balloon can run for the goal while the other players hug & compliment each other.

Most top players already wear bras ! Guess they carry their time and motion stuff.

Useful research. No doubt about link between football and dementia probably due to heading the ball pre 1986. World of difference heading the old leather balls, particularly when wet and modern football.

Yes and there will be links between football and arthritis and back problems and hip replacements and a host of other ailments.

The thing is no one is forced to play the game; if you are concerned about getting injured or what might happen to your body in 20 or 30 years there is a very easy answer; dont play the game.

Yes and there will be links between football and arthritis and back problems and hip replacements and a host of other ailments.

The thing is no one is forced to play the game; if you are concerned about getting injured or what might happen to your body in 20 or 30 years there is a very easy answer; dont play the game.
Formula 1 thankfully had a different outlook

This is pretty accurate listen to ex players talk about how they can’t run or jog for exercise now.

You could pitch the same argument about wearing a seatbelt in a car, using a belay if you go climbing or wearing a helmet on a push bike. Knowing and accepting the risk is all well and good, but you'd still try to minimise them wouldn't you?

You could pitch the same argument about wearing a seatbelt in a car, using a belay if you go climbing or wearing a helmet on a push bike. Knowing and accepting the risk is all well and good, but you'd still try to minimise them wouldn't you?

Quite that's a bizarre argument by Mao.

I agree to a very large extent that a pro should accept some degree of risk and future consequence from their sport. A pro sports person who puts enormous strain on their joints all the time is likely to suffer arthritis, etc as a result. A boxer is all about punching the head; you have a good idea what the future consequences of that might be.

But I do think there is nothing wrong with making reasonable adjustments where they dont impact on the game itself.

Banning some of these injections they do could he a start; part of the reason pros end up with major problems is being pressurised to play while injured by giving them pain killing injections. That's not a great practice surely?

And if that also means players wearing some sort of basic headgear like Petr Cech used to then sure, why not?

I'll bet that most of you fellows have never played with the old style leather ball when it's raining and the ball is as heavy as lead. It's not funny.
There's no comparison now with the modern ball.

Wish I had a quid for the number of times I've landed up on a Saturday night with a thick head, and it's nothing to do with grog either.

At the moment over here there's a bit of investigation going on in the NRL (rugby league) into head problems caused in that game but it appears that the causes are the very rough tackles in the main, nothing to do with heading the ball and if you were to watch the game you'd understand.

I'll bet that most of you fellows have never played with the old style leather ball when it's raining and the ball is as heavy as lead. It's not funny.
There's no comparison now with the modern ball.

Wish I had a quid for the number of times I've landed up on a Saturday night with a thick head, and it's nothing to do with grog either.

At the moment over here there's a bit of investigation going on in the NRL (rugby league) into head problems caused in that game but it appears that the causes are the very rough tackles in the main, nothing to do with heading the ball and if you were to watch the game you'd understand.
I was just going to post something really insightful on this thread, but forgot what I was going to post or if I'd already posted it before, better check it might remind me what it was