Head-to-Head - Millers v Villa | Vital Football

Head-to-Head - Millers v Villa

To coin a phrase from two great Millers, "Oh Dear, Oh Dear".

And that famous saying from the great Chuckle Brothers just about says it all about our dismal record against Villa. On a personal note, I've never seen us beat Villa, and I suppose there aren't many who have, it's that long ago that we actually achieved it. It was the "old" third division when we last beat 'em in 1971, at their place too. I remember our home game against them though because there was a big feature on the lunchtime football focus? and I sat watching it with three of my mates and getting a buzz because they were actually talking about the game that we were going to see in just a couple of hours, wow. I remember the pundits saying how Villa were breaking all attendance records for the 3rd division that season, and when we got down to Millmoor (from Kimmy Park), there were thousands of Villa fans to be seen and I thought, "they're not kidding about the massive following" ha-ha. Sadly we lost 0-2 but if I remember right Villa went up that season.
The time before that when we beat Villa was in 1968 in the F.A.Cup, and again it was at their place. This victory brings a little chuckle to me because of it being mentioned by Godber in an episode of Porridge, ha-ha.
And of course another famous victory over the Villa was the very first League Cup Final, first leg, when we beat them 2-0 at Millmoor. Unfortunately the 2nd leg was held over to the following season and Villa took revenge and beat us 3-0, therefore winning the final 3-2 on aggregate. Booooooo!
And the only other occasion we've beat Villa was way back in 1959 when we beat them 2-1 in the (old) division two.
And there you have it, seventeen meetings, giving us four wins, just the one draw, and twelve defeats. Not good is it?

Mmmm, well,
We hadn't beat Forest for a mighty long time ........til last Saturday!!

C'mon you Reds!

Exactly my thoughts, Sixpence!

Nez - I believe I was at Villa Park in 1971. Didn't go to many away games in those days but my Uncle knew Brian Tiler and I think he was still at Villa then. I remember sitting down, which didn't happen very often in those days! But happened twice that season because we sat down at Frickley Colliery too in the FA Cup!

By the way, just come back from Up North on the M1 and some Villa fans went sailing past waving scarves out of the window - who was I to indicate that they were going past their get off place!!!