Head of Recruitment | Vital Football

Head of Recruitment

keith margam

Vital Football Legend
Bringing in a Head of Recruitment will be our next task, after Steve Cooper was appointed Head Coach yesterday, with Mike Marsh coming in as his assistant, both from the successful England Under-17’s set up.

The club couldn’t go far wrong in appointing the experienced Kevin Reeves.

Reeves coached under John Bond at Burnley and Birmingham before teaming up with Brian Flynn as his assistant manager at both Wrexham and the Swans, and scouted for clubs including Stoke, Swans, Wigan and Everton as a member of Roberto Martinez’s backroom staff.

He’s just left the scouting team at QPR, where he’s worked since 2017, so is available unless he’s decided to retire, he’s 61 years old.

At Swansea, he played a major role in the club’s signings of Angel Rangel, Jordi Gomez and Ferrie Bodde

At Wigan, he was largely responsible for the signings of James McArthur, James McCarthy and Arouna Kone

He has frequently scouted in Scotland, alerting Swansea to Jason Scotland, who was at St Johnstone, and Wigan to McArthur and McCarthy, who were both at Hamilton.

I wonder if his wife still works for EasyJet. I remember that he used to travel with them to get discount fares whilst going on scouting missions for the Swans.
Very successful with us and it was a big blow at the time when he left for Wigan with Martinez, who took most of the backroom staff with him.

I was hoping his departure from QPR was because he was joining us! Surely if he was he'd have been confirmed by now?

I’m sure our Chairman has been made aware of Kevin Reeves and his record of unearthing top talent, especially whilst he was with us.
I don’t know if Reeves is retiring or is only moving on from QPR due to a reshuffle of backroom staff, after Mark Warburton was recently appointed manager there.

Finally they’ve got their man -

“Swansea City are delighted to confirm the appointment of Andy Scott as our new head of recruitment.
He has experience of the Championship with Brentford, both as a manager and head of recruitment. The style of football and the player profiles at Brentford are similar to here at Swansea and the experience gained from the innovative way they used data analytics will be an added bonus. We hope to tap into that experience, while also learn from his time using a different recruitment philosophy at Watford.
Andy will form an important part of the backroom team and give support to myself, Leon (Britton) and Steve (Cooper) behind the scenes.
The aim has always been to put a professional recruitment structure in place to improve our due diligence in scouting players and enable the club to make better decisions which, in turn, should provide stability for the club going forward.’’

All seems positive at the moment. Let’s look forward to the new season with optimism and see what it brings. Keeping McBurnie and Hoorn would help the team enormously and send positive vibes to the JA faithful.