Having A Look At The Youngsters | Vital Football

Having A Look At The Youngsters

G

Would like to say I am very surprised at the reaction to yesterday's game. Club looking at the youngsters now that there is no chance of either promotion or relegation. That is what supporters have been suggesting. Now that it is being done and we lose a couple of games some are now up in arms. Strange lot we football fans. I personally thought all the young players did well yesterday. Created some chances which we didn't put away. Could easily have got something out of the game with a bit of experience up front but we are giving they youngster the chance! Circular!

Steve if anyone can polish a turd you can, I've seen all the 'reality check' threads and the like and thought 'deluded more like'. We've been mediocre bordering on dreadful since Hearn jumped ship to Barrow, week in week out we've been turned over by part timers. What I want to know is when is the extra income from the larger crowds going to kick in and get us the more quality players with enough heart to nullify these part timers and play football round them like Forest Green etc do to us? The only way we are getting out of this league is by pressing the gamble button, yes I know before you tell me it hasn't worked for Grimsby etc but the majority of promoted clubs have poured money in.

We dream of 5 wins in 23 next Saturday. I think for many of those 18 we've been damn unlucky. Typical Lincoln. But remember unlucky or not...

Think it's a bit about providing some balance to the debate - we need to see which of the younger players are worth keeping next year - can't do that other than in the heat of the battle - how are they going to stand up in a season in this league - agree about the investment - bit like the Tories = lots trumpeted but very little happens - so far.

Yes, the youngsters yesterday on the whole played well. Wouldn't cast doubts on their overall efforts.
What let us down yesterday was the tactics, we had the best of the posession but every time we got anywhere near the goal area the ball was played out wide to the wings for then trying to get a cross in which Bromley easily dealt with & cleared.
Until we change our approach going forward we'll not improve. That is not down to the youngsters, that is down to the manager & coaching staff.

Jamesimp - 3/4/2016 09:04

Steve if anyone can polish a turd you can, I've seen all the 'reality check' threads and the like and thought 'deluded more like'. We've been mediocre bordering on dreadful since Hearn jumped ship to Barrow, week in week out we've been turned over by part timers. What I want to know is when is the extra income from the larger crowds going to kick in and get us the more quality players with enough heart to nullify these part timers and play football round them like Forest Green etc do to us? The only way we are getting out of this league is by pressing the gamble button, yes I know before you tell me it hasn't worked for Grimsby etc but the majority of promoted clubs have poured money in.

We can never polish a turd, probably just roll it in glitter.

Bromley are a full time club with players on 2-year contracts. A decent litle ground but small crowds overall. Question is then how do they fund the finances to achieve this when we can't?

We need to change our whole approach for next season start playing better football instaed of the constant hoofball we are forced to watch.

collingham imps - 3/4/2016 09:12

Think it's a bit about providing some balance to the debate - we need to see which of the younger players are worth keeping next year - can't do that other than in the heat of the battle - how are they going to stand up in a season in this league - agree about the investment - bit like the Tories = lots trumpeted but very little happens - so far.

The best way to find out if the younger players have it in them is in the away games, not the cosy, slightly more forgiving 'atmosphere' of SB. I wouldn't have expected any proper new investment until the close season anyway, but I am concerned who is going to make these spending decisions. CM has done better than I thought he would with recruitment, certainly no worse than the previous hired help, but we seem no further forward than twelve months ago on the pitch, off the pitch things have got better. The Football League seems a very long way from where we are now.

I'm torn re Moyses and recruitment. On the one hand I like his local approach but on the other I see comments about all these great players with local roots playing elsewhere we should be targeting. To me that means geography isn't really an issue, we need to target the best players we can irrespective of geography especially now we have a bit of investment. I highly doubt Moyses network and actually I suspect the 'shop local' approach suits his limitations.

Jamesimp - 3/4/2016 09:04

Thanks for that but your reply appears to have little to do with my opening post. I was not "polishing a turd", I was merely pointing out that we were giving the youngsters a run and as such the outcome of the game was only a part of the exercise.

The worry for me is that because CM was part of the youth set up he'll waste money on players who he used to coach, even if they aren't good enough.

imps_joe - 3/4/2016 11:14

The worry for me is that because CM was part of the youth set up he'll waste money on players who he used to coach, even if they aren't good enough.

me too. easy to see this 'bringing through the youth' angle as laying the groundwork to benefit a particular member of the youth set up.

Steve O'Dare - 3/4/2016 08:36

Would like to say I am very surprised at the reaction to yesterday's game. Club looking at the youngsters now that there is no chance of either promotion or relegation. That is what supporters have been suggesting. Now that it is being done and we lose a couple of games some are now up in arms. Strange lot we football fans. I personally thought all the young players did well yesterday. Created some chances which we didn't put away. Could easily have got something out of the game with a bit of experience up front but we are giving they youngster the chance! Circular!

"Would like to say I am very surprised at the reaction to yesterday's game."

talking of cyclical... a good proportion of the reaction to the game on here was in response to the manager's response to the game down there.

*elephant in the room alert* :)
what did you think to chris moyses' particular post-match comment:
'results will come, maybe not with me...'?

^ a lot of comment related to this combined with his reaction to fans after the final whistle where apparently yet again he had to be dragged away and according to those that were there without any provocation. I wasn't there but Steve may have a different view on that.

Skip155 - 3/4/2016 12:45

^ a lot of comment related to this combined with his reaction to fans after the final whistle where apparently yet again he had to be dragged away and according to those that were there without any provocation. I wasn't there but Steve may have a different view on that.
Seen a tweet about this that 'something' happened between CM and the fan(s) after the whistle.
I can nearly guess who if the previous incident has happened again.

We haven't been giving the youngsters a run out since the end of November. We have been decent for roughly half of the season, and very poor for the second half. No real improvement on previous years, and very difficult to build for next season on the current foundations.

collingham imps - 3/4/2016 01:12

Think it's a bit about providing some balance to the debate - we need to see which of the younger players are worth keeping next year - can't do that other than in the heat of the battle - how are they going to stand up in a season in this league

Would agree with this. My concern is that Simmons, Hodge, Howe or whoever show a bit of potential but we ditch Moyses and and new manager comes in with a new broom (as new managers always seem inclined to do) and we throw out the baby with the bath water.

Combined with the above and the fact that Chris recruited surprisingly well last summer, I'm inclined to stick with him into next season. I think the last four games should be about learning for that.

However, if progress is again grindingly slow next season then I think questions will need to be asked. He will have had longer than all managers since we came down and working with better finances. If a genuine Play-Off challenge is not on the cards before next January's window, then it might well be time for a change of direction.

If this was a one off then Steve, I'd agree with you. However we haven't won away from home in 5 months. That's the issue and with I think 4 games to go, fans will continue to be vocal if our form doesn't improve.

If we were finishing strongly with creditable wins and just shy of the playoffs I would be confident that next season may be better. However, 4 in 22 is not that good to say the least, if these stats get worse then next season we may struggle. The commercial department may have to work extra hard in selling the club wrt sponsorship, allied to that season ticket sales and any lack of take up of those then any investment may not reach the first team.

Posted 3/11/2014 18:42
Subject: Re: Dorrian On Radio Lincs
"Just listened to the interview. 14 points from the last 13 league games? Is that really what we should be expecting from the team. Mr Dorrian came over very well in the interview and there is little that can be raised as being detrimental to what he said. Sensible and logical thought process."