Have we outgrown Poch? | Vital Football

Have we outgrown Poch?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7310
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7310

IMO he has done us a great service, but it seems to me we kept him for a year too long. I was a fan, but it's time to look for replacements.

He is massively pissed off and must be frustrated with the chairman.

The whole philosophy has gone out the window. Poch wanted a big name signing to push on and levy has shit his pants at the thought of paying over 50m on one player.

I believe he wanted zaha.

I'd keep him for now but he has to know levy won't change..

Well I said last season after the FA Cup semi final that was his last chance to win a trophy with us. The momentum was always going to drop off and when you don't strengthen it always goes tits up big baz.

Should we sack him now? Feck knows. Hardly any options at the moment. But it would be foolish to say things are fine and are going well. Players are not interested. He is showing signs of cracking under the pressure.

The last 3 months at the club has been a train wreck.

Why would any decent manager work with Levy? The biggest problem of all.

He is massively pissed off and must be frustrated with the chairman.

The whole philosophy has gone out the window. Poch wanted a big name signing to push on and levy has shit his pants at the thought of paying over 50m on one player.

I believe he wanted zaha.

I'd keep him for now but he has to know levy won't change..

Zaha would never have taken us to the next level. Lucas is better.

We have made mistakes in the transfer market two summers running and it has come back to bite us in the ass just like I said it would.

We finished 2nd in the 2016/17 season and we sat still. Only at Spurs would that happen.

The problem is no decent manager will come while Levy and ENIC are in charge. To be fair to Poch he didn’t say that there was no one out there better than what we have in the TW he said there was no one that we could afford...which is exactly what Harry said when he was in the same position thanks to Levy.

Any new manager would be stepping into a big mess....key players running the clock down on their contracts, long contract high cost players not performing and no way to improve the squad by buying in the market. Basically Levy has screwed us over for years and now the smelly stuff is going to hit the fan unless some miracle occurs, like Poch moving to an attacking minded set of tactics, bringing in some of the pre-season kids and generally getting his head out of his arse.

Zaha would never have taken us to the next level. Lucas is better.

We have made mistakes in the transfer market two summers running and it has come back to bite us in the ass just like I said it would.

We finished 2nd in the 2016/17 season and we sat still. Only at Spurs would that happen.

Zaha may or may not take us to the next level but i genuinely believe poch wanted him but levy just refuses to spend the money. We're never going to attract the top players, ever with someone who refuses to pay the going rates.

He pisses and moans about what clubs charge for players but that doesnt stop him doing the same thing.

Our two main targets were Grealish and Gomes according to EX and a few other ITK's.

If we can't sign a Championship player or an Everton loanee it's safe to say Levy wasn't willing to spend any money this summer.

Like I said at the time Poch should have walked but wouldn't as he was given a massive pay rise.

Zaha may or may not take us to the next level but i genuinely believe poch wanted him but levy just refuses to spend the money. We're never going to attract the top players, ever with someone who refuses to pay the going rates.

He pisses and moans about what clubs charge for players but that doesnt stop him doing the same thing.

Yep. Levy has always wanted to sell for top dollar but will never pay top dollar.

How anyone can defend him after this summers failings I don't know.

Poch is a fucking joke when it comes to forward signings, no decent players will come because he plays Kane week in week out, whether he is playing shit or not.

How come Klopp managed to sign Shaqiri ?

If that had been Poch all we would have heard is Oh Salah won the Golden Boot so no one wants to come and be his understudy.

Professional loser, 5 years of his crap is enough, we are no closer to winning a trophy than the day before he walked in.

He has outgrown us because we are at the level where we need top players to advance. Levy can't provide the funds for whatever reason. Our PL finishes over the last 4 years have justified keeping Poch.

This season was always going to be tough with the strength and spending of our rivals. Then the stadium issue and world cup fatigue.

Poch has outgrown Levy or Enic .

No. The moral is poor. Players aren't interested. Lack of investment in quality players in key positions, contract uncertainties, playing in a stadium with no atmosphere and a general lack of ambition have led to this. I believe he is working within his parameters and the house is falling down around him.

or... you know, maybe we win a couple league games in a row, find ourselves back in the top 4, scrape a draw against Barca and suddenly things look much better.

IMO Lucas looks better than Martial or Zaha to me, so not sure throwing 80M at one of them would have fixed the problems we're currently facing. The situation is much more complex than just saying "we didn't sign anyone" to me, as new players often take a while to bed in and deliver - by which time the likes of Dele, Eriksen, Son and Kane will hopefully be contributing much more. Poch needs to get our players back into form, sort out our tactical weaknesses, fix our set piece defending and light a fire under anyone who is complacent about their place in the team. I'm hoping this is a rut that he can get us out of.

If you ignore Levy as the issue he is.

If mopo doesn’t win anything with this group of players it’s a massive under achievement given the luck we’ve had at times.

We should have won the league, it was in our own hands before the West Ham game and we bottled it against them and 10 man Arsenal at home.

I remember the West Ham game he dropped a couple and it back fired massively.

Semi final defeats in the cup when selections have been incorrect again - Son LWB and Vorm in goal who both had an impact on the scoreline.

Juve last season he sat on his hands whilst he was out coached.

I’m on the out side unless there is no one else.

He’s not learning.

From a squad perspective:
Inherited some of the best footballers on the planet.
Absolute shocking purchases draining our funds (Sissoko, Llorente, Janssen, GKN, N'koudo - some of them are still here getting 90k+ a week each).
Choosing not to buy as we can't improve the squad.
Stacking average players in too many positions.
Not promoting youth.

His prioritization really hurt us, too many cups at once instead of focusing on the target, the FA cup against palace and the EL run the season Leicester won the league were absolute shocking decisions.

His game management has been horrible, the FA semi finals, the Juve match last year - he's not learning. Still only one tactical approach, no flexibility, and he is too slow to react with (poor) substitutions.

Amazing coach when it comes to building teams, but he can't make the next step and turn us into a winning team.

From a squad perspective:
Inherited some of the best footballers on the planet.
Absolute shocking purchases draining our funds (Sissoko, Llorente, Janssen, GKN, N'koudo - some of them are still here getting 90k+ a week each).
Choosing not to buy as we can't improve the squad.
Stacking average players in too many positions.
Not promoting youth.

His prioritization really hurt us, too many cups at once instead of focusing on the target, the FA cup against palace and the EL run the season Leicester won the league were absolute shocking decisions.

His game management has been horrible, the FA semi finals, the Juve match last year - he's not learning. Still only one tactical approach, no flexibility, and he is too slow to react with (poor) substitutions.

Amazing coach when it comes to building teams, but he can't make the next step and turn us into a winning team.

Added he has zero pressure on winning anything from the club and some sections of fans.

I forgot to add his arrogance as well and freezing out players such as Walker.

Walker wanted to leave, but I doubt he would have put in anything less than 100%, same with Toby.

A clever manager would have told Levy he would sign a new deal after the window and see if his targets had been signed, he was too quick to go for the cash.

I really don't know the answer.

We all know Levy is the problem, Levy ain't going to go so if we do get rid of Poch it ain't going to be any better as he wont be fully backed.

I agree with most posts on this issue.
Especially with Real Deal, Pollo, Big Chiv and Kinygerbils.
I am glad that some of the fellow Spurs supporters on this site finally agree with what I have said about Levy and Co and naïve MP …some years ago.
We all should remember that football isn't rocket science.
Things are simple.
What makes the difference is the ambition of the owners to win silverware with their club and their financial and managerial ability to achieve that target and the football intelligence and ability of the manager.

For the people mentioning Zaha and those saying no better than Lucas your both right and wrong. I'll name drop, I spoke to Chris waddle and mentioned this, as I'd been on Vital digging out EX for wanting Wilfred, and it was Waddle made me see that it's as much off the pitch as on that getting Zaha refreshes the squad. The players look at him and go either "right I have to be on it,he's not having my spot". Or he simply makes them think blimey we are serious about this . Right now there's a realization at Spurs that unless one of our kids is extra special we have hit the glass. Cant buy big enough can't win. Zaha( success or not )challenges that narrative. Maybe even in the coaches mind.

I've heard that argument before, but I think Lucas is threatening our attacking players starting spots.

If Lamela, Sonand Dele had all been available all season then I feel there would have been pretty hot competition for a starting place.

Asian games, injuries, stadium bullshit, world cup hangover, actual hangover/DUI by club captain, Davies and Dier forgetting how to play football - I think these have been bigger factors in our form than Poch's formation changes or a lack of signings.

The "ambition" part I agree with to a degree though. Spending big on a player would have shown other players we're serious... But I also think it could have the reverse effect if Zaha didn't make an impact after we spent that kind of money.