Have the majority of fans morphed into Doug Ellis? | Vital Football

Have the majority of fans morphed into Doug Ellis?

DeanoVilla

One Bloody Number
Just had this thought and made me chuckle.

What were the 2 biggest criticisms of Doug?

1) He sacked managers willy nilly hence the nickname 'Deadly'

2) His penny pinching ways. I could make a long list of players we missed out on coz he wouldn't pay the extra 100k. Robbie Keane and Juninho for starters.

We hated him for it!!!

Fast forward 12 years..... The majority of fans want managers sacked every 6 months, and now I keep reading people saying they wouldn't pay £12 million for Snodgrass as its too expensive..... Too expensive, in this market for a man who has 14 assists and 7 goals for us this season, a man who is proven and really wants to be at the club.

Would you really gamble on a cheaper alternative and end up with another Veretout? Penny pinching at its worst. Just pay up and get him in.

And to the fans... Please, please, un-Doug yourselves!!! :lol:

He always claimed he was ahead of the curve!

Shame we haven't got random quotes back as 'un-Doug yourselves' deserves a home! lol

Me? Deadly? Not a chance. My biggest fault was being maybe too much on the manager's side.

I gave MON support for a long time, though doubts crept in by his final year. I was desperate for Houllier to stay. I admit I had difficulties with McLeish; even so, in the early days I hoped that he could show a side of him that we hadn't appreciated. Wasn't a Lambert enthusiast but was sympathetic over his difficulties. Tim? Dealt a raw hand. Garde? Likewise. RDM? Not given enough time.

So, Bruce. Had doubts; saw the negatives in his record. But liked the bloke, hoped he could do it on the pitch. He hasn't really (for whatever reason). Possible he still could though. Doug would have ditched him last summer or earlier. But don't think Doug would have appointed any of the above; remember, Doug found some good managers.

Doug was undoubtedly tight with money. Not sure that Xia is that different; he certainly won't attempt to breach FFP, and will only spend if he's convinced it's worth it. So when it comes to £12m for Snodgrass, I think he'll look first at the transfer pot we are able to put together, before deciding where it's best spent. We may put in an offer, but I doubt it's £12m, unless we are promoted.

We've spent a lot of money on players who aren't worth it, since MON left, and it's left us up the creek. Snoddy is probably worth it (to us), but can we afford it?

Last weekend down in Devon, the female bar manager was chatting about how she enjoyed her time as a student working at villa in the posh hospitality. I asked of course as to what deadly was like, not to bad but she thought he was a bit senile as he requested a particular sugar twirl and when it came acted like he didn't know what it was.

I work with blokes who worked at Aston Manor brewery and did work for Peter Ellis as well. Not a good word to say about either of them.

Well kind of agree. I'm not into sacking managers every 5 mins unless they should never have been appointed - Sherwood, RDM . Garde was thrown under the bus.
£12m is too much for Snodgrass based on his age and assuming we are in the PL. I don't think he's as effective at that level now .

Ellis will never win my forgiveness for what he did from 1983 onwards. Hopefully when Dr X rebuilds the north stand (Witton End) and the Witton Lane stand, one of them will be named the Ron Saunders stand and the other the Dennis Mortimer Stand. So no, I won’t ever be turning into Doug Ellis.

I just find it funny that of all the players you picked, Veretout scored a hat-trick tonight in Serie A :lol:

Doesn't matter though does it? He was rubbish for us and got us relegated.

So would you rather pay £12 million for SNoddy who is settled and we know can do it, or £8 million on another player who might be good in Seria A or Ligue 1 but turns out terrible for us?

No brainer for me.

So would you rather pay £12 million for SNoddy who is settled and we know can do it, or £8 million on another player who might be good in Seria A or Ligue 1 but turns out terrible for us?

No brainer for me.

I'd put it differently. Would you pay a large chunk of the available cash on keeping Snoddy, in a position where we already have other candidates (e.g. switch Adomah back, play Green on the left, with U23s as backup)? Or would you use some of that cash to keep Hutton, who's the only reasonable LB we have, and who we'd almost certainly have to buy a good replacement for if we let go?

Hard choices. Maybe we can keep both, maybe neither. Currently we have alternatives for Snoddy, we don't for Cafu (we can't rely on Taylor, and probably not on Bree).

Would you pay a large chunk of the available cash on keeping Snoddy,

Yes. All about opinions obviously but if a man scoring 7 and assisting 14 can't convince the fans to want to keep him, then I'm a bit confused.

To be clear, I'm talking about if we go up. If we don't then it's unlikely and the best we could hope for is another loan.

If we go up however then £12 million should be a drop in the ocean.

No brainer for me.

Jesus, it was a joke! :LOL:

But yes, I already agreed about Snodgrass in the transfer thread. For £12m we know exactly what we're getting. And he has already shown he can do it in the Premier League.

If we're going to have to be careful with money, then I would rather we knew what we're paying for rather than the likes of Watford, Stoke etc. spunking £20m on fancy players from the continent who do fuck all and return back on loan from where they came.

Snodgrass and Johnstone should be the priorities. And keeping Jack obviously.

Just had this thought and made me chuckle.

What were the 2 biggest criticisms of Doug?

1) He sacked managers willy nilly hence the nickname 'Deadly'

2) His penny pinching ways. I could make a long list of players we missed out on coz he wouldn't pay the extra 100k. Robbie Keane and Juninho for starters.

We hated him for it!!!

Fast forward 12 years..... The majority of fans want managers sacked every 6 months, and now I keep reading people saying they wouldn't pay £12 million for Snodgrass as its too expensive..... Too expensive, in this market for a man who has 14 assists and 7 goals for us this season, a man who is proven and really wants to be at the club.

Would you really gamble on a cheaper alternative and end up with another Veretout? Penny pinching at its worst. Just pay up and get him in.

And to the fans... Please, please, un-Doug yourselves!!! :lol:

I think the two things are separate issues. Doug was seen as hasty in firing managers every 3 years or so when the cycle is now around 12 months. I think it does a lot of damage to change tac so often but it's much easier to fire a manager than to overhaul a squad.

As for the money, I think a lot of fans are trading in old money. In their heads £15m gets you Shearer so paying £12m for Snoddy is madness. Of course, Shearer would be worth at least £150m these days so £12m for Snoddy seems cheap.

Vertout was successful before and since Villa. Ditto Gueye and Ayew. Everything went wrong that could in our relegation year. Snoddy been undoubtedly good for us this season, but a no brainer for me too - too slow, and not good enough for PL.

Vertout was successful before and since Villa. Ditto Gueye and Ayew.

It doesn't matter. Fact is they were gambles that didn't pay off and they were bought coz they were the cheaper option.

And you want to go down that same route again?

Unbeleivable Jeff. Some people just never learn I guess.