Has SE got the fight in him | Page 2 | Vital Football

Has SE got the fight in him

There are huge mitigating circumstances affecting our results at the moment. Rotten luck. We can’t sack a manager merely to halt a poor run of form.

Not to mention who could we bring in?!

Let’s look at the last three games, we could have won all three with abit of luck

Unfortunately we have had no luck at all.

Ipswich and Sunderland - the big guns?

Haven’t rated either team and I don’t think we were played off the park by either of them, nor Fleetwood.

Let’s look at the last three games, we could have won all three with abit of luck

Unfortunately we have had no luck at all.

Ipswich and Sunderland - the big guns?

Haven’t rated either team and I don’t think we were played off the park by either of them, nor Fleetwood.

Clutching at straws, this is probably the only positive to come from the last few games. Both Ipswich and Sunderland - supposedly big teams with lots of money - were terrible and played a brand of football that rivals our pretty industrial style in the aesthetic stakes and were ultra lucky to go away with the points. Fleetwood, who supposedly have some money, were absolutely terrible and we should have been 2 or 3-0 up at half time.

It's s poor division. As I say, clutching at straws, as we are in a bad place at the moment. To be fair, one thing we are lacking at the moment, beyond all of our failings, is luck. I think had an odd decision, bounce or ricochet gone our way, we could have won the last three games, but as a team, we can't wait for that. We need to up our game.

SE has sat through over 500 minutes of football where his team have failed to register a single goal. I have watched too and he must be scratching his head, like me, as to how we have not converted more chances and taken a few points. We are not a poor side but fmob we are on a bad run of luck. Hopefully Crewe will capitulate and help get us back on the winning trail!

I'm sure Evans has the fight - he is Trump-like in his certainty that he is always right, and that its a 'siege-mentality' that thinks all others , like refs, have it in for him.
But this attitude has made things worse; his constant talking up of the opposition (their player quality their budget, etc) makes players and fans think that being able to 'compete' in games and lose a close game is 'doing well'; so losses like the one to Fleetwood, who were pants, and Sunderland, who are being pasted by their fans for being so poor, are good and just bad luck
Losing the solid back four, and his obsession with young 'kids' have been big mistakes, although there are signs he's realising this. His 'intimidation' tactics to his own players (as well as all opps/refs) has backfired with several younger players looking nervous and frightened to make mistakes - Tucker, Moghoma, Coyle and Akinde esp.
This season has poor teams in top half - we should make mid table; we clearly have bigger budgets than several of bottom half, and better players
The Crewe game will be crucial test; a small team; low budget, takes our rejects (Mandron); but gave Ipswich a very hard time today playing a good passing game.
How Evans approaches playing a 'small team' will be fascinating and will probably define our season with several of these coming up. I'll pay £10 to watch!

I'm sure Evans has the fight - he is Trump-like in his certainty that he is always right, and that its a 'siege-mentality' that thinks all others , like refs, have it in for him.
But this attitude has made things worse; his constant talking up of the opposition (their player quality their budget, etc) makes players and fans think that being able to 'compete' in games and lose a close game is 'doing well'; so losses like the one to Fleetwood, who were pants, and Sunderland, who are being pasted by their fans for being so poor, are good and just bad luck
Losing the solid back four, and his obsession with young 'kids' have been big mistakes, although there are signs he's realising this. His 'intimidation' tactics to his own players (as well as all opps/refs) has backfired with several younger players looking nervous and frightened to make mistakes - Tucker, Moghoma, Coyle and Akinde esp.
This season has poor teams in top half - we should make mid table; we clearly have bigger budgets than several of bottom half, and better players
The Crewe game will be crucial test; a small team; low budget, takes our rejects (Mandron); but gave Ipswich a very hard time today playing a good passing game.
How Evans approaches playing a 'small team' will be fascinating and will probably define our season with several of these coming up. I'll pay £10 to watch!

Like you Tuesday night already booked and will be watching

Important we avoid defeat at Crewe and beat Woking. Lincoln and Charlton look really tough on paper. Opportunity for a couple of wins in December then follow.

Important we avoid defeat at Crewe and beat Woking. Lincoln and Charlton look really tough on paper. Opportunity for a couple of wins in December then follow.
Takes me back to another important game v Crewe. The last year of our spell in the championship we were stuttering. Had a draw here and there, the odd win surfaced, then Crewe came to town. One of the only sides beneath us, on a worse run.
It was unanimously agreed by most fans that defeat would pretty much be a disaster. A draw would be accepted by most - I myself thought it was a must win. 3 points would’ve pulled us clear of the bottom 4 or 5 I think it was, whilst cementing Crewe firmly down there.

We lost 3 nil and were ultimately relegated. Now it wasn’t just that result that sent us down, but for me it was the realisation at that point how badly in the shit we were. ☹️

On the subject of Woking, I’m not sure it will go ahead now will it? I know elite sport is continuing after Thursday but I don’t know how far down the pyramid the term “elite” refers to.

Takes me back to another important game v Crewe. The last year of our spell in the championship we were stuttering. Had a draw here and there, the odd win surfaced, then Crewe came to town. One of the only sides beneath us, on a worse run.
It was unanimously agreed by most fans that defeat would pretty much be a disaster. A draw would be accepted by most - I myself thought it was a must win. 3 points would’ve pulled us clear of the bottom 4 or 5 I think it was, whilst cementing Crewe firmly down there.

We lost 3 nil and were ultimately relegated. Now it wasn’t just that result that sent us down, but for me it was the realisation at that point how badly in the shit we were. ☹️

On the subject of Woking, I’m not sure it will go ahead now will it? I know elite sport is continuing after Thursday but I don’t know how far down the pyramid the term “elite” refers to.

Not quite right, Rob - when Crewe came to town at the end of 2004/05, we drew 1-1 - I think Steve Jones scored for them, and Southall (I think) equalised late on.

We got hammered at their place in Nov/Dec time - when they still had Dean Ashton.

Not quite right, Rob - when Crewe came to town at the end of 2004/05, we drew 1-1 - I think Steve Jones scored for them, and Southall (I think) equalised late on.

We got hammered at their place in Nov/Dec time - when they still had Dean Ashton.
Quite right Nathan, I stand corrected.

A quick google shows the tonking was November 2004. 4-1 at their place.

The must win was later in the season, in April and ended 1-1. We were 19th they were 20th at the time.

Amusing SE quote, speaking to Kentonline about the game at Crewe tonight and player injury & availability........

“We are looking better, Dempsey came through another solid 90 minutes, Vadaine hasn’t been 100% but he has come through unaffected, but sadly I can’t do an operation on MacDonald’s brain.”

Amusing SE quote, speaking to Kentonline about the game at Crewe tonight and player injury & availability........

“We are looking better, Dempsey came through another solid 90 minutes, Vadaine hasn’t been 100% but he has come through unaffected, but sadly I can’t do an operation on MacDonald’s brain.”

That is a classic what a comment from a Manager, think McDonald knows where he stands with SE after that red card

That is a classic what a comment from a Manager, think McDonald knows where he stands with SE after that red card
Yes I think only injuries will get him back into the starting line up in the near future. I can see Raynor or Evans being very hard on him .There was no excuse and it could cost him his place in the squad if others start putting in performances.

Yes I think only injuries will get him back into the starting line up in the near future. I can see Raynor or Evans being very hard on him .There was no excuse and it could cost him his place in the squad if others start putting in performances.

Agreed but could also show SE management style and that MCDonald will never make the same mistake again. What would have been a serious rollicking on Saturday / Monday has since turned into banter and will get dividends further down the line from not just McDonald but the squad, he hasn’t hung him out to dry IMO