Has a famous person/celebrity ever helped you (n/g)? | Vital Football

Has a famous person/celebrity ever helped you (n/g)?

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Chance to name drop people. Have you ever had help from a famous person, however trivial?

One from me: at a supermarket appearance and cooking demonstration Ken Hom taught me how to cook special egg fried rice. Great bloke too.

Gary Rhodes once held the door open for the wife and I.
Many famous people bought shoes off me when I worked in London. I was on 2% commission so maybe that counts.Top spender .Neil Morrissey top bloke he picked out a non sale item on a mannequin.It had been removed from the department on the evening before the start of the sale.I sold him about half a dozen pairs of top quality shoes at about £200+ a pair.He was very patient as I had to go a considerable distance to get them.

Last edited:
Is that Wayne Newton? (Danny Larue's pianist and other half). Or Wayne Sleep (bonny in tights)

I could say that Shay Given helped me out financially on a regular basis! When I worked in Manchester 2009-10 the Manchester City players used to stay at the Radisson Hotel the night before games! I would always work in the wash up in the upstairs kitchen and would wash and sterilise his water bottles at the hotel! ALWAYS gave me a £50 tip! Ok, he would have been earning shit loads of money, but I thought he was very generous! Craig Bellamy was a great tipper too!

I could say that Shay Given helped me out financially on a regular basis! When I worked in Manchester 2009-10 the Manchester City players used to stay at the Radisson Hotel the night before games! I would always work in the wash up in the upstairs kitchen and would wash and sterilise his water bottles at the hotel! ALWAYS gave me a £50 tip! Ok, he would have been earning shit loads of money, but I thought he was very generous! Craig Bellamy was a great tipper too!
If thats the criteria, Aaron lennon 'helped' me through university. I used to work in a smart bar/club in Leeds and i worked the 'members lounge '. Aaron Lennon used to be a regular in there when he played for Spurs. He 'tipped' very well. I say tipped, I think he just didnt like dealing with anything less than a £20 note. He used to buy huge rounds of drinks for his entourage, so we used to make sure the drinks orders came to a multiple of twenty plus a couple of quid. Used to more than double my pay for the evening.

If thats the criteria, Aaron lennon 'helped' me through university. I used to work in a smart bar/club in Leeds and i worked the 'members lounge '. Aaron Lennon used to be a regular in there when he played for Spurs. He 'tipped' very well. I say tipped, I think he just didnt like dealing with anything less than a £20 note. He used to buy huge rounds of drinks for his entourage, so we used to make sure the drinks orders came to a multiple of twenty plus a couple of quid. Used to more than double my pay for the evening.

I used to love it Alphabet King! I always knew I was going home with a lot more than I arrived at work with!

Yes, early nineties down at Lydden Hill rallycross track, in the pits talking to Barry McGuigan when his teammate came screaming into their service area. Barry grabbed me and pulled me out of the way before his teammate ran me over in his Vauxhall Nova. Just said thanks and carried on our conversation as if nothing had happened. Could have been messy if Mr McGuigan hadn't moved me, cheers!

Didn't realise at the time, but he lived in Whitstable.
Rallycross-World-British-RX-Barry-McGuigan_Nova-Challenge_Lydden-Hill-GBR-16.04.jpg

Yes, early nineties down at Lydden Hill rallycross track, in the pits talking to Barry McGuigan when his teammate came screaming into their service area. Barry grabbed me and pulled me out of the way before his teammate ran me over in his Vauxhall Nova. Just said thanks and carried on our conversation as if nothing had happened. Could have been messy if Mr McGuigan hadn't moved me, cheers!

View attachment 41034

I pretty sure Barry McGuigan still lives in Kent? An ex girlfriend of mine from the eighties was the cousin of Vernon Penprase! He fought McGuigan for the British Title in 1983! McGuigan knocked him out in the second round! Vernon took his gloves off and said he would never fight again and he didnt!

View attachment 41034
I met Barry and his brother at a book signing in Covent garden years ago.The first thing you notice about him is he is tiny .The second thing is his shoulders are almost as wide as he is tall.
The book "Leave the fighting to McGuigan" is a great read.It tells the story of a Catholic man brought up right on the Northern Ireland border.Who was brave enough to marry a protestant and go become a celebrity as well as a boxer .I have massive respect for the guy and I am not a boxing fan.But Barry is more than a boxer .Mike Tyson is not fit to lick his boots .

strapped jeff banks up ,after he went over his handlebars during the 94 london-brighton bike ride. jeff misjudged a bend on a downhill stretch that goes underneath the m23 . kissed the tarmac and broke his collar bone.