Harry's Style Of Play | Vital Football

Harry's Style Of Play

mikeosullivan

Vital Squad Member
Appleton said Anderson's style of play didn't quite align with what he wants from his wide players. "With the way we play, our wide players are asked to do certain things. To be fair to Harry, he tried his best and he did improve," added the Imps boss. "But the reality is, his strengths as a wide player are very different to what we want from our wide players."

Anyone have any ideas on where Harry's game was lacking? I'm a bit puzzled as he tracked back well, could cross the ball well, and chipped in with a decent number of goals too.

Might also give us a clue as to why Elbouzedi was shipped out and why no doubt Archibald will follow.

So, what type of wide player does MA prefer? Any suggestions?

No, I'm not sure either. MA has yet to sign a wide player he's actually happy with, as far as I can see.

I guess Johnson-type players are more his bag?

I really hope MA isn't saying that he wants his widemen to be slight and easily pushed over rather than strong in possession and capable of physicality. I can't see what else he could be alluding to, though.

Harry is a favourite of many, including me...

...but he is this year's version of Micheal Bostwick.

Many said we should have kept him too, but...

...MA has shown he can replace good players with great heart, with better technically gifted players that are more likely to succeed at the level we are aiming for.

but of a space filling article.

the article gets an award for stating the obvious but doesn’t actually answer the question.

in the past he used to run and cross without looking now he would be pinpoint. seems a bit of a stupid comment from Appleton.

Perhaps he likes his wingers to be expensive and on loan? Perhaps he likes them to play in goal. Perahps the real reason was that Harry fancies a change and doesn’t fancy being on the bench. I can see him at Pompey

Probably wants quick feet and an impeccable first touch.
For me, HA is a strong running get to the line and cross type winger. He generally beats his man with strength and pace.
I'd keep him, if funds allowed. Always think you need a bit of variety in a squad to allow for a more varied plan B and C.

Harry is a favourite of many, including me...

...but he is this year's version of Micheal Bostwick.

Many said we should have kept him too, but...

...MA has shown he can replace good players with great heart, with better technically gifted players that are more likely to succeed at the level we are aiming for.

interesting that Bostwick has the JFH approval.

being brutally honest I think if we had Bostwick last year we would have gone up as he would have replaced Bridcutt when injured i think we would have managed games out more and scrapped over the line. I guess it can down to budget.

Probably wants quick feet and an impeccable first touch.
For me, HA is a strong running get to the line and cross type winger. He generally beats his man with strength and pace.
I'd keep him, if funds allowed. Always think you need a bit of variety in a squad to allow for a more varied plan B and C.

talking about varied plans I watched the england game and the playIng out from the back by Croatia was at times like watching it in league 1 - painful!

looking forward to seeing who Appleton has in mind… maybe the replacement is a bit like Scully. And the 17 goals.

interesting that Bostwick has the JFH approval...
... if we had Bostwick last year we would have gone up

We can only dream of reaching the lofty heights of Burton.

Being brutally honest, if we had had Michael Bostwick, it would have been impossible to play how we did and we would have been talking about why we persist playing it out from the back, when we aren't good enough to do it... and we would have not been near the play offs never mind getting over the line.

...and if you think the fleet footed Bostwick is a replacement for Bridcutt, well...

We can only dream of reaching the lofty heights of Burton.

Being brutally honest, if we had had Michael Bostwick, it would have been impossible to play how we did and we would have been talking about why we persist playing it out from the back, when we aren't good enough to do it... and we would have not been near the play offs never mind getting over the line.

...and if you think the fleet footed Bostwick is a replacement for Bridcutt, well...

sorry you missed my point. We had a mid season wobble where we were poor boarding on pathetic. We got bullied and beaten. He would have added steel.

you may mock Burton but they were better then us over the last 1/3 of the season. If they carry that on they will be higher a competitor to the imps

sorry you missed my point. We had a mid season wobble where we were poor boarding on pathetic. We got bullied and beaten. He would have added steel.

you may mock Burton but they were better then us over the last 1/3 of the season. If they carry that on they will be higher a competitor to the imps

... but we beat Burton twice including a pretty comfortably win away in April against Burton.

Interestingly in Bostwick's last season with us we also had a few wobbles.
Bostwick played 10 games between 20th August and Boxing day.
His added steel saw 3 wins and 7 defeats.

Harry's game is run past your man on the outside and get a cross in. Fine when you've got a striker waiting on the penalty spot to attack the cross. How often do we have that???

MA likes to play the one touch and run off the ball with a view to working the openings in the box

I think HA was here this past season partly because the management realised that they needed to keep someone on to quell fan anger. With Frecklington frozen out in a terrible fashion, Bostwick dumped, etc etc I think they were keenly aware of the optics.

HA was one of our best players in the early part of the season. MA admits he improved, but I guess his opinion is that it was not enough. I think that opinion is wrong.

Last edited:
not his style of player is just a polite way of saying he is after someone better.

Im not sure Bostwick would have wanted to stay if he wasnt getting in the team.

No criticism on Harry as he has been a great servant, and good to watch. MA probably looking for someone that gives options of either cutting infield or hitting the line. Harry was a head down and get to the line to cross type, whereas MA maybe looking for someone with lighter feet whom can cut inside, or get to the line and carry the ball in, rather than just plonk in a cross. Harry was a bit one dimensional. But still one of our favourites.

Overheard on the training ground:This is what Mapp wants from a winger.

"You've got to hold and give
But do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast
But you must get to the line
They'll always hit you and hurt you
Defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them
Get round the back

You never give up
That's how it should be
Don't get caught
Make your own play