Harry's Style Of Play | Page 2 | Vital Football

Harry's Style Of Play

No criticism on Harry as he has been a great servant, and good to watch. MA probably looking for someone that gives options of either cutting infield or hitting the line. Harry was a head down and get to the line to cross type, whereas MA maybe looking for someone with lighter feet whom can cut inside, or get to the line and carry the ball in, rather than just plonk in a cross. Harry was a bit one dimensional. But still one of our favourites.
My thoughts exactly - Brennan had quick feet and an intuitive game where he did the unexpected (as did Morgan) or could respond instantly to what the defender was doing. I absolutely loved Harry and everything he brought to the game, but he was a bit limited for the next level, which is what MA is looking at. I’m with MA - how many of us have admired the players he has brought into the club over last season and said the Imps have played the best football they have seen in years, if ever. That’s because the quality has been a step up and that’s why we were up the top of the league virtually the whole season. In MA we trust 👏👏

Of course these decisions are now being made with different goals in mind. If we were still minded to just keep our heads above the relegation line in the upcoming season, this decision may have been very different. We are looking at another top six challenge so Harry becomes another one to add to the list of players moved on because the club has

but of a space filling article.

the article gets an award for stating the obvious but doesn’t actually answer the question.

in the past he used to run and cross without looking now he would be pinpoint. seems a bit of a stupid comment from Appleton.

Perhaps he likes his wingers to be expensive and on loan? Perhaps he likes them to play in goal. Perahps the real reason was that Harry fancies a change and doesn’t fancy being on the bench. I can see him at Pompey
I'd imagine Harry was probably one of the better paid players in the squad so if MA isn't going to play him regularly then why not let him go? Don't get me wrong I'm a big Harry fan, but we have to evolve and if we can get promoted, then Harry in my opinion wouldn't be good enough to make the step up. I wish him all the best but think this is unfortunately a correct move ala Bozzy previously.

... but we beat Burton twice including a pretty comfortably win away in April against Burton.

Interestingly in Bostwick's last season with us we also had a few wobbles.
Bostwick played 10 games between 20th August and Boxing day.
His added steel saw 3 wins and 7 defeats.

for next season we can not just rely on bridcutt to provide the bite when he was injured the young nimble team looked a bit lost and couldnt play the game they wanted.

for next season we can not just rely on bridcutt to provide the bite when he was injured the young nimble team looked a bit lost and couldnt play the game they wanted.
When a side loses its two first choice centre halves, midfield play maker, holding midfieldr and centre forward at the same time then it will look a bit lost...

... Liverpool haven't coped too well without Van Dijk...

...we will however hopefully be better placed to cope with a Bridcutt injury this year, as we have already had Max Sanders for 6 months and hopefully will be able to kick on this season and put Bridcutt under pressure for his place.

I think we’ll see a lot more of Max Sanders this forthcoming season. A good pre-season behind him and we might see what Brighton fans were raving about?

Let's see who MA brings in to the squad next season. With the help of Jez we are always looking to improve squad quality.
I was among those who was a bit perturbed to see both Bossie and Eardley go at the beginning of last season. But the way we played and were we finished in the league showed that was totally the right way to go. Hopefully letting Harry go is just another step in MA's plans to bring even better players in.

While I agree that I don't think MA ever really thought Anderson was the answer right from when MA first arrived, what is more worrying for me is that MA brought in and signed Elbouzedi and Archibald to permanent deals, and he clearly thinks they are not the wide player answer either.

Maybe he considers a wide player to be more like Johnson and Rogers - not natural wingers but players who can do as much damage down the centre of the pitch.

If that is so, why sign Elbouzedi and Archibald?

As an aside, this is the moment back at the start of May that I sort of knew Harry would be on his way.

Check out his total non-reaction to Scully's wonder goal

As an aside, this is the moment back at the start of May that I sort of knew Harry would be on his way.

Check out his total non-reaction to Scully's wonder goal

Yep, noticed that to. I would say the MA piece to press was quite an accurate and fair summary of the situation.
Harry definitely developed as a player under MA and became less one dimensional. He also had characteristics that other players in the squad were not as proficient as; and for me offers an awful lot as a player at a good level of football. He could have continued to do a good job at LCFC.

Ultimately though he wasn't technical or tactically astute enough for MA and the manager clearly felt he had gone as far as he could and didn't fit into the starting 11. In the circumstances it was in the best interests for Harry to move on in order to deservedly progress his successful footballing career.

While I agree that I don't think MA ever really thought Anderson was the answer right from when MA first arrived, what is more worrying for me is that MA brought in and signed Elbouzedi and Archibald to permanent deals, and he clearly thinks they are not the wide player answer either.

Maybe he considers a wide player to be more like Johnson and Rogers - not natural wingers but players who can do as much damage down the centre of the pitch.

If that is so, why sign Elbouzedi and Archibald?

Some transfers work, some don't. Both Zac and Theo, if not moved on, might become key players if they get a run of games.
I will though go back to a previous point I made in that the club has moved on quicker than any of us thought. We are as a consequence fishing in a bigger pond. Zac came in January 2020 at a time when we were looking to make sure we didn't have a quick return to L2. Theo came with a decent reputation and if we had been scrapping at the bottom of L1 last season he would have featured more. Sometimes players get left behind when a team gets more successful

I also suspect Theo, along with Remy, provided additional, cheaper squad depth at the time of a budget cut.

As for Anderson, his strength was how his partnership with Eardley was - pace, power and get up the pitch.

The likes of Johnson and Rogers, albeit at a superior technical level than we can afford, were more about roaming inside and technical side of the game and offered moments of magic.

He definitely improved aspects of his game under MA, there's no doubt about that, but you'd not be able to suddenly turn him into a Johnson/Rogers mould of player.

Harry is good enough for League One because he has attributes that can be effective at this level, however those attributes are not the ones required for Michael Appleton's style of play. If a player does not fit with the other players in terms of style or ability, it becomes very hard for him to fit in when he does get an opportunity and his effectiveness diminishes further. I agree completely with the decision to release him - he should be able to continue his career elsewhere without any problem.

He would suit a side with a more direct method - I just hope he doesn't turn up at Gillingham to play thuggish hoofball. I am sure Evans will be interested.

Harry is an old school type winger that goes on the outside and loops the ball in.

Appleton doesn't use wingers but his wide forwards he likes them to play on the opposite side and cut in allowing the full backs to provide the width.

Maybe Harry was not great from the left in training so was only played on the right?

Harry for me is a good quality league 1 player no doubt about maybe a low Championship , I think Ma is setting his heights higher in the way we play and it didnt Suit Harrys style ,Sometimes its just the way it is

Theo is the interesting one not sure if didnt fit in or injured or both, We may see more of him ?

If we've released him for 'football reasons' it's a big call. Personally I would pick him above Archibald, Howarth and Elbouzedi but I'm happy to trust the boss's vision.

If we've released him for 'football reasons' it's a big call. Personally I would pick him above Archibald, Howarth and Elbouzedi but I'm happy to trust the boss's vision.
Appreciate this is not "football reasons" but I wouldn't be surprised if those three combined are costing the same as Harry in wages.

I also think at least two of the three will be gone by the end of the transfer window.