Harry makes his bid as next interim manager... | Vital Football

Harry makes his bid as next interim manager...

Spursex

Alert Team
Harry and Jose are close friends, you wouldn't believe it from some of his comments! It's worth noting that despite what some may think, he and Levy still remain friends and speak regulary.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...ourinhos-Tottenham-miss-Champions-League.html

Harry Redknapp says there is 'no way' Jose Mourinho's Tottenham squad should miss out on the Champions League... and claims even Carabao Cup glory wouldn't keep his job safe
  • Harry Redknapp says there is 'no way' Tottenham should miss out on the top four
  • Jose Mourinho's side are six points adrift from London rivals Chelsea in the table
  • The former Spurs boss believes winning the Carabao Cup would not be enough
By Ieuan Ivett For Mailonline
Published: 08:50, 11 April 2021 | Updated: 08:50, 11 April 2021

Harry Redknapp pleads that there is 'no way' that Tottenham should miss out on the Champions League next season with the talent in their squad.

Jose Mourinho's side are six points adrift from London rivals Chelsea in fourth place with a game in hand as they prepare to face second-placed Manchester United on Sunday in a blockbuster Premier League tie.

Spurs have dropped plenty of points from winning positions - an uncharacteristic trait from a Mourinho side - and Redknapp said the Tottenham boss needs a result now more than ever.

'Jose Mourinho has had a knack of pulling a result out of the bag when the chips are down — and he certainly needs it this afternoon,' he told the Sun.

'Tottenham vs Manchester United has always been a massive game and I know some are even calling this one the biggest of Jose’s time at Spurs.

'I don’t know about that but it’s certainly hugely important because I don’t think anything less than the Champions League will keep Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy happy.

'Spurs have got to finish in the top four and there can be no excuses if they don’t when you look at that squad. Miss out and it would put real pressure on Jose, for sure.

Redknapp also believes that winning the Carabao Cup would still not be good enough.

'The bottom line is that this is a game they must win and United don’t necessarily have to, which is why I think the advantage is with Tottenham.

'They may be the ones under the most pressure to get a result but little things like that can have a huge bearing.'

The former Spurs boss also believes that winning the Carabao Cup against Manchester City would not be a convincing enough feat to save Mourinho's season if they don't make the top four.

He added: 'I know they’re in the Carabao Cup final but, even if they won, I don’t think that alone would be enough.'

Tottenham face City in the Carabao Cup final later this month on Sunday 25 April.

On what has been a largely depressing season that it is the most depressing news of all.

Today, I am supposed (along with my mate who we generally go with and meet with) have been presented with our hospitality renewal, I've finally decided that in all conscience I cannot spend the sort of money I do whilst he's in charge, my friend feels the same, we will both wait as long as we can to see if Levy sees sense and gets rid, but if he doesn't and the deadline approaches first, we will not be renewing.

I know many others who are going to do the same; hopefully, the lack of a rush to renew may send a message to the club, doubt it of course, and have supported the club through thick and thin, but at the moment my mind is made up, it's time to stop attending. I hope it's not forever, but it could be.

Today, I am supposed (along with my mate who we generally go with and meet with) have been presented with our hospitality renewal, I've finally decided that in all conscience I cannot spend the sort of money I do whilst he's in charge, my friend feels the same, we will both wait as long as we can to see if Levy sees sense and gets rid, but if he doesn't and the deadline approaches first, we will not be renewing.

I know many others who are going to do the same; hopefully, the lack of a rush to renew may send a message to the club, doubt it of course, and have supported the club through thick and thin, but at the moment my mind is made up, it's time to stop attending. I hope it's not forever, but it could be.
Ex I feel for you there, I have a nos of oppo's who are contemplating renewing their season tickets, they are sitting there nervously waiting for news one way or another, hoping of course for good.

What a bloody position for long long time fans to find themselves in.

Probably true, the club is split internally, but crucially he still has Levy's support.
I can't see the reasoning behind keeping him until the Cup Final Ex. This team is not going to win it for him as he has lost the dressing room and if he does miraculously win it, he will justify his shit tactics and poisonous attitude by saying "Well I won you a Trophy".Its a lose,lose situation IMHO. Better to get someone in now,it might lift the squad and we might just salvage something from an horrendous season by winning the Cup.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly Vinnie. Someone like Harry working with Ledley and Ryan Mason for the remaining 8 games might well give us a lift that is required. At least you know Harry will tell the players to go out there and express themselves in a positive way.

I know it is not long term but it gives the board time to take stock of the situation and address it accordingly.

All I know is we need rid of JM and the toxic aura around him now.

Ex is much closer to the club than me, so he may be able confirm or deny some things but it actually appears that he hasn't lost the dressing room, largely thanks to 3 people... Lloris is an absolutely professional who remains loyal to a manager at all times. Kane is also a professional and he respects Jose's record above all else... however he is not as invested in the club beyond this season as he is intending to leave. And lastly, Hojbjerg, who has massive respect for Mourinho.

From all I have been told by people who have closer ties to the club through media circles, Jose's job is pretty safe this season and possibly next because financially the club are totally unable to cope with the cost of change. Sacking Jose will be expensive, hiring a new manager will be equally as expensive and then giving a new manager resources to put his stamp on the team is more expensive still.

Levy's only real option is to keep Jose and back him as much as possible in the summer. It is also thought Jose is our best chance to keep Kane for one more season without a fuss. But if Kane goes to the Euro's and adds even more to his value, and someone is willing to pay that fee, then I personally think we will struggle to avoid losing him.

Dele, Winks, Toby, Aurier, Sissoko and possibly Doherty are all expected to be sold to aid a squad refresh if Jose does stay.

The situation is totally fluid though, as always, but it looks like only a monumental meltdown will force the club into a change. Finances are a real issue going forward.

Ex is much closer to the club than me, so he may be able confirm or deny some things but it actually appears that he hasn't lost the dressing room, largely thanks to 3 people... Lloris is an absolutely professional who remains loyal to a manager at all times. Kane is also a professional and he respects Jose's record above all else... however he is not as invested in the club beyond this season as he is intending to leave. And lastly, Hojbjerg, who has massive respect for Mourinho.

From all I have been told by people who have closer ties to the club through media circles, Jose's job is pretty safe this season and possibly next because financially the club are totally unable to cope with the cost of change. Sacking Jose will be expensive, hiring a new manager will be equally as expensive and then giving a new manager resources to put his stamp on the team is more expensive still.

Levy's only real option is to keep Jose and back him as much as possible in the summer. It is also thought Jose is our best chance to keep Kane for one more season without a fuss. But if Kane goes to the Euro's and adds even more to his value, and someone is willing to pay that fee, then I personally think we will struggle to avoid losing him.

Dele, Winks, Toby, Aurier, Sissoko and possibly Doherty are all expected to be sold to aid a squad refresh if Jose does stay.

The situation is totally fluid though, as always, but it looks like only a monumental meltdown will force the club into a change. Finances are a real issue going forward.

The cost of non-season ticket renewals, the £2m per place in the league and the devaluation of key players (Dele, Winks etc) will all be sunken costs by September. Levy will be saying at this point that he can't impact any of these by firing Jose now.

If I had to guess, it would be Levy firing the gun in autumn again. New manager in place for Xmas and another season wasted, just like always.

The cost of non-season ticket renewals, the £2m per place in the league and the devaluation of key players (Dele, Winks etc) will all be sunken costs by September. Levy will be saying at this point that he can't impact any of these by firing Jose now.

If I had to guess, it would be Levy firing the gun in autumn again. New manager in place for Xmas and another season wasted, just like always.

It is depressing how inevitable that feels.

I do wonder if the fear of Kane's departure is in some way a part of the problem now. If Kane were to leave, and Mourinho was able to sign a load of players with the fees, would that feel like a fresh start that finally draws a line under the decline of the last 3 seasons? Or would it just end up being more of the same but without one of the best strikers in Europe?

If Harry Kane does insist on leaving, and I'm certain that that will be the case when we don't make the top four irrespective of the Carabao, I can't think of a better way of spending a chunk of that income, than by getting rid of Mourinho. That way, unlike with Bale previously, at least not all of the money will be pissed against the wall.

Sacking Jose would be expensive. Not sacking him will be more expensive.

I don't see that a new manager would necessarily need a lot of new resources. There is plenty of improvement in this squad. We just need a manager who can get it playing to its strengths. And if Kane does go, the money is there to reinforce.

As to Dele, Winks, Toby, Aurier, Sissoko and possibly Doherty, of those I can only see Dele raising any serious amount of cash and it's debatable how much another club will pay for him at present.

Whilst I don't think Harry is a solution....I think he is ideal as an 8 game feel good interim manager. We need to play on the front foot....he will get us doing that. Yesterday we needed a win....at 1-1 he brings on Sissoko. Says it all....he was trying (again) not to lose. I would rather go down fighting then playing the shit Jose has us playing.

I can't see the reasoning behind keeping him until the Cup Final Ex. This team is not going to win it for him as he has lost the dressing room and if he does miraculously win it, he will justify his shit tactics and poisonous attitude by saying "We'll I won you a Trophy".Its a lose,lose situation IMHO. Better to get someone in now,it might lift the squad and we might just salvage something from an horrendous season by winning the Cup.
Vinnie, will always be true, JM will get the accolades, if Cup winners or playing well, thus him being kept on which I feel the players do not want.
Rock n a hard place.