• Leave to other PL team

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Leave to non-PL team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay at Spurs

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no faith in this team ,most of them are stealing a living and the others are just going through the motions. Very mentally weak and no desire for a real fight.

When we play the better teams ,were already beaten before we even step on to the pitch. Our non existent midfield are pathetic , that's where games are won and lost

:thumbup:

No strikers of requisite quality available. Would only have been useful if the transfer was completed ahead of schedule.

Often players make themselves unavailable when they get their agent to ask one simple question "will I start most games?"

If we'd sold Kane and the rest of the world had seen that, we'd have perhaps been surprised how many would have been available. Kane in the footballing World (not ours) is seen to be undroppable.

[QUOTE="Critical_Spur, post: 3031528, member: 7120"Even at this early stage, I have not seen any one of the newbies hit the ground running. Cue NRD for his comment about the inferior squad over last year.

We had 4 CBs last season: Toby, Dier, Sanchez and Rodon. We've replaced Toby - who most agree was in serious decline - with Romero. He comes with a serious reputation. He's only played one PL match but it looks an improvement to me. Not with the Toby of old but with the Toby that left the club.

We've replaced Aurier with Royal. That's fine by me.

We've replaced Lamela with Gil. Lamela, when he was fit, was only ever a sub. Gil is already that.

Gollini looks a long way off lloris's class but he's still young for a keeper.

And potentially we have a diamond in the making with Sarr.

Overall, on paper, I think we have improved the squad. Of course, there is no way of knowing this at this stage.

The other thing about signing first-team ready players (not your point CS but it's in general discussion) you need a significant transfer kitty. If you look at our net spend we did well to get even one player who walks straight into the first team (Romero). And even he was a loan-to-buy acquisition.[/QUOTE]

Lamela is starting for Sevilla. Countless times he forced his way into the first 11 when he was fit. Lamela was a sub but
a damn good one who changed games. Gil is neither a starter or an impact sub.

We had 4 CBs last season: Toby, Dier, Sanchez and Rodon. We've replaced Toby - who most agree was in serious decline - with Romero. He comes with a serious reputation. He's only played one PL match but it looks an improvement to me. Not with the Toby of old but with the Toby that left the club.

We've replaced Aurier with Royal. That's fine by me.

We've replaced Lamela with Gil. Lamela, when he was fit, was only ever a sub. Gil is already that.

Gollini looks a long way off lloris's class but he's still young for a keeper.

And potentially we have a diamond in the making with Sarr.

Overall, on paper, I think we have improved the squad. Of course, there is no way of knowing this at this stage.

The other thing about signing first-team ready players (not your point CS but it's in general discussion) you need a significant transfer kitty. If you look at our net spend we did well to get even one player who walks straight into the first team (Romero). And even he was a loan-to-buy acquisition.

Lamela is starting for Sevilla. Countless times he forced his way into the first 11 when he was fit. Lamela was a sub but
a damn good one who changed games. Gil is neither a starter or an impact sub.[/QUOTE]

Let's not get carried away, he started well; here's his stats:

Made the Squad: 4 (out of 5 games), Starting eleven: 1, Substituted in: 3, On the bench: 0, Suspended: 0, Injured: 0

He's on the downswing; it will help being in a less competitive league and the better climate may even help his physical limitations, he still cannot be relied upon, so he is yesterday's man.

But Gil might be tomorrow's, but he has to earn it. And let's not forget that he also had Bergwijn, LoCo and Lucas ahead of him in the squad.

It was the right decision for him and for us.

It does make me wonder if we'd sold him how well we could have used that money?

I'm confident we would have messed it up.

Our signings over the last few years have been poor. I'm not impressed with any of our new Mafia signings.

I do think Gil will come good under the right manager.

I'm confident we would have messed it up.

Our signings over the last few years have been poor. I'm not impressed with any of our new Mafia signings.

I do think Gil will come good under the right manager.

Romero looks like he will adapt and improve, Royal so far looks like he has no idea what league he is now in, Gil looks as if he has it in him to improve.

Reggie, who I would have thought should have improved by now looks decidedly shakey.

Romero looks like he will adapt and improve, Royal so far looks like he has no idea what league he is now in, Gil looks as if he has it in him to improve.

Reggie, who I would have thought should have improved by now looks decidedly shakey.

We are in much better shape than is generally being discussed. As xvausch said it is the Palace game that set us all off. However, there were, as Matic pointed out, extenuating circumstances. We still should have won that one.

We are in much better shape than is generally being discussed. As xvausch said it is the Palace game that set us all off. However, there were, as Matic pointed out, extenuating circumstances. We still should have won that one.

I'm more concerned about Kane than anyone else, he just looks to me like he's not trying and is miles away and given we only have one Kane and we seem to insist on letting him play no matter what, he is our weakest link at the moment.

Not sure why the 'reply' system is not working, so omitted the original post!

Fair enough NRD/Gary?, but our track record does not lie. I wouldn't say we need to break the bank to sign 'ready to roll' PL standard players, far from it. If we are happy signing potential, there were a lot of 'potential' candidates to be had from within UK. Several clubs have been successful at it whilst we were busy unearthing the N's of the french league.

Yes, happy to give Fabio, Nuno and the new boys time to show their worth, but my biggest fear is that with the new structure, all we have done is delegated the dirty job (hire/fire) to Fabio and unfortunately, Nuno will be next. Escapes Levy's long list!

Let's review down the line, hopefully a pleasant surprise awaits.

I'm more concerned about Kane than anyone else, he just looks to me like he's not trying and is miles away and given we only have one Kane and we seem to insist on letting him play no matter what, he is our weakest link at the moment.

Did I dream of the post where you watched Kane at the ground, then on a recording and deduced he wasn't trying. Then considered he was told to play on the left so maybe cut him some slack. ?

Kane is just proving to me that he is the arsehole I have always thought he was.

Part 1

My take on it is that you have to compare last season's squad with this season's squad. The transfers chess moves is only one part of it.

Last season's squad had - Hart, Aurier, Toby, Sissoko, Lamela, Gedson, Bale, Vini

Their replacements are - Gollini, Emerson, Romero, Skipp, Gil, John, Sessegnon, Scarlett

So everything Gary said above about guys like Romero being an upgrade on the departing Toby and the other switchws is absolutely fair. Where I worry most is that contribution we got from Bale and Vini. That isn't a slight on Sess or Scarlett either. Their time will come.

Part 2

Levy now needs to scrape together every last penny he can find and throw it all on a striker. Forget every other position on the pitch in January and go all out with a £50-100m bid for a young, hungry striker. Tell them that they are first choice and make sure they land on January 1st. If possible, go and find a second striker to bring in on loan and pay them more than they are worth.

Remove the dependency on the entitled one and then watch every other player in the squad start playing for their Chairman, MDoF and First Team Coach.

I find it really hard to believe that Kane is not trying deliberately. I cannot understand what he possibly has to gain by doing this. It is so totally unprofessional and can only damage him. However I can’t deny the evidence of my own eyes of a man that is so very different in performance to the man that built a truly formidable reputation. There will be no winners here if this continues. On his side no-one will want to buy him and on our side we will have a ‘dead asset’, and from the supporters viewpoint a potential legend will have trashed his reputation and been lost to us. For everyone’s sake Kane, get your act together!

Not sure why the 'reply' system is not working, so omitted the original post!

Fair enough NRD/Gary?, but our track record does not lie. I wouldn't say we need to break the bank to sign 'ready to roll' PL standard players, far from it. If we are happy signing potential, there were a lot of 'potential' candidates to be had from within UK. Several clubs have been successful at it whilst we were busy unearthing the N's of the french league.

Yes, happy to give Fabio, Nuno and the new boys time to show their worth, but my biggest fear is that with the new structure, all we have done is delegated the dirty job (hire/fire) to Fabio and unfortunately, Nuno will be next. Escapes Levy's long list!

Let's review down the line, hopefully a pleasant surprise awaits.
Okay CS, you've thrown down the gauntlet.

According to transfermarkt.co.uk Tottenham spent £61m and recouped £29m.

How would you have spent the £61m on UK players? By all means challenge the numbers if you think they're wrong.

And we didn't just sign potential by the way. Romero and Royal are both starters. Gil has made a couple of sub appearances.

And Gollini, whilst a backup to Lloris, is arguably an improvement on Hart given the latter's age and decline.

Part 1

My take on it is that you have to compare last season's squad with this season's squad. The transfers chess moves is only one part of it.

Last season's squad had - Hart, Aurier, Toby, Sissoko, Lamela, Gedson, Bale, Vini

Their replacements are - Gollini, Emerson, Romero, Skipp, Gil, John, Sessegnon, Scarlett

So everything Gary said above about guys like Romero being an upgrade on the departing Toby and the other switchws is absolutely fair. Where I worry most is that contribution we got from Bale and Vini. That isn't a slight on Sess or Scarlett either. Their time will come.

Part 2

Levy now needs to scrape together every last penny he can find and throw it all on a striker. Forget every other position on the pitch in January and go all out with a £50-100m bid for a young, hungry striker. Tell them that they are first choice and make sure they land on January 1st. If possible, go and find a second striker to bring in on loan and pay them more than they are worth.

Remove the dependency on the entitled one and then watch every other player in the squad start playing for their Chairman, MDoF and First Team Coach.
Part 2. Absolutely spot on.

I find it really hard to believe that Kane is not trying deliberately. I cannot understand what he possibly has to gain by doing this. It is so totally unprofessional and can only damage him. However I can’t deny the evidence of my own eyes of a man that is so very different in performance to the man that built a truly formidable reputation. There will be no winners here if this continues. On his side no-one will want to buy him and on our side we will have a ‘dead asset’, and from the supporters viewpoint a potential legend will have trashed his reputation and been lost to us. For everyone’s sake Kane, get your act together!

So many people were disagreeable when I said that I would back Levy to the hilt if he chose to follow the path where Kane became the richest man never to kick a ball in anger for 3 years. I'm still absolutely OK with him losing out on every goalscoring record, losing his England place and having the wake up call he deserves. Some things are bigger than football. Could even be bigger than Bosman.

So many people were disagreeable when I said that I would back Levy to the hilt if he chose to follow the path where Kane became the richest man never to kick a ball in anger for 3 years. I'm still absolutely OK with him losing out on every goalscoring record, losing his England place and having the wake up call he deserves. Some things are bigger than football. Could even be bigger than Bosman.

It will be a mistake that Levy would never repeat in not taking a good offer for a player (that’s if he actually got a good offer for Kane!). I can understand your sentiment here and the perverse sense of pleasure. However I just wonder whether Kane can get back to his best now and if he can’t it would be a tragic waste of his talent and potential big money pot for us. An expensive form of gratification!

It will be a mistake that Levy would never repeat in not taking a good offer for a player (that’s if he actually got a good offer for Kane!). I can understand your sentiment here and the perverse sense of pleasure. However I just wonder whether Kane can get back to his best now and if he can’t it would be a tragic waste of his talent and potential big money pot for us. An expensive form of gratification!

The only pleasure is the long term gain for the game. I said in the summer that I would feel sorry for Kane if he was the one that had to be made the example of to correct the broken things. It has to be him though. He's the England captain and the legacy will be stronger if he is the one that is ostracised.

Let's face it, FIFA and UEFA keep talking about better control points on things like agents. They're too busy having a bun fight over who makes most money out of the game.

Football is in a dark place.

The only pleasure is the long term gain for the game. I said in the summer that I would feel sorry for Kane if he was the one that had to be made the example of to correct the broken things. It has to be him though. He's the England captain and the legacy will be stronger if he is the one that is ostracised.

Let's face it, FIFA and UEFA keep talking about better control points on things like agents. They're too busy having a bun fight over who makes most money out of the game.

Football is in a dark place.

Sentiment understood. Tough medicine for the club though!

Okay CS, you've thrown down the gauntlet.

According to transfermarkt.co.uk Tottenham spent £61m and recouped £29m.

How would you have spent the £61m on UK players? By all means challenge the numbers if you think they're wrong.

And we didn't just sign potential by the way. Romero and Royal are both starters. Gil has made a couple of sub appearances.

And Gollini, whilst a backup to Lloris, is arguably an improvement on Hart given the latter's age and decline.
Gary on a generic note, my criticism isn't on what happened in the last TW and where as a result we are. It's pretty much an ongoing issue. The money/pot you refer to could have and has in the past got us fair few signings with 'potential'. The problem at Spurs is that we either never give these guys a run of games, send them out on loan or return them if they here on a loan to buy basis. For example, the forum is littered with how Gil isn't ready or Scarlett for that matter. What? based on a couple of outings.

If we are to rebuild, I can endure going back 2 steps to progress one and keep tweaking and hopefully within couple of seasons we will have a mature set of youngsters akin to what Poch inherited.

How many strikers have we evaluated over the past 6+ years and 'Harry must play' prevented their true assessment. Villa and Leicester don't break transfer records to replenish their squads, nor have Leeds.

When posters like Muttley and PJ were touting some youngsters they wouldn't have cost us a fortune. Our Fav 11 clique was hard to breakdown and here we are swapping and changing with different coaches trying to fix things through expensive acquisitions.

Finally our net spend is low partly because we waste so much money and the depreciation is high or Levy's price labels are prohibitive.

Last edited: