Harry Anderson Appreciation Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Harry Anderson Appreciation Thread

Thanks for everything Harry. Your direct style of play, delivered always with power and commitment was a joy to watch. Some other fortunate team will now pick up an exceptional player.

I had a right sulk when Rheady left. Im unhappy that Harry has been deemed surplus to requirements as he was my favourite current player. He’s a better player than Appleton rates him, and will go on to play Championship. Good luck to him.
I have to agree 100% - Harry deserved a lot more game time than he was given obviously MA didn’t think and players do come and go but he was one of the best and honest with. All the best Harry and good luck but remember you are not allowed to score against us should the situation arise 👍

Thanks for the memories, Harry. May you live long and prosper, but not at our expense 😊

Can only echo everything that’s been said on here. Brilliant servant to the club, never dissed anyone or the club. Always gave 100%, learned defensive craft as well as improved his use of the ball into the box and chipped in with some great goals. Always had a smile on his face. Will really miss you Harry - thank you for all your input to the club and for your entertainment and commitment. 👏👏. Cambridge🤔. Promoted club and still not far away.

He must be our youngest ever "Legend". Either something unknown is in the background or MApp has made a mistake.

Or... a number of other factors have just made this a slightly sad but inevitable outcome.

What we know about Harry is he has many qualities. He is quick, strong, hard working, sound defensively, has a goal in him and has improved his quality of decision making under Appleton.

You look down Scotimp's "wingers" retained list and Elbouzedi, Archibald and Howarth remain

It's an absolute certainty Anderson would be first pick out of those four at the moment.

But he's the man leaving.

I have no doubt Harry will pick up an EFL1 contract. Perhaps his agent is too.

There is also no doubt HA is not an identikit MA player but he none the less featured strongly in the first half of the season. The part of the season where we were most effective and impressive... and then events conspired against him. Covid, Scully improving and Rogers becoming available all pushed him to the periphery.

So for me and many it became inevitable Harry would leave.

It's part financial, Harry's contract was set before the 40% budget cut came and would therefore be a relatively big earner for a non automatic choice. His sale value would probably have also been compromised by a Peterborough sell on clause, so the numbers probably just didn't make sense.

But that wouldn't have mattered if he was likely to be a regular starter.

The good news story is that Harry will find a new employer easily and should prosper.

The better news is that MA thinks he can upgrade on HA.

Some might be sceptical but much as we love and admire Harry, no one not even the man himself could envisage him being a future PL regular.

Morgan Rogers might well be. Other potential loanees we might well be.

We also may be able to acquire players like Jordan Graham who could also offer more than Harry.

MA's view is that we can go forward without Harry and he is usually proved correct.

The likelihood is in the coming few years both Harry and Lincoln will continue to prosper, just not together.

Harry was my favourite player and personally think he offered more to the team than he allowed to do post covid, in the right team I still think he could be a championship player but for most teams, including the way we play, upper league one is likely to be his limit.
For me there are two reasons against Harry, neither his fault but just indicative of the way we are now going. One and I think the main problem is that his position is probably one of the easiest to get quality loans in for. Secondly whilst Eardley and TJ were right backs using Harry to track back and get forward all game allowed those right backs the protection they required should they be slightly out of position. Poole arriving theoretically changed that requirement (along with Bramall) also not sure if it's just correct but I think over the winter we changed style slightly, the midfielders now seem to be covering the fullbacks more than wingers, Grant and McGrandles seemed to be often in the left back position against Blackpool with Bridcutt cover right back.

The only thing that worries me in all this with Harry being let go, is if Appleton is enticed away by West Brom before the sstarts .... a bit of a double whammy.

Time will tell I guess?

Surprised people are talking about Jordan Graham. First, I’ll admit my ignorance of him as a player but I’ve had a look at his stats and also checked out the Gillingham game. He’s not bad but didn’t take Edun to the cleaners, who was LB against him. Has a reasonable free-kick on him but I think Jorge has a bit more imagination and threat. Hasn’t really torn the world apart with his historical stats. Gillingham is really the only place where he’s stuck and his goal record isn’t bad 12 in 39, plus none in a 7 game loan spell leading to his permanent signing. Not sure he’s the sort of player MA would really go for as I don’t think he would add anything to what we have already and no better than Harry, although a slightly different type of player - unless of course MA sees him as a potential conversion job to the Jorge role 🤔. Just my view.

He must be our youngest ever "Legend". Either something unknown is in the background or MApp has made a mistake.

As suggested in the Echo, if a further payment to Peterborough would have been required that would have had a huge bearing upon this decision. Plus let's not forget that it could well be that Harry has decided he needs a fresh start. 5 years at a club isn't the norm nowadays and players often need a change of surroundings to get that mo-jo back.

As suggested in the Echo, if a further payment to Peterborough would have been required that would have had a huge bearing upon this decision. Plus let's not forget that it could well be that Harry has decided he needs a fresh start. 5 years at a club isn't the norm nowadays and players often need a change of surroundings to get that mo-jo back.

I question how the Cowleys could have set up a deal where a large fee is payable to a former club four years after signing just for retaining a player's services.

Also, consider that a business with a staff budget nearing £5m determined that paying that fee was not economically viable. Suggests to me it was quite a chunk, or that there were future payments to consider also.

Mind boggling.

With initial payments, resigning payments, appearance payments and promotion payments all bolted on, Anderson must be close to our most expensive signing.

Last edited:
I remember the night at Dagenham when he made his debut. Immediately looked a threat and fitted in straight away. A ‘Cowley’ recruit who has never let us down with his effort. As all wide players do he had times when he lost form and confidence a little but he’s been a great servant. Scored some very smart well taken goals too. All the best Harry and I have a feeling we will see you at SB again next season.