Hard work (leading from the front)... | Vital Football

Hard work (leading from the front)...

WellingtonImp

Vital 1st Team Regular
I’m all for putting a positive spin on things and am supportive of DC and NC. Throwing away too many leads to win the league unfortunately. Problem that we’ve had for a long time, failing to cover the gap between defence and midfield cruelly exploited by Stevenage today. Need DC and NC to freshen things up somehow and shore up the Defensive Midfielder role, as we’re committed and industrious, but too many games that we should be winding up comfortably are turning in to hard work and points dropped.

When it's two from O'Connor, Frecklington or Bostwick in the middle we have no legs and no forward threat, all adding to the problem of sitting back and inviting pressure. Not often we meet quality like Chair so we will get away with it most times, but he really made the most of the time and space we gave up. Like Mellis for Mansfield and lad at Bury to name a few.

When it's two from O'Connor, Frecklington or Bostwick in the middle we have no legs and no forward threat, all adding to the problem of sitting back and inviting pressure. Not often we meet quality like Chair so we will get away with it most times, but he really made the most of the time and space we gave up. Like Mellis for Mansfield and lad at Bury to name a few.
And Port Vale - they ripped us apart in the last 10.

Think today’s performance is typical of the last 3 months tbh
Would like to see us take the front foot on with teams like Stevenage and bang 2 up front with the wingers joining in the attack
We’ve stopped building momentum

Yep, stick Pett back in there or give O'Hara a run in there. We are too sluggish in closing down the space in the middle, and the centre mids don't get forward quick enough either.
As for their 12, it's Barney how we played him. DC said they knew he looked to cut in on his right peg to shoot, yet we kept allowing him to do so. Even after he's rattled the bar we kept allowing him inside and not closing him down to boot.

Looking at the goals, and the strikes against the bar, and then the save; they all came from the left hand side and the Chair was unmarked each time. It wasn't that we weren't covering the middle, rather we missed Anderson's tracking back and defensive covering. I am not sure on this result we can extrapolate a particular issue that relates to other games.

Yes, I would like to see us continue to press when we go ahead, but other than that, maybe we just gave too much space to one of the few players we come across that are capable of playing at a much higher level. I for one will be looking out for mention of Chair over the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Pathetic from them, they sat off him throughout the game basically daring him to score.
For his first goal he had enough time to change feet in our penalty area, seriously wtf!
We're trying to be way too clever and it backfires everytime.
Also we're starting the game very slowly our zip hasn't been in the last three games for sure.
Tactics and attitude need looking at asap.

Pathetic from them, they sat off him throughout the game basically daring him to score.
For his first goal he had enough time to change feet in our penalty area, seriously wtf!
We're trying to be way too clever and it backfires everytime.
Also we're starting the game very slowly our zip hasn't been in the last three games for sure.
Tactics and attitude need looking at asap.

Neil Eardley is a seasoned experienced pro. Tactics go out the window if a full back is rinsed every time he is faced in a one v one situation. Earls should have been better in forcing him wide into his left foot but I don’t think he managed it once thus Chair had 7? Shots on target mostly cutting in from the left

True and I think it's a numerical thing, too. Even if they wanted to step out and press, with only two there it exposes the other.