Happy Clappers 0-1 Doom Mongors | Page 2 | Vital Football

Happy Clappers 0-1 Doom Mongors

Can I just say that despite posting some views which are very clearly at odds with those of others, I don't think I've ever been personally insulted on that thread. Nor have I insulted any other poster. MPs, yes. The new PM, yes (oh, too right, yes). That absolute gobshite, Farage, absolutely bloody yes. Posters, no.

Like Will says, it's not difficult.

Yeah, I just think that whenever people post they should always assume that the person on the receiving end will take what they're saying to heart, and feel down because of it. That way I find you can always avoid insulting somebody, and you don't run the risk of upsetting anyone. I know Henski rolled his eyes at my "posturing" comment on the deleted thread, but I genuinely believe that loads of people act very differently on these social media sites to how they would in real life. The very term 'keyboard warrior' denotes a group of people who posture in a way which makes them appear more confident, when in actuality they are meek and insecure. Problem is, people just assume that because those people seem so abrasive and confident online that they can just take criticism easily, but in reality they may well be very vulnerable and sensitive people. Like I said before, you can't know what's happening in somebody's life unless you live it yourself (no matter how well you think you know them) so it doesn't hurt just to exercise a bit of self-control and refrain from insulting others.

Firstly, sorry for vanishing for a couple of important pre-season weeks but I've been sunning my pasty frame in Turkey and only got back at 7am this morning.

I think Will makes a very good point. It's not about agreeing or disagreeing. I don't think anyone comes on a forum expecting an echo chamber where everyone is on exactly the same page (if they do they're naïve in the extreme), and if people can't handle being disagreed with, then they probably shouldn't be on a forum. What's the point of a forum at all if everyone always agrees? There'd be nothing to discuss. That would be boring as hell.

Where that fine line should be placed is that people need to accept that not everyone agrees with them and that doesn't make the person disagreeing with them an idiot or a dick. It just means they think differently. Instead of taking disagreement as a dig, take it as an opportunity to discuss... It's kind of the point of a forum.

For example, I fully stand by my right to say something like "I think you're wrong Will, because...", but I wouldn't say "Will, if you think that you're an idiot" (or worse!). It all comes down to the old debate between the fine line of confidence versus arrogance. Confidence is believing in yourself, your views and being willing to stand by them in the face of criticism and disagreement. Arrogance is believing something and then simply assuming that anyone not sharing that view is automatically an idiot or somehow having a pop at you.

Confidence is a good thing. People should always be willing to be challenged and stand by what they say and be willing to defend/discuss it. I'd hate to be in a forum where no-one challenged what I or anyone else posted because that would be dull as ditch water.

Arrogance is not a good thing. Getting angry and tossing personal insults when someone questions your view isn't a good way to earn your peers' respect, and it adds nothing to a forum.

I do miss this forum during the prem days, never any petty arguments about who's right, who's wrong, just a bunch of great posters expressing different views and have good discussions about the topic, and that was at a time this forum was alot more active with many different people across the planet.

I could look at a thread and have no need to write anything as the discussions back then gave me no reason. Now from what I see, I view a thread, and it only takes around 5 posts in before a whole page or 2, and usually more is filled by posts for the sole purpose of point scoring. Finding some good discussions related to the thread topic is like finding a needle in a haystack these days.

Either way, I don't know why I posted this, it's not like it won't make a difference to the forum, but it's still nice to see old posters here from 9 years ago, expressing the same feelings towards this topic than I do.

I think you're wearing your rose tinteds there Franco. I was here during the Prem days, and there's always been a little squabbling............ same as lots of other forums. Not just Latics, and not just football.

Granted, there did seem to be a few more regular posters, though not massively more. I'd say that was probably more to do with our league position though, and as you imply, having a wider reach worldwide via TV.

Folk can be ignored (either electronically or literally), and for me, it's still the best and most interesting Tics forum, so we should make the best of it.

;)

I do miss this forum during the prem days, never any petty arguments about who's right, who's wrong, just a bunch of great posters expressing different views and have good discussions about the topic, and that was at a time this forum was alot more active with many different people across the planet.

I could look at a thread and have no need to write anything as the discussions back then gave me no reason. Now from what I see, I view a thread, and it only takes around 5 posts in before a whole page or 2, and usually more is filled by posts for the sole purpose of point scoring. Finding some good discussions related to the thread topic is like finding a needle in a haystack these days.

Either way, I don't know why I posted this, it's not like it won't make a difference to the forum, but it's still nice to see old posters here from 9 years ago, expressing the same feelings towards this topic than I do.

I was here during the Prem days and I don't think it was much different to the way it is now.

Pons great post above encapsulates the argument very well as confidence vs arrogance tying in with basic civility.

I joined this forum this time last yr but quickly gave up due to stuff like this. New season & after Sats great victory thought I’d try again but see little has changed.
Yes com on woody we are all tics ??. give it's few weeks mate

I thought once Barry (And Thorpy) left the forum would have died off.
We've seen some decent contributors come and go (e.g. Jonny from Suffolk) but I have to say nearly everyone posting for all their faults and with differing views seem decent and add a lot of value to the board.

Credit to the ones contributing on a regular basis and help keep the discussions flowing.

I thought once Barry (And Thorpy) left the forum would have died off.
We've seen some decent contributors come and go (e.g. Jonny from Suffolk) but I have to say nearly everyone posting for all their faults and with differing views seem decent and add a lot of value to the board.

Credit to the ones contributing on a regular basis and help keep the discussions flowing.

Surprised Barry/Worbo does not use the forum, most likely a reader, did miss writing articles for vital back then, not much traction for it these days.

Bloody hell fella's, some of you lot sound like a bunch of old women, banging on about not posting because of a few altercations, i'm more concerned about getting the real characters back on here, Truelatic4eva, Bricklatic etc. Lads who called a spade a spade and could take it as well as dish it out, the majority on here lately just want to be high fiving one another instead of saying it how it is and having the crack with the lads.

No wonder all the rum buggers aren't posting anymore with all the fussing, reporting and bans being dished out for the slightest thing, did you lot ever play football and hear the banter that went on in the dressing rooms?

Bloody hell fella's, some of you lot sound like a bunch of old women, banging on about not posting because of a few altercations, i'm more concerned about getting the real characters back on here, Truelatic4eva, Bricklatic etc. Lads who called a spade a spade and could take it as well as dish it out, the majority on here lately just want to be high fiving one another instead of saying it how it is and having the crack with the lads.

No wonder all the rum buggers aren't posting anymore with all the fussing, reporting and bans being dished out for the slightest thing, did you lot ever play football and hear the banter that went on in the dressing rooms?
played for years wigan sunday league

Does that include the "bunch of old women" who send someone not involved in this argument a personal message saying "hey ××××x xxxxxx that horrible ******** has been making accusations against you, but he deleted his post before anyone else saw it.

Wonder what the " real characters" and " rum buggers" would say about that spineless act.

Seeing as we're talking about the state of the forum,

I wasn't really contributing to any forum back in the Latics' Prem days so can't comment on that; I was 12 even when we were relegated in 2013 so as you can understand I was too young to really be on a forum like this. I think people seemed generally kinder and happier in the noughties; but that's probably because I was a young child and I guess you're quite sheltered then; everything seems better. But I can honestly say that, before I joined this forum last year, I had no idea that people could debate the sport in such great depth and detail. When me and my friends go to a game we don't really look at individual players' performances and the tactics of the side in a lot of detail, I guess we just go and watch the match and cheer our team on, and then just discuss the match with vague comments like 'he was decent' or 'he could've done better'. But sometimes I look at people's match reports, player ratings/assessments, views on style of play, and it's crazy how much people know.

You can tell there are some very intelligent and knowledgeable people on here. I honestly don't think I'll ever know as much as some of the posters about football, and that's not just because I'm younger than them. But all I can say is that through viewing and contributing to this forum, I genuinely believe that my own knowledge about the Latics, and the game in general, has increased by a significant amount. Not only that, but I've thoroughly enjoyed having discussions with other people on here, especially when I was studying for exams. It was a great release, and also really interesting to speak with people about the games. It has also been interesting to see the wide range of different personality types on here.

I think we've talked a lot about the bad sides of the forum, especially recently, but I think it's also important to remember the good sides. Like Moonay said, it's a very entertaining and insightful board to be on. So, although things can become a little petty at times with personal insults, I'd just like to say thank you to all the posters on here who have generally made it a very interesting and informative, but also friendly, place to be.

Last edited:
Happy clappers 1 vs 1 Doom mongers.
Think I’ll follow this game, the football is boring.
Pissed off but as Roberto used to say "take the positives". We improved from last year :

Less goals conceded and

No red card.

SACK Cook; sign some new players.

Wigan never like to peak too soon.