Happy Canada Day! | Page 2 | Vital Football

Happy Canada Day!

Spursex - 5/7/2017 13:41

Hope you had a good day 80..! (Sorry been away so a bit late)..

Now without looking; do you know who named you Canada or what the other names were being considered?

Cartier I think started the ball rolling.

Do you know what treaty and when brought you Quebec as a province that promoted state-hood

My guess would be Meech Lake although based on Statehood.

And who wrote your constitution.....

Pierre Trudeau repatriated our constitution. I haven't the foggiest who wrote it. The "Fathers of Confederation" is a long list that I know John A Macdonald was on.

Do you know what the original proposed colours of our flag were? And why it was changed?

I seem to recall that it was a union jack flag surrounded by red - at least that's what my cousin told me ? Or was it blue - I thought it changed when Canada decide it wanted it's own design?

That was the original Canadian flag. I meant the original design for the current flag which had the two red panels as blue to represent the Atlantic and Pacific oceans and a red maple leaf. However, the governing Liberal party of the time couldn't handle the preponderance of Tory blue in the flag and had it changed to all red. And jammed the approval through with their majority.

My father in law recently had the version with the blue panels made and flies it regularly. He thinks it is a better representation of Canada. He is a life long Liberal.

One of the most amusing things for me is tourists coming to Canada from Europe and finding out that it takes almost as long to fly to Vancouver from Toronto as it does from Toronto to Heathrow.

Nick Real Deal - 11/7/2017 17:18

Are Air Canada pilots trained on runway recognition ?

Lol why?

Air Canada's tag line: We're not happy until you're not happy.

A little frosty here.......

Attachments

• Temperature.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
Well, once again Canada Day and Vital Spurs meet. While Canada has its issues and we certainly have leadership problems this is still a terrific place to live.

As I look out at the sunrise over a lake in the Kawartha's I see all the incredible beauty that central Ontario has to offer. The Canadian Shield is one of the most magnificent geological forms on the planet and we are blessed with all the lakes and ruggedness it offers.

I am contemplating Vancouver Island, where my son will spend the next 10 months, and how lucky he will be to spend that time within relatively easy reach of Nanaimo, Tofino and Mt Washington. Not to mention Victoria itself. 3,384 kilometres away from Toronto. Haida Gwaii and salmon fishing beckon.

At the other end of the country lies Newfoundland. The one province we have not managed to spend any time in yet. Hiking Gros Morne is one of our must do's in the next 2-3 years. Many people are exploring the dying fishing villages that are just being rediscovered as great places to buy and either rebuild or build vacation homes. One of the key members of where I work is from Cook's Harbour NL, population 123. It doesn't get much more remote than that.

There are many other great places in the world that I have been or want to go. Many great people and cultures. But the feeling of equinamity, opportunity and the desire to explore never die here.

I hope everyone has a chance to spend time in Canada at some point during their lives. It would take several lifetimes to take it all in. But there is something for everyone.

We are very, very lucky.

Happy Canada Day.

Not sure they'd let you in. You can hide in my basement though....once I lock the beer fridge.

Canada seems to have a good deal with the EU. Free trade, Zero tarrifs, shared security initiatives, scientific and technology agreements, Maybe 80 can elaborate . It is thought Davies favoured a system similar to Canada.