Happy birthday | Vital Football

Happy birthday

Great player....in my humble opinion, could be a bit hit and miss...but on the whole great

Sorry but Tony Currie was GREAT, as was Alan Woodward, Jimmy Hagan and Joe Shaw. Want to reconsider your easy use of the word GREAT? Don't fall into the trap of todays crap where everything is "super" and "awesome"..
Mediocre is the new incredible.

Parent to other parent. "My Brittany can wipe her arse . Isn't that super awesome.?

Other parent. " Er not really, she's 15".

Sorry but Tony Currie was GREAT, as was Alan Woodward, Jimmy Hagan and Joe Shaw. Want to reconsider your easy use of the word GREAT? Don't fall into the trap of todays crap where everything is "super" and "awesome"..
Mediocre is the new incredible.

Parent to other parent. "My Brittany can wipe her arse . Isn't that super awesome.?

Other parent. " Er not really, she's 15".
I just think when the word Legend is thrown abart so easily these days it downgrades the real meanin of the word Legend Sean.Those ya mention were indeed LEGENDARY BLADES as was Sir Len Badger in my view.I agree wi Germaine's ratin of Paul Devlin in that he was ok/occasionally very good, for me Colin Morris was way in front of him as a BLADES winger.Hope tha well mi owd pal.UTMPB

Most wingers are inconsistent if they aren’t then they’re playing in the top sides either here or abroad I loved Colin Morris and always will but he only did it in the lower divisions it was always a surprise that no team from higher up came in for him,I’m pretty sure dev would have been more consistent and looked better if he had played for us in divs 3 and 4
i liked both players I thought they both did well for us

Most wingers are inconsistent if they aren’t then they’re playing in the top sides either here or abroad I loved Colin Morris and always will but he only did it in the lower divisions it was always a surprise that no team from higher up came in for him,I’m pretty sure dev would have been more consistent and looked better if he had played for us in divs 3 and 4
i liked both players I thought they both did well for us

Thought Morris loads better than Devlin who I thought was ok.

Like I say difference in divisions helped Morris I dont think there was that much between em dev did it at a higher level

Disagree. I remember Devlin scoring a wonder goal against Pompey? That aside he never got close to the contributions Morris made week in week out until a fractured cheekbone resulted in him neshing everything.

The thing I remember most about Dev is, when we were attacking the Kop end, him and Warnock trading (industrial language) insults at each other.
On the basis that you can get away with being really rude to someone, only if they are a friend, those two must have been really fond of each other. :wub:

Last edited:
He was never great, he was occasionally good. Played away at Bolton in a night match. ex pig Warhurst got his leg broken and it was al a but fiesty and the Bolton crowd were ,for once, quite noisy and well upset by our robust approach.

I had, on behalf of the hotel, sponsored the game ( still got the engraved decanter!) and we were seated in the home stand towards the away end when Devlin, tight to the touhline and just down from the dugouts, thumped their full back off the ball. The crowd close by were baying for blood and Warnock had seen this so substituted him sharpish.

Afterwards I was on my way to the boardroom to take back some of the stick I had been dishing out to them all week but was advised not to go in as matters between the 2 sets of directors were less than civil and fisticuffs were mentioned.

He could be a nasty piece of work at times for sure
i will always remember Morris more fondly but I just think sometimes we might put some gloss on them with time,forgetting what divisions we were in at the time

Disagree. I remember Devlin scoring a wonder goal against Pompey? That aside he never got close to the contributions Morris made week in week out until a fractured cheekbone resulted in him neshing everything.
I agree Beany and i'm sure Colin played for us in whats nar the championship.The way he used to dribble past full backs and put luvly crosses in for Keith to score was terrific.Morris far better than Devlin in my view.UTMPB

Happy birthday Oliver, what a GREAT acquisition you turned out to be. A credit to the club on and off the pitch, to think that you replaced hapless Evans.

As for Devin, I fell out with him when he turned all mardy arse and played for away. Good on his day but very often mediocre and total crap at the end.

I agree Beany and i'm sure Colin played for us in whats nar the championship.The way he used to dribble past full backs and put luvly crosses in for Keith to score was terrific.Morris far better than Devlin in my view.UTMPB

He joined us in the fourth. He played 2 seasons for us in the third and four seasons in the old Second division. Rather sadly, his last season coincided with relegation back to the third.

He joined us in the fourth. He played 2 seasons for us in the third and four seasons in the old Second division. Rather sadly, his last season coincided with relegation back to the third.
Colin's signin was announced on the day we lost 5-2 at Colchester,(it was on MotD as well) we only lost 4 in't league all season and they had to pick that one when we got battered.:giggle: We were in't Colchester's supporters club havin a few beers( it was above the goal at the away end) before the game,to get in we had to become members of said club and for quite a few years after that they sent me a letter askin me for my subs,:giggle: I went to every game that season(cups included)it was a very enjoyable season to see DEM MIGHTY BLADES winnin most weeks after what had been an horrific 4or5 seasons previous to that season.Can anyone else remember the song for Porterfield,We'll take more care of you Porterfield,Porterfield.UTMPB