Happy Birthday To God | Vital Football

Happy Birthday To God

In all seriousness happy birthday big man!

I've got 2 of his books, both signed personally to me.

I also remember not long after meeting Natalie I was out for a curry with her and a load of mates. I got very very very drunk and we started talking about if I had to.... I mean really had to... if my life depended on it.... be sodamised by another man, then I'd choose Paul McGrath.

Amazingly several years later she still married me.

What he used to do on the ball was just beyond comprehension, especially when you throw in his known off the field issues with drink and the famous knackered knees.

I remember young_jonah asking if it was just looking back with claret and blue specs. I was able to say, for once, no way. He was a genius and it was such a privilege to watch him play.

To win PFA Players Player of the year is always an achievement.

To win it as a defender is pretty remarkable.

To win it as a defender for an unfashionable team who won nothing that season just goes to show how good he was and how good his fellow professionals thought he was.

What he used to do on the ball was just beyond comprehension, especially when you throw in his known off the field issues with drink and the famous knackered knees.

I remember young_jonah asking if it was just looking back with claret and blue specs. I was able to say, for once, no way. He was a genius and it was such a privilege to watch him play.

]

my pictures of you!.......I love you really!

What he lacked in pace he more than made up in his reading of the game. For all his finesse he knew when to welly it into row z.
One of the all time greats.
Happy Birthday My Lord.

When I moved to the US in 1991 I sent a letter to Paul McGrath c/o Aston Villa. Essentially I was just thanking him for having the privilege of watching him play. Never expected a reply. Two weeks later I got a full page letter, hand written by God himself on Villa letterhead and a signed picture. It’s framed and prominently displayed on the wall of my home.
I went to see him play again at Giants Stadium in 1994. I was explaining to the friends I went with, just how good he was. They were dismissive. Then he put Roberto Baggio in his pocket for 90 minutes and they understood...

Feel sorry for those too young to have seem him play for us. He was a magician.

Sadly I only got to see him a few times at the end of his Villa career but what a legend, every single old school Villan I've talked to holds him in the highest regards. Happy birthday Paul.