Happy Birthday To Big Ron | Vital Football

Happy Birthday To Big Ron

Thomas Holte

Vital Football Legend
Big Ron hits 80 today!

Best wishes to a thoroughly good guy, Villa fan and one of my favourites managers down at the Villa...........:cheers::party:

header.jpgBigRonQuiz.jpg

Last edited:
Happy birthday Ron! He gave us stars and exciting attacking football, a league cup and 2nd place premier league, the equal highest (with Keegan) ever achieved by an English manager. Then he was sacked... explain. Thanks Doug.

Happy birthday Ron! He gave us stars and exciting attacking football, a league cup and 2nd place premier league, the equal highest (with Keegan) ever achieved by an English manager. Then he was sacked... explain. Thanks Doug.

He lost the plot in all fairness spending more time as a pundit at the World Cup that year The purchase of Fashanu and trying to flog Dwight Yorke to the dog heads etc. Still great times when he was there and some of the best football I’ve seen . Happy birthday BFR

Good time to be a Villa fan the Big Ron years, even though I struggled to take the red scouse cast offs to my heart if I'm honest. Yes I know they were good for us, but former bindippers nonetheless.
Happy birthday to a Kettering Town legend :eek!::grinning:

BFR Happy Birthday you made the club a happy place.

(I know he shot himself in the foot)

Legend , QPR away when we came 2nd , big fat Ron’s claret and blue army was sung for the whole match and half time non stop , and only he could pull off a full tracksuit and white slip on shoes , oh and a massive gold chain .

Isn't it shocking that the 1994 League Cup win was our last truly great moment. All the Yanited glory hunting fans had well and truly crawled out of the woodwork by then. According to them, we were only there to make up the numbers :clown:s the lot of them.

25 years...........:shake:

The win in 1996 was never in doubt.

Isn't it shocking that the 1994 League Cup win was our last truly great moment. All the Yanited glory hunting fans had well and truly crawled out of the woodwork by then. According to them, we were only there to make up the numbers :clown:s the lot of them.

25 years...........:shake:

The win in 1996 was never in doubt.

That song was turned into a football chant by the Holte Enders of the day......

Those were the days my friend,
we took the Stretford End,
We'd sing and fight forever and a day,
We'd fight and never lose,
We'd take the end we chose,
For we were young and sure to have our way.....

La la la la....

Well, it was around 1969 so it had to have some kind of "Villa agro" in it!:whist::grinning:

Last edited:
Possibly the most chuffed I've ever been in terms of appointing a new manager when Big Ron arrived....and he didn't let us down. Gutted when he was sacked. Too early in my opinion but Sir Brian didn't let us down either. The 90's was a good decade.....it seems a bloody long time ago in comparison to this one!

Good days. Think Deadly thought he was being upstaged. We were struggling a bit at the time but reckon we'd have pulled through. Thankfully, under Sir Brian we did.

Nice that our last League Cup and Last FA Cup were against United.

Good days. Think Deadly thought he was being upstaged. We were struggling a bit at the time but reckon we'd have pulled through. Thankfully, under Sir Brian we did.

Nice that our last League Cup and Last FA Cup were against United.
Pedant JP Healy here last league cup title was1996 versus mighty Leeds

Pedant JP Healy here last league cup title was1996 versus mighty Leeds
Correct JP. The 94 final was United. Remember coming out of the ground all singing where s your treble gone to the tune of chirpy chirpy cheep cheep.

That song was turned into a football chant by the Holte Enders of the day......

We'd sing and fight forever and a day,
We'd fight and never lose,
We'd take the end we chose,
For we were young and sure to have our way.....

La la la la....

Slightly embarrassing for a gentleman my age but I remember it well TH, although the version in my memory is slightly different.

we took the Kop, the North Bank Highbury.
We'd take end we'd chose,
we'd fight and never lose,
those were the days, oh yes those were the days.

La la la la

Not gonna fight you over it though...:surrender:

Sure there was a version of this as well.

Slightly embarrassing for a gentleman my age but I remember it well TH, although the version in my memory is slightly different.

we took the Kop, the North Bank Highbury.
We'd take end we'd chose,
we'd fight and never lose,
those were the days, oh yes those were the days.

La la la la

Not gonna fight you over it though...:surrender:

Sure there was a version of this as well.

Yes, I think you may be right!

The above was something like.....

I was born under the Holte End Stand....I was born under the Holte End Stand,

Boots were made for kicking,
Guns were made to shoot,

And if you come up the Holte End we'll all stick in the boot,

I was born under the Holte End Stand.

Such friendly and welcoming songs were sung in those days - I don't think!

I first came across BFR as a player for Oxford United during my short time in that city in 1964/1965.
So he and I go back a long way.
Happy Birthday!