Happy Birthday To Big Ron | Page 2 | Vital Football

Happy Birthday To Big Ron

I first came across BFR as a player for Oxford United during my short time in that city in 1964/1965.
So he and I go back a long way.
Happy Birthday!

In 1969 as a 15-year-old kid, I was asked to go for a weeks trial at Oxford United that turned into a couple of months but sadly I never fully made it and they released me in the summer break.

Big Ron was coming to the end of his playing career and when he found out I was from Aston and a Villa fan as well and he took me under his wing so to speak and looked after me.

On several occasions, he stopped me from being bullied by the other senior players as they thought at the time that sort of behavior was perfectly acceptable and normal towards young apprentices.

I've never ever forgotten his kindness and on the odd occasion the good advice he gave me during my short time at Oxford United, therefore, he has always been a man I have respected and I was very proud when he became the Villa manager but not half as proud as Big Ron the Villa fan I'm sure.

Last edited:
Big Ron was fantastic, wlremember a forum at the drakes drum with him. They hung him out to dry and that crook redknapp gets smoke blown up his arse, it makes my blood boil.

Yes, I think you may be right!

The above was something like.....

I was born under the Holte End Stand....I was born under the Holte End Stand,

Boots were made for kicking,
Guns were made to shoot,

And if you come up the Holte End we'll all stick in the boot,

I was born under the Holte End Stand.

Such friendly and welcoming songs were sung in those days - I don't think!
Tiptoe through the Tilton with a shot gun and a razor blade