Happy Armed Forces Day | Vital Football

Happy Armed Forces Day

I've got mates literally around the world , who I'd served with.
People tend to lose touch after leaving the forces , and it wasn't till the internet and social media came along , that we could all get back in touch. I shall be eternally grateful for what technology has provided us with.

FIGHT WAR NOT WARS

Article here by Joe Glenton, who is an Afghanistan veteran, journalist and author. He suggests that Armed Forces Day is, "in truth is a whole week of jingoistic events", and that:
"There is no small irony in the fact that the same arms firms that have provided the weapons to kill Yemeni children will be funding “fun” events for British children this weekend."

Article here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...-manufacturers-arms-bae-systems-a8980321.html

I see it as an opportunity for local communities to say thankyou to those who serve and gain an insight into what opportunities are available. Some towns rely on the armed forces for their local job opportunities, much as chatham used to.

Politicians determine where they serve and what countries we can export military products to. Not those who serve on the front line.

I see it as an opportunity for local communities to say thankyou to those who serve and gain an insight into what opportunities are available. Some towns rely on the armed forces for their local job opportunities, much as chatham used to.

Politicians determine where they serve and what countries we can export military products to. Not those who serve on the front line.
Hear hear 👍

I agree with your second paragraph entirely, and your first paragraph partially.

What I don't agree with is the arms trade. By all means respect and honour the men and women who have served the country but arms companies shouldn't be allowed to sponsor events associated with Armed Forces Day.

I should disclose that the industry has given me a decent 35 year career !

Mark, please tell me you don't work in the arms trade.

Last edited:
I

Mark, please tell me you don't work in the arms trade.

I call it the aerospace industry buddha but I am well aware what some of the platforms are designed for.

I spend time at an active RAF station. Pilots go up every day conducting surveillance and looking for those that wish us harm

I am very proud to do my bit to support those who put themselves in danger.

I don't always agree with the political decisions this country makes in terms of overseas interventions but as I said earlier that's not down to those who serve.

Might be best if you and I agree to disagree on this one Bud !

I call it the aerospace industry buddha but I am well aware what some of the platforms are designed for.

I spend time at an active RAF station. Pilots go up every day conducting surveillance and looking for those that wish us harm

I am very proud to do my bit to support those who put themselves in danger.

I don't always agree with the political decisions this country makes in terms of overseas interventions but as I said earlier that's not down to those who serve.

Might be best if you and I agree to disagree on this one Bud !

Sure, let's agree to disagree. Don't want to fall out with you, I like you too.