Happy Birthday To "The Gaffer" Mr Ron Saunders. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Happy Birthday To "The Gaffer" Mr Ron Saunders.

Sorry to hear that, Sir Den. I went through similar with my mom in 2012. She’d suffered from it for a few years, but you only realise that too late.

Will always be 'The Gaffer'. Never a better manager at this club. Great, great man.

Many happy returns of the day.

Great memories tinged with a deep sadness that such a strong man and his family should have to spend their twighlight years in such suffering.
Dementia is a tragic way to end such an acomplished life, as those of us who have experienced the condition know.

Being a teenager and young man through those halcyon days, I kind of thought that they would never end, let alone end so abruptly. Such a footballing tragedy that he never made it to Rotterdam and that what he built was allowed to fall apart so quickly without him.

Keep fighting big man, your name and accomplishments will live on forever within the history of the institution that is Aston Villa.

Last edited:
Please, may I just point out that today isn't Ron's birthday. It's a resurrected thread from 6th November 2017 which is the actual date of his birthday.

An additional update regarding Ron's current medical condition has been added.

An easy mistake to make however it does give people a platform to leave heartfelt messages.raf,750x1000,075,t,5a1f32_a6197194c6.u2.jpg

Last edited:
So sad to hear about the greatest manager I was lucky enough to have witnessed at Villa from start to finish truly memorable days can't bring myself to read the article cus I just don't want dementia to be my last memory of such a hero of mine. Really can't explain the impression this brilliant man had on me as a teenager cutting my teeth as a fledgling Villa fan my first away match was under his tenure winning 4-0 at Sheffield Wednesday to clinch promotion a treat off my uncle and what a treat it was that was me hooked forever great memories.

Apologies for the confusion about the birthday. I was sure there was a thread for Sir Ron and put it on here without too much thought. Just shows that somebody as tough and disciplined as Ron is prey to this horrible condition. Have family experience of it and looked after my mother in law for 3 years. It isn't a dignified way to end your life. My thoughts are with his family.

Being a younger Villan I missed out on Ron's reign, shame, my Dad says I would of loved the football and events of that era, crazy to learn he was Villa Legend status and then rocked up at the blues as their number one.

Understand that changing the stand name in relation to Doug might be inappropriate at this time but surely renaming the North Stand could be a thought?

North Stand = Ron Saunders Memorial Suite
Trinity Road = William McGregor Stand

Happy 86thbirthday to "The Gaffer"

You can see why the players used to call pre-season training "Brutal" as with everything he did, Ron lead from the front and we were probably the fittest team in the league.

Did you know that of the 36 Englishmen who have won the league title as managers only two are still alive.

Howard Wilkinson won it with Leeds 25 years ago in the final campaign before the Premier League began.

The other is our very own Mr Ron Saunders, who outwitted Bobby Robson, Brian Clough and Bob Paisley in 1981 to lead Aston Villa to our only league title in the last 108. years.

Ron is a top, top man and it breaks my heart to think he is now suffering from dementia - It just doesn't seem right that a man so strong-minded could end up with this awful illness but sadly it can hit anyone.

3E5E94A000000578-4347212-The_training_regime_for_his_sides_was_tough_and_pre_seasons_were-a-14...jpg3E999F9F00000578-4347212-Saunders_salutes_the_Villa_Park_crowd_in_2006_during_his_first_r-a-15...jpg