Happy Birthday To "The Gaffer" Mr Ron Saunders. | Page 4 | Vital Football

Happy Birthday To "The Gaffer" Mr Ron Saunders.

Read his book "The odd man out" and in his playing days he was incredibly fit , which you can see by that photo. As he was fitter than most players at that time he was a successful footballer as well and showed that really he was ahead of his time , something he bought into management. He was so much more than just a "hard man" he was very shrewd and a great judge of a player.

Words will never be enough to describe him.
Happy birthday to the greatest Villa manager ever and thanks for making the seemingly impossible possible.
There should be a statue outside Villa Park of him and Tony Barton to commemorate their achievements.

Lovely picture. My first Villa trophy aged 11. Will never forget that day.

Yes, I thought it was so good no words were necessary.

Interesting to see captain Ian Ross making sure the gaffer looks right by placing a Villa scarf around his neck.

Also in the background Jimmy Brown and John Gidman.

I forgot how those kipper ties were all the rage:grinning:

Yes, I thought it was so good no words were necessary.

Interesting to see captain Ian Ross making sure the gaffer looks right by placing a Villa scarf around his neck.

Also in the background Jimmy Brown and John Gidman.

I forgot how those kipper ties were all the rage:grinning:

Yes I noticed John Gidman there.

Sir Brian was brilliant that day , pure class.

My ‘first’ manager as a kid.
Had the pleasure of getting his autograph about 8yrs ago at a charity game in Sutton. I was in total awe.
A proper mans man.

Attachments

• 493B7CBF-1E8C-401D-84D0-CD2938802C13.jpeg
    493B7CBF-1E8C-401D-84D0-CD2938802C13.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
Recommend reading "odd man out" a biography of Ron. Doug wanted him out virtually from the start which caused a lot of friction behind the scenes.
I was at Arsenal when we were losing 2-0 in our final match of the title winning season and Ipswich were winning at Middlesborough 0-1. With a game in hand Ipswich could still win the title. In the second half almighty roars went round Highbury as Middlesborough scored 2 goals to win and we were champions. Thank you Ron Saunders for so many great memories.

As stated, what a great time to be a Villan, the only downside is as a 15 year old I thought this was going to be the norm. Thank you for the memories Boss, our greatest without a doubt. Made of rock as well, did he not walk around with a broken neck for years?

I make the claim that those who follow the fortunes of the team which wears claret and blue cannot be bettered.
I'm a Villan - and there are many thousands like me.
Generally speaking I believe it is fair to say that when it comes to decent behaviour our supporters are the tops.
I rate them so highly that I consider myself one of them, with the rider than I am also fortunate enough to be the manager of Aston Villa and in that way I represent them.
I must admit that when I walk along the track to the dugout I feel somewhat embarrassed as people put their arms out to touch me or shake me by the hand.
I just consider myself lucky that I happen to be the manager of their club and, as I said earlier, I regard myself as one of them.

Happy birthday Ron
It’s all been said.
Why not The Ron Saunders End
After all it was the Witton End
So when they rebuild it there’s no question. It stays The Ron Saunders End

Happy birthday Ron
It’s all been said.
Why not The Ron Saunders End
After all it was the Witton End
So when they rebuild it there’s no question. It stays The Ron Saunders End

Good idea. The Holte End one way and the Ron Saunders End kicking the other way. Then the Dennis Mortimer Stand could be the old Witton Lane just like leaving Trinity Road for renaming.