Happy 40th Birthday - Ledley King | Vital Football

Happy 40th Birthday - Ledley King

muttley

Alert Team
On 12th October 1980, a true Spurs legend was born in Bow, London. Of Antiguan descent, his parents named him Ledley Brenton King. Happy 40th b’day Ledley.

As a youngster, Ledley played for Senrab FC and Tower Hamlets before becoming a trainee at Spurs in July 96. By May 99, Ledley had made his debut against Liverpool away……as a midfielder. He eventually became our cultured captain fantastic and, for me, Spurs best ever centre half in my lifetime with 323 appearances for the club - quick, 2-footed and comfortable on the ball. A player that had the best positional sense and reading of the game that I have ever seen and made everyone around him look better. He also only picked up 8 yellow cards in an entire career. I’m sure Hojberg can beat that before Xmas!!!

Then there was this quote from another legend of the game….

"He is like a magnet for the ball, a thoroughbred of a defender and the best centre-half in the country. Kingwould get the ball off you without you even noticing … he's the only defender in England who doesn't hold onto you, and he sometimes still gets the ball off my feet easily." – Thierry Henry

Clearly, blighted by the knee injuries in the second half of his career and, as a consequence, only got 21 caps for his country. As an England fan, I feel I missed out on seeing Rio and Ledley together for their country. That partnership should have amassed over 50 caps together and been unrivalled. Although brief, I probably enjoyed the King / Woodgate partnership the most in our colours, which of course yielded the only trophy.

Finally, I’m also encouraged that Ledley gets to be part of this next chapter of our history. His own career didn’t yield the amount of trophies his talent deserved. He can now help the current crop to get over the finish line and get some silverware.

So roll on the plaudits for one of the greats !!!

On 12th October 1980, a true Spurs legend was born in Bow, London. Of Antiguan descent, his parents named him Ledley Brenton King. Happy 40th b’day Ledley.

As a youngster, Ledley played for Senrab FC and Tower Hamlets before becoming a trainee at Spurs in July 96. By May 99, Ledley had made his debut against Liverpool away……as a midfielder. He eventually became our cultured captain fantastic and, for me, Spurs best ever centre half in my lifetime with 323 appearances for the club - quick, 2-footed and comfortable on the ball. A player that had the best positional sense and reading of the game that I have ever seen and made everyone around him look better. He also only picked up 8 yellow cards in an entire career. I’m sure Hojberg can beat that before Xmas!!!

Then there was this quote from another legend of the game….

"He is like a magnet for the ball, a thoroughbred of a defender and the best centre-half in the country. Kingwould get the ball off you without you even noticing … he's the only defender in England who doesn't hold onto you, and he sometimes still gets the ball off my feet easily." – Thierry Henry

Clearly, blighted by the knee injuries in the second half of his career and, as a consequence, only got 21 caps for his country. As an England fan, I feel I missed out on seeing Rio and Ledley together for their country. That partnership should have amassed over 50 caps together and been unrivalled. Although brief, I probably enjoyed the King / Woodgate partnership the most in our colours, which of course yielded the only trophy.

Finally, I’m also encouraged that Ledley gets to be part of this next chapter of our history. His own career didn’t yield the amount of trophies his talent deserved. He can now help the current crop to get over the finish line and get some silverware.

So roll on the plaudits for one of the greats !!!
Unbelievable player , very rarely trained because of his knee problem , certainly didn’t train to the same extent as everyone else .
I love the “My one and only Club “ quote .
he really is a living legend at Tottenham .
Happy Birthday Ledley , Great player , we are so lucky to have him back at the club .
The King was born in more ways than one