Hanlon | Vital Football

Hanlon

MedwayModernist

Vital Squad Member
Just wondering how good this lad actually is, and how well he's played so far?

Don't get to too many games now, but seems like people are raving about him. Is he a raw pace type player? Bit more refined? Sounds like a great steal again from Charlton (which is always good for me given how many window lickers there are in Bromley)

UTG

*Hanlan....

Last edited:
Just wondering how good this lad actually is, and how well he's played so far?

Don't get to too many games now, but seems like people are raving about him. Is he a raw pace type player? Bit more refined? Sounds like a great steal again from Charlton (which is always good for me given how many window lickers there are in Bromley)

UTG

*Hanlan....

Only seen him once but looks to be a real prospect to me. If he carries on playing like on Saturday, he could well be a championship level player in a year or so.

He was brilliant against Burton. His pace, touch and vision were, for me, the best aspects of hie performance. Assisted both of Eaves' goals and could, maybe should, have had one or two himself.

Wasn't at Accrington but according to Lancs his performance there was equally impressive.

Obviously he's only had the two games but he's got off to a flying start. Very promising.

He's very quick, also seems very strong (as shown by the way he knocked the Burton defender off the ball for the chance where he hit the bar on Saturday).

I do think though that some people are getting a little bit carried away at this stage, I've seen talk on here already of tying him down to a longer contract, playing at a higher level, etc. He's a young lad who I would say has had one good game (Accrington) and one outstanding game (Burton).

In the same way as we tend to say we should give the side 10 games into a season before judging how we're doing, I think we need to do the same with the players. Yes, he's made a fantastic start to his Gills career, and if he does carry on like this, we'll have a great player on our hands. But for his sake as much as anything else, I don't think it does him any favours to go overboard on the basis of two games, it puts a lot of pressure on him, and there are bound to be dips in form along the way.

Anyone scouting us on Saturday will have identified Hanlan as a man to be weary of. As such I can see teams setting up differently (dropping deeper to deny him the space) to counter his strengths. This will work to the advantage of other players but I doubt we'll get to see Hanlan run riot too often to the extent that he did against Burton. Fortunately there appears to be more to his game than just pace.

Comments to that effect from Lovell here:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/sport/lovell-leads-applause-for-hanlan-187918/

I think most fans are realistic enough to know young players can have one terrific game followed by a couple of nightmares, however, after years of watching boring negative football a little bit of excitement after such a good start is perhaps understandable.

MM, he is definitely worth getting off yer 'Arris for, especially compred to last season's home performances. Get yourself a ticket for the next home game, otherwise you'll regret it!

MM, he is definitely worth getting off yer 'Arris for, especially compred to last season's home performances. Get yourself a ticket for the next home game, otherwise you'll regret it!

First game this year is due to be AFC at home - cricket season finishes the week before

Of course its early days but you can already see pace, strength and a desire to be first to the ball. Compare this to the first few games you saw Wilkinson in. Do you see a difference ?

Hanlan looks a threat everytime he has the ball. I don't fell the same when Wilkinson does. I accept Portsmouth away was different but that was the only time he has looked like a real striker to me.

Hanlan and Eaves as a partnership is very promising.

A magnificent start to his Gills career without a doubt .I loudly offered Cody in exchange for him during Saturday's game.Needless to say there were no takers.Many of the same people would have taken up that offer a few days ago.