Hanlon gets an improved offer from the Gills | Vital Football

Hanlon gets an improved offer from the Gills

The fact we’d be due compensation if he left is good news. Might put potential suitors off with money so tight. I’m pretty sure SE would get more productivity out if him. Here’s hoping.

As I understand the rules, for us to be eligible for compensation, we'd have to have offered him an improvement on his previous deal. With the situation the way it is, if he's got an improved offer from us and is still undecided, you'd have to assume he's got interest from elsewhere. Or possibly, going by Evans' comment ("There is no bad feeling whatsoever but I think he has had some poor advice"), he's got an agent putting ideas in his head about moving.

Hope he does sign, he's still young, and I get the impression that with a little help from the management and coaches, there's an excellent player in there.

Hope he does sign, he's still young, and I get the impression that with a little help from the management and coaches, there's an excellent player in there.

Completely agree. One of those situations where if he does move on it could all click into place and he becomes that clubs biggest asset - let's make it us!

I`ll be surprised if Brandon leaves the Gills. Our style of play suits him - and vice versa; with respect to Brandon, a club looking for a out and out goal scorer might not be that impressed with his goal scoring record. His speed and positivity are assets that suit SE`s style, especially now we have two big strong central attackers. Pitch the security of a GFC contract and the knowledge that he is definitely in SE`s plans against the gamble of a new start and pressure/expectation to score goals elsewhere ? If he goes then good luck to him but, hopefully he`ll stay and be a part of a Gills` side headed in the right direction.

A Donny fan on OneFootball forum reckon he’s rumoured to be in talks with them.
I guess our improved offer wasn’t enough then.
I wonder if we offered him equal or better terms than his last contract? If not then I’m not surprised he’s moving on.

I'm probably going against the grain here but I've honestly not been that bothered whether he stays or goes.

I appreciate Hanlan works his socks off and has some skill but was very frustrating to watch at times missing good opportunities to score.

I think some Gills fans value him better than he actually is.
The thing is he has massive potential. But at the same time if he carries on seemingly panicking in front of goal he is going to end up lower than he is now. It is the chance you take .If he suddenly clicks in six months time he could be worth about a million. Evans is perhaps prepared to take a punt with him but clearly has made a modest offer maybe with big bonuses.
If that is the case with Gillingham and perhaps other offers he might be waiting to see what the competition is like .Because he will not score if he is not playing regularly. That might go both ways if Evans gets his targets I think he will leave.

Last edited:
With Oliver and Akinde signed on a permanent basis and Coyle on loan, we have a potentially more potent attack than the last couple of seasons with Hanlan who can flatter to deceive.

If he goes, we will probably need one more striker for squad numbers but I seriously doubt that he will just click and suddenly become an instinctive goal scorer, for all his raw pace and ability to unsettle defenders. If Donny sign him, I doubt that they will play him as a central striker.

He will, of course, score against us. :slap:

Possibly Evans feels that it isn't going to happen but feels that Brandon is worth keeping anyway .Or he is happy to see Brandon go.IE if the offer isn't that great but better than he was on.Gillingham could still get a small fee if he goes elsewhere.

I'm probably going against the grain here but I've honestly not been that bothered whether he stays or goes.

I appreciate Hanlan works his socks off and has some skill but was very frustrating to watch at times missing good opportunities to score.

I think some Gills fans value him better than he actually is.
I agree with this. If he stays all well and good, however I wouldn’t risk breaking the bank for him. He’s a handful to play against and works hard. But I just do not see him “clicking” and turning into a regular scorer. Especially as his game time could (possibly) be more limited this season than last.

If he leaves - not fussed. But good luck to him elsewhere.

I agree with this. If he stays all well and good, however I wouldn’t risk breaking the bank for him. He’s a handful to play against and works hard. But I just do not see him “clicking” and turning into a regular scorer. Especially as his game time could (possibly) be more limited this season than last.

If he leaves - not fussed. But good luck to him elsewhere.

I am in this camp as well.

He's not consistent enough to be one of the main strikers. I think we have recruited his replacement. If he does stay then he may have limited game time anyway. Great potential but just not composed enough in front of goal.

If Hanlan goes am I right in saying there won't be any players left from before SE took over? Not counting Ogilvie as he was on loan. Must be the biggest turnover ever

I wonder if we offered him equal or better terms than his last contract?

I think we need to do the 'equal or better' offer in order to qualify for the age-related tribunal/development fee (not to mention the sell-ons!)

If Hanlan goes am I right in saying there won't be any players left from before SE took over? Not counting Ogilvie as he was on loan. Must be the biggest turnover ever

That could well be right. Young Jack Tucker was probably here before, as well as Joe Walsh but not in the squad.

But I’d imagine across any pair of 2 seasons there’d be maybe an 80% or more turnover. It’s only the club legends that stay multiple seasons. And the current 2 of ours have moved on basically because of age and fitness in Byrne and Fuller.

Others on here will have seen much more of him but he always struck me as a talented player with a slightly odd skillset; good touch, uses his speed well, making clever runs behind the defence, but poor in front of goal. He also seems good at spotting the right passes to pick out a teammate in space.

It reminds me of something in Infinite Jest, talking about junior tennis players and whether their strengths add up to make a coherent whole, I'm not sure they quite do in Hanlan's case.

Agree with Bromley and Rob100. Would like him to stay and he might eventually "click" in front of goal but not worth paying high wages for him in the present situation.