Hammered - Where Did It All Go Wrong? | Vital Football

Hammered - Where Did It All Go Wrong?

Good article Tuckster.

I would like to write a long piece but am too busy with work which is far more important than football all the time but especially now.

Therefore I can sum up with the same old comments I have made for years and even more recently.The Smiffs cannot own an established premier league football club and more worryingly do not want to.

The self funded experiment for the premier league has totally failed.
This is off the back of at least 4 regular starters coming from youth policy, 3 or 4 more from free or low price signings and remainder being journeymen from
European countries.
This is the best it is ever going to get. We are very unlikely to have a good championship squad brought together for such low cost ever again.

The funds for the premier league battle were minute. Tuckster, it may have added up to about £ 10 million but that was still about half what Sheffield United paid for McBurnie. It was way too small, even for an assault on promotion from Championship these days.

We were all happy to see players given new contracts, but of course they were going to sign. More money and playing in premier league with a club they already knew well. However the squad needed at least 3 good experienced players to help the current youngsters out.
That may well have secured our survival.

What little money was available was wasted.
Apart from Byram ( was was only seen as cover for Lewis anyway ), the other loans and signings were a disaster.
Loans. Fahrmann, Roberts, Amadou and Duda : Either misjudged or not used properly by Farke. Either way left early or stayed without being committed.
4 expensive loans who appeared to have less quality than already here.

Permanent signings. Drmic and Rupp in January ( for championship ).
Cannot score and played out of position.

Records will show that in the majority of the premier league matches, the starting XI were nearly always made up of the inexperienced championship
players from previous season.

Just like last season, it could have worked given a lot of luck as there were a few weak teams in the league but they were still physically stronger than us and changed tactics to suit situations and ultimately got much better.

Starting at the top, the Smiffs need to sell up. You can mention Wigan but there are success stories and we need need richer and more ambitious owners.
The time to sell was a year ago. As players are sold and money used to keep the crazy self funded failure going, it will not be long before a buyer will be required for a lower championship club with no star players of big value and approaching debt again. Will the big chance have gone ?

SW had little to work with but all the signings have been failures.
He has to take a bit of the blame.

DF had a small inexperienced squad but refused to change tactics and we were easily sussed out until it got to point when teams at bottom of league were easily able to beat us due to being totally predictable.
That together with strange team selections and leaving substitutions way too late, leaves him with some of the blame.

The players. Talented but weak, inexperienced and often played out of position or left out wrongly. Ignoring the games in front of empty stadiums when they really got found out, I resolve them of any blame.

As YB says the Smiffs are the common factor. SW has openly stated he will leave at end of his contract, DF may or may not stay much longer and players will be sold and money used to buy players with less quality.
They will all come and go but the Smiffs will stick it out and as the common factor have to take the majority of the blame.

We are now a championship club, with Smiffs hanging manger, players and fans out to dry and now take all the stick from media and fans of other clubs.

If they have any love for NCFC, they will sell up and leave it up to more capable owners who actually want to own an established premier league club.
Whilst Sheffield United play in Europe I will be preparing for yet another visit to the flat pack stadium ( if we are lucky enough to be allowed in ).

Last edited:
Superb analysis DG and you say all that I feel right now . Today I feel heartbroken , upset and very angry . I just don’t know how much longer I can carry on supporting our club whilst the dreadful selfish Smiths sit smugly and smile while our precious club goes down the pan , and all for the sake of leaving the club to nephew Tom . How bloody selfish can you get ?

I now question the point of next season as every win we cheer will take us nearer to promotion and having to face the heartbreak, humiliation and embarrassment AGAIN that any true fan must be feeling today . Things MUST a change if we are not to face a 6th relegation from the Premier League .

This relegation is born (just like 3 of the others ) of the refusal of the Smiths to invest in the club , or if they financially couldnt , find someone who can . They employed a director in Webber who has proved to me how poor he is at buying the players we need , and DG has listed them in his article . I note that some of the players he bought for Huddersfield Town relegated them as well . Is he the great Measiah we thought was so great ? I think not . That is now two clubs where his purchases have lead to relegation.

Farke got lucky last season but has been well and truly found out this season , with his bizarre formations , substitutions and crazy pre and post match comments. Some might say with justification that he is operating with his hands tied behind his back , but he has actively supported the Smiths way of running the club and he should also take the blame for what has happened . The facts and table don’t lie..... we are the worst Norwich Premier League team EVER , and that’s saying somthing when I had to suffer watching the likes of Dorans, Whitaker , Martin and Jerome operate in this League

All of you at NC should hang your heads in shame over this horrific humiliating relegation , and leave and let people run the club who have hunger, grit , passion and a burning determination to success

YB.
A great post and I totally agree with you.
If only we had owners, directors, manager and coaches who had half the passion we supporters on vital feel for the club and the ambition of being established in the premier league.
The last we heard from the smiffs was that appalling home video from their suffolk conservatory saying how they were desperately looking forward to seeing all the fans back at Carrow Road.
Smiffs. I can tell you one thing. I would not look forward to that too much as when the day does eventually come, we will be mid table in championship at best and a lot of fans may not be coming back.
Firstly we have a lot of elderly fans who may decide it is time to call it a day.
I know several of my Dad's friends have not renewed.
Secondly even supporters of 50 years like myself are close to having had enough of the lack of ambition and failure to live modern times.
Thirdly the fans who do come back are likely to be short of funds and will not put up with you much longer.
You may actually hear a lot of boo's and calls for you to go.

The Smiffs only speak when things are going well.
Maybe they will be quiet for a long time.

Last edited:
DF

I am here on a long term contract, so it is not a topic we need to even speak about. We are totally united. I have a relationship with the board full of support and total trust.

He also said he is confident of his top stars not leaving...unfortunately for him the decision will be down to Webber. I'm not too concerned if Godfrey goes as his positioning and decision making is poor. We need a fresh back 4 next season. Last season it was an average defence and let in goals....DF didn't think it's be an issue in a better league and it's been dreadful so next season we will need a fresh defence. McMullen, famewo, Hanley, byram and add Thomas at right back cover plus Zimmermann and another central defender and another left back. Klose is past it for me, Aarons is rather the money and Lewis in not bothered. He is good getting forward but not great defending. We will also need a better back up to if ox is going out on loan

Thanks Tuckster.
3 fans agreeing with me so far.
I really hope that the majority of the fans can see through the Smiffs as I have done for many years but still get few fans to agree.
Maybe in these days of protests our fans will finally make a move to show the Smiffs they have way outstayed their welcome.

There are more joining DGs point of view . The comments over on the front page are in agreement that the Smiths have to go of we are to pull ourselves away from the second rate little old Norwich of the lovely charming cook that is Delia Smith