Halloween | Page 2 | Vital Football

Halloween

As I just posted in the "annoyed" thread, nothing about Hallowe'en is American, all they have done is popularise it. In fact the only really modern creation is the dropping of the apostrophe in the contraction itself.

I guess it could be argued that the American tendency to dress in pretty much any fancy dress costume rather than something depicting the occult is their creation but that part seems to have not been adopted in Europe anyway with everyone dressing up as ghosts, vampires and other "horror" icons.

Most scholars agree that it is most definitely not an American tradition, quite the contrary with the celebration having its roots in the Celtic British Isles with many believing that it is in fact a Christian festival but others linking it to the pagan past. Also, the concept of dressing up, wearing masked and going door to door for treats is also Celtic/Northern European in its origin. All the Americans have done is embrace it and as a result it has regained/is regaining popularity in Northern Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween

I'm not sure of that's a philosophical statement or you just taking the piss Lee. lol

Can't stand Halloween - Trick or Treat is just mugging in disguise.
Any other day of the year if a strange kid came up to you and demanded money or sweets or whatever just because they were dressed in a costume you'd tell them where to go! (In certain areas... in other's you'd probably get a knife pulled on you!)

Villan Of The North - 1/11/2013 11:14

NI Villan - 31/10/2013 15:13

I don't mind halloween but, as a dog owner, I take issue with people setting off fireworks for the entire week preceding it.

Since when did Hallowe'en and fireworks go together? Very strange!

Halloween had the biggest fireworks display of the year where I grew up. Fireworks were synonymous with halloween.
When I came to England and heard them, in the week leading up to halloween, I assumed that's what they were for. Apparently not.

NI Villan - 1/11/2013 18:37

Villan Of The North - 1/11/2013 11:14

NI Villan - 31/10/2013 15:13

I don't mind halloween but, as a dog owner, I take issue with people setting off fireworks for the entire week preceding it.

Since when did Hallowe'en and fireworks go together? Very strange!

Halloween had the biggest fireworks display of the year where I grew up. Fireworks were synonymous with halloween.
When I came to England and heard them, in the week leading up to halloween, I assumed that's what they were for. Apparently not.

No, we English use fireworks to celebrate the execution by burning of a failed Catholic assasin. I'm sure it's a popular concept in NI? :56: lol

Villan Of The North - 1/11/2013 20:04

NI Villan - 1/11/2013 18:37

No, we English use fireworks to celebrate the execution by burning of a failed Catholic assasin. I'm sure it's a popular concept in NI? :56: lol

Haha. Was a popular concept once upon a time (probably still is but I'm an optimist).

Fireworks were illegal outside organised displays (they tended to be aimed at the police).

Just googled Guy Fawkes night. Yippee, 3 more days of the dog going bananas. :26:

Villan Of The North - 1/11/2013 20:04

That would depend on what foot you kick with....
Fireworks - what a posh word. We always called them squibs and they were a big part of Halloween when I was growing up.

Absolutely the best horror film ever made. Now re-released on blue-ray. Fuck me I'm scared shitless just thinking about it...flap!