Halifax Town (n/g) | Vital Football

Halifax Town (n/g)

PhilK66

Vital 1st Team Regular
Pleased to see them top of the NL. I've always had a soft spot for them since we put them out of the League. Also because the incomparable Mike Burgess, arguably our toughest ever defender, came from them.

Spider was, indeed, one hell of a defender and never took any prisoners back in the days when men were men and women were glad of it. Actually, when thinking back on it... we've had a good few defenders who were made of granite... I'll just start off with a couple although I could probably reel off at least 20...

I offer:

Dave Quirk
Terry Simpson
Bullet Lindsay.

Personally, I hope they crash and burn.

A few years ago while they were in the Conference North I was in the hospitality suite of one of their competitors. Frankly I have never met such a stuck up group of arrogant pr*cks. One of them actually said "Of course, we will only be in this division for one season, unlike you"!

I then mentioned that I was in fact from Gillingham and did he remember our last match. I must admit that i had a quiet chuckle when they got relegated back to that division.

Spider was, indeed, one hell of a defender and never took any prisoners back in the days when men were men and women were glad of it. Actually, when thinking back on it... we've had a good few defenders who were made of granite... I'll just start off with a couple although I could probably reel off at least 20...

I offer:

Dave Quirk
Terry Simpson
Bullet Lindsay.

Apart from mis-spelling 'Alec', you missed out Dennis Hunt

Big Shipp.

Jou Jacques and Alan Walker are the toughest I can remember. I recall Walker smashing his head against the post v Maidstone (iirc)

I live in Halifax and the club have gone through more dramas and upheaval than most, however they have some decent people involved now and a passionate fan base.

I know a lot of Fax fans and they are a good bunch, all speak highly of the Gills and definitely no arrogance.

Apart from mis-spelling 'Alec', you missed out Dennis Hunt
I've already suffered the ignominy of being called out in public about my spelling mistake..... it was a typo that I didn't pick up on when I registered or maybe it was just a brain freeze - who knows but yes, you are of course correct in saying he is Alec, not Alex.

Regarding Denis Hunt - there, too, you are correct in putting him in the list, as I would have had I just wanted to reel off the names of all the same type of players I have seen wearing a Gills shirt. I only offered three to try to get a response and maybe see a name or two I really had forgotten. Hope that clears things up

I live in Halifax and the club have gone through more dramas and upheaval than most, however they have some decent people involved now and a passionate fan base.

I know a lot of Fax fans and they are a good bunch, all speak highly of the Gills and definitely no arrogance.
I worked in Greetland for 10 years in the 90's. For the first 4 months, I lodged there too and went to the Shay a few times with colleagues. Yup, a decent bunch of fans, which is what surprised me about the arrogance. I hope it has changed. They are after all just a small town near Huddersfield.

They smashed the Squatters yesterday, so they're alright in my book. Only saw us play them once in THAT game, but I've got time for them.

Lived there a year in the early 70's in a council high rise. Very nice. Great views of Southowram. Watched the Shaymen several times plus the RLFC lot.

I seem to recall the aforementioned David Quirke scoring in a one all draw there (we conceded late -ha!). Home of Toffolux and Websters Pennine Bitter (drive out that Northern thirst). Great place, though not as good as Bradford.

Steve Bruce. Must've smashed his nose with us umpteen times before he did it in the leagues above.
Good call. I remember a match vs Swindon where he seemed to injured just before half time and was in a bit of a mess.
He reappeared for the second half with, what was revealed later, to be a broken foot and a broken nose. He and Walker would be my fantasy centre half partnership. Neither blessed with real skill or pace but you'd be a brave man to mess with them.

Fi
Good call. I remember a match vs Swindon where he seemed to injured just before half time and was in a bit of a mess.
He reappeared for the second half with, what was revealed later, to be a broken foot and a broken nose. He and Walker would be my fantasy centre half partnership. Neither blessed with real skill or pace but you'd be a brave man to mess with them.

Didn't he get walloped in one of his early games for us at Blackpool -again playing on.

I'm tempted to mention that Halifax Town fans have not had the best of reputations in recent seasons - ask Fylde fans. It's only a minority, but mud sticks. Halifax will do well to finish this season in the top half of the league. Harsh but true.......

Spent a fair bit of time up north and Halifax is one of my favourite places. Last time we were back in the old country we made a point of making a visit.
I wish Halifax nothing but good things.