Guns....n/g | Vital Football

Guns....n/g

• Thread starter Deleted member 13556
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13556

A Californian judge has ruled that a ban of AR-15 assault rifles is unlawful saying they are “popular in the home and in battle” He says the ban is against the second amendment rights to bear arms!
The first amendment means we can say that America is full of silly *****!

I was in America just after the Vegas shooting. Met a guy who genuinely believed the problem was caused by having too strict gun controls.

It's fair to say we both wanted to change the topic quickly as he couldn't believe a life without guns just as much as I couldn't believe his thought process.

Didn't texas just change the law to say you don't need a licence for hand guns ?

I can't see that ending well

I’ve been to the States a few times, particularly the southern states, and while not trying to be too judgmental, many of those people are a bit ‘special’
There hasn’t been a single President who has seriously attempted to change the gun laws.
Maybe it’s just impossible.
Maybe the majority just prefer it as it is.
It’s beyond my comprehension but to be fair, who are we to say what should go on in another country.

I read an article about Minneapolis with it saying that there has been 211 shootings this year so far, since the police withdrew from certain areas. It said that sometimes it takes over 30 minutes to get a police response. Defund the police has not been necessary. It appears that they have made that decision themselves.

Last edited:
All goes back to the cowboy culture in their history I reckon. Kill or be killed. If you didn’t have a gun, then you wouldn’t be able to defend yourself!

When I visit our head office there is a sign at reception "the receptionist will not check (look after) your gun". Leave it in the vehicle. Bizarre

For those who havebt seen it this is the best and funniest argument against owning guns... Jim Jefferies to an American audience. Part two is below the first video.

The Governor of West Virginia is offering rifles and shotguns as prizes in the lottery to encourage people to have the Covid vaccine. Really
It’s true
I’m not making it up
It’s unbelievable
But true

They were with Europe on the liberty bit, but peeled off with the turn in all your guns to the state bit. They are nuts, but remember, most Americans want more gun controls, most legal gun owners keep their weapons in locked boxes and have never fired them, and, once again, the political system cannot deliver.

Is there any invention more dehumanising than the gun?

Probably. But the gun is definitely up there as one of the most. Unlike weapons from previous eras it doesn't take too much skill to effectively use one. And far more likely to be lethal.

I've always loved the lines in Dylan's, 'Joey':

It was true that in his later years he would never carry a gun
"I'm around too many children", he'd say,
"They should never know of one"

Two simple points.

1. the constitution was written in the aftermath of a revolt as they saw it against a foreign or dictatorial government. The amendment was put in place to make sure that the people would always to be able to raise a peoples militia against an overbearing government.

2. the NRA (national rifle association) is a massive political contributor and pressure group to most Senators on both sides of the aisle. Unless political contributions and bribes are stopped then it aint gonna change.

Which human agency has been responsible for the most killing in human history? The one for which it is second nature for Europeans to give all their guns to -the state. It’s not a bad argument except for the fact that it’s not why most American gun owners own guns. Even people you would not expect to own them do on the same basis that states say they have armed forces. We’d like to get rid of them, but it’s a dangerous world.

I’ve lived here 35 years, and I still don’t get the gun thing.

"Unlike weapons from previous eras it doesn't take too much skill to effectively use one. "

You'd think so wouldn't you but I've seen many a person fail a classification shoot when applying for firearms jobs, to use them accurately actually takes some skill and practice (VG will hopefully agree with me here) and you'd be amazed how many criminal shootings in London end with no injuries whatsoever.
The difference in the states is that there are plenty of ranges where the public can get plenty of instruction and practice.
What does make me laugh is that people still quote the second amendment (written when the musket and flintlock pistol were the weapons of choice) as an excuse to own automatic assault rifles that that fire large calibre, high velocity rounds at a rate of 10 per second. The most obvious criticism should be that these amendments haven't been updated and modernised as frequently as weapons have.

Quite right Nobby , I think many people have an impression that using a fireman is easy.
Maybe Hollywood is to blame ?
Pistols are pretty inaccurate, and really are for self defence. Firing a rifle and hitting a target at 300 metres is not something most people could manage without extensive practise and training.
It's also a case of recognising when the weapon has a stoppage, and knowing how to fix it.
I'm pretty sure you could strip and reassemble a weapon in the dark. I'm also confident that you will know the four principals of marksmanship.

Quite right Nobby , I think many people have an impression that using a fireman is easy.
Maybe Hollywood is to blame ?
Pistols are pretty inaccurate, and really are for self defence. Firing a rifle and hitting a target at 300 metres is not something most people could manage without extensive practise and training.
It's also a case of recognising when the weapon has a stoppage, and knowing how to fix it.
I'm pretty sure you could strip and reassemble a weapon in the dark. I'm also confident that you will know the four principals of marksmanship.
Absolutely, drummed into me for over 15 years now. Funnily enough, although more difficult and less accurate, I've always enjoyed pistol shooting much more than the rifle. Much more challenging but so rewarding when you get it right.
I think you're right about film and TV, makes it look easy and from anecdotal evidence, gang types use pistols in the same way as seen on tv and the results are very poor. Our instructors would have a fit if we shot like that 😁

Absolutely, drummed into me for over 15 years now. Funnily enough, although more difficult and less accurate, I've always enjoyed pistol shooting much more than the rifle. Much more challenging but so rewarding when you get it right.
I think you're right about film and TV, makes it look easy and from anecdotal evidence, gang types use pistols in the same way as seen on tv and the results are very poor. Our instructors would have a fit if we shot like that 😁

We have hunting families around Duluth. Kids brought up in very strict codes about the use of firearms. Can’t stand the casuals. Give gun ownership a bad name.