Guitarists' Thread... | Page 4 | Vital Football

Guitarists' Thread...

It's funny you mention it because I never keep track of when I change strings and don't practice often enough these days to be bothered (though I'm always mentally trying to kick myself to practice more). Acoustic strings definitely need changing at the moment, but I've half a mind to try heavier strings, don't know why. Usually just get 10/11s, but thinking about 13s. Any opinions on that?

And to answer your actual question, I used to get Country Gold for acoustic, but did they stop making them? For electric I don't have any preference, any will do (might have been Ernie Ball recently?)

I think I put 13s on this jumbo acoustic I have. For acoustic I tend to use Martin strings. I also tend to use d’addirio but when I went yesterday the shop only roto sound. I have never tried those yet. I think I will have a look this afternoon.

And a very expensive Middle Eastern rug to stand on!

You know, as much time as I spend thinking about music - about 80%, since you ask, then 10% LCFC and 10% other stuff - it only occurred to me recently that those rugs might be used to cover up leads. I just thought it was an affectation for bands who wanted a bit of a Grateful Dead vibe.

You know, as much time as I spend thinking about music - about 80%, since you ask, then 10% LCFC and 10% other stuff - it only occurred to me recently that those rugs might be used to cover up leads. I just thought it was an affectation for bands who wanted a bit of a Grateful Dead vibe.

Look at YouTube it’s full of people playing guitar sat rugs!

Finally re-strung the acoustic with 13s. Turned out I had 12s on anyway, so not much difference in terms of playability. Sounds great again. Really should try re-stringing a bit more often than once every 18 months!

(It's been so long, I also replaced the dead pick-up battery. That was so dead that one of the battery ports actually came away from the battery and I had to prize it off the pick-up connection)

Finally re-strung the acoustic with 13s. Turned out I had 12s on anyway, so not much difference in terms of playability. Sounds great again. Really should try re-stringing a bit more often than once every 18 months!

(It's been so long, I also replaced the dead pick-up battery. That was so dead that one of the battery ports actually came away from the battery and I had to prize it off the pick-up connection)

I am the same, I think my tele strings are years old, i thought I restrung them 5 years ago but I found the strings in the draw - never got round to it!

So GoBC are you at Northern Kin?

Was that the thing at Ushaw Moor, Notty? (Saw your post elsewhere about being in a field near Durham and wondered if that's where you were)

I was at the match yesterday, but when I got out of car, just after 1030 last night, there was a racket in the back street and presumed someone in the village was having a loud party. Went inside and wife & daughter reckoned it was a festival at Ushaw Moor. I was a bit disbelieving as although that's not a million miles away, the sound I'd heard sounded a lot closer.

Knew nothing about it, I'm ashamed to say. Tell me more.

Was that the thing at Ushaw Moor, Notty? (Saw your post elsewhere about being in a field near Durham and wondered if that's where you were)

I was at the match yesterday, but when I got out of car, just after 1030 last night, there was a racket in the back street and presumed someone in the village was having a loud party. Went inside and wife & daughter reckoned it was a festival at Ushaw Moor. I was a bit disbelieving as although that's not a million miles away, the sound I'd heard sounded a lot closer.

Knew nothing about it, I'm ashamed to say. Tell me more.

I'm not sure if it was Ushaw Moor, tbh, but a DH7 post-code about 15 mins the other side of Durham from Sunderland just off the A690.

3 day festival. A few acts/artists you'll probably know: Geordie (not with Brian Johnson on vocals, obviously!), Lindisfarne, Martin Barre (Tull guitarist - did "Aqualung" from start to finish!), Band of Friends (with 2 of Gallagher's back-line), Nazareth, Big Country. Plus others.

We didn't see all of those but it was good fun, a small festival (suits me) and at £50 per head for 3 days, good value, I thought.

Regular thing but has just moved to this site. Worth a look...

That sounds alright, and to be honest, if I'd known about it, with it being so close, I might well have gone. Don't know how it passed me by!

DH7 about 15 minutes the other side of Durham (from where I presume you'd be coming from), could be a description of where I live, so must have been pretty close. Was still bloody loud though!

Just looked at website. Wilko Johnson & Alabama 3 as well.

Will have to keep an eye out in 2022.

It's couple of hills away from me. I could cycle there (in fact, my current cycle route takes me within a few hundred yards of the site).

That sounds alright, and to be honest, if I'd known about it, with it being so close, I might well have gone. Don't know how it passed me by!

DH7 about 15 minutes the other side of Durham (from where I presume you'd be coming from), could be a description of where I live, so must have been pretty close. Was still bloody loud though!

It's all part of my stalking activities, GoBC. I'm getting closer... ;)

Well, I'll buy you pint if you go. I probably owe you one for what I've said on here.

Actually, I probably owe everyone a pint for what I've said on here. 🤣