Grimsby Town (a): Who Would Be In Your Starting XI? | Vital Football

Grimsby Town (a): Who Would Be In Your Starting XI?

Dc has said that we always need bostwick in his team, but we have just managed fine without him. Last season we needed better competition for vickers, Tuesday was the first sign that we have that. Eardley was also missed when he didn’t play last season, and it looked like we were lacking back up there, but maybe Harry A and the back 3 will solve that issue too... the squad has come through a few big tests. Confidence must be high.
Grimsby appear to lack width, and lack pace in the full back positions - Davis is a centre back playing right back - so we may set up to attack them down the flanks. But we also have options to attack them with long ball/short passing/shooting from distance/McCartan carrying the ball through... interesting times, uti

I think whoever DC and NC pick we can have genuine faith and belief in any of the squad. There doesn't appear to be a weak link at the moment. Some people last season doubted Tom Pett but I think he is showing the class and ability he has which I said he would.

Have we ever had a squad at City where you can genuinely believe everyone can make a good and affective contribution I can't. We always seemed to be carrying at least two or three squad players as people call them. I think this season they can all be counted as genuine first teamers. A truly small but high quality squad for League 2 I believe.

Crookes and Luque are the only two left to prove themselves.

And If the plan is to add two more quality loanees the options get even greater

Interesting when you look at the starting 11 at the match last season and how many of those will actually start this season on 30th September we had :-

Vickers
Eardley
Dickie
Raggett
Habergham
Arnold
Woodyard
Bostwick
Anderson
Palmer
Green.

If you look at that team 5 are no longer at the club and 1 is injured so at most there will be only 5 survivors of the corresponding fixture less than a year ago.

Dc has said that we always need bostwick in his team, but we have just managed fine without him. Last season we needed better competition for vickers, Tuesday was the first sign that we have that. Eardley was also missed when he didn’t play last season, and it looked like we were lacking back up there, but maybe Harry A and the back 3 will solve that issue too... the squad has come through a few big tests. Confidence must be high.
Grimsby appear to lack width, and lack pace in the full back positions - Davis is a centre back playing right back - so we may set up to attack them down the flanks. But we also have options to attack them with long ball/short passing/shooting from distance/McCartan carrying the ball through... interesting times, uti

This is one seriously strong squad!

Most of the players can be rested with other squad members of equal ability stepping in.

Tom Pett has been superb. Michael O'Connor and Lee Frecklington are getting fitter by the game. With Ellis Chapman improving fast City are very strong in midfield and I agree that Michael Bostwick can have a rest when required. He has historically played through injuries in the recent past. If the squad is looked after then everyone is fresher/keener with the nett effect that the players are on their toes and our opponents' will struggle to contain City. All good in theory!

No one can easily state what the "best side" is any more.

I am also really looking forward to Joan Luque being given an opportunity to impress.

UTI!

Vickers eardley toffolo wison shackell o conn freck mccarton harry andrade akinde ,,, strong bench bostwick green rhead wharton chapman pett smith

There's just so many combinations now, keeps us and the opposition guessing what we will start with from game to game.
I think DC's biggest problem is keeping everyone on board with the "squad" mentality. In the last two games his "finishers" have come on and made a real difference.

Vickers eardley toffolo wison shackell o conn freck mccarton harry andrade akinde ,,, strong bench bostwick green rhead wharton chapman pett smith

dont think Wharton will or should left out. I think we may play 4 4 2 to utilise Anderson and Andrade so probably similar team to Swindon game.

Bostwick has to start for me, it’s a derby and we he need his warrior like prescence, ideally in midfield. I’d probably go 4411 with Vickers, Toffolo, Wharton, Shackell, Eardley, Andrade, Freck, Bostwick, Anderson, McCartan, Akinde.

Absolute madness that I’ve not put Green or O’Connor in who I really rate, plus Pett who did so well against Vale. Incredible strength in depth!

Pett in for McCartan in the only change from Saturday's game I would say. Crazy to leave Shackell on the bench but could be a very important sub to make around the 60th minute!

Dc also said alex woodyard was DNA of our club two weeks later he sold him so dont think bostwick place guaranteed to the point some folk on here think

As it's an away derby and you'd think Grimsby would try and start aggressively I'd start with the most experienced side possible and a slightly more cautious 4-1-4-1
Vickers: Eardley, Wharton, Shackell, Toffolo; Bostwick; Anderson, Frecklington, O'Connor, Andrade; Akinde

That gives a great many attacking options from the bench. Probably too many :)

As it's an away derby and you'd think Grimsby would try and start aggressively I'd start with the most experienced side possible and a slightly more cautious 4-1-4-1
Vickers: Eardley, Wharton, Shackell, Toffolo; Bostwick; Anderson, Frecklington, O'Connor, Andrade; Akinde

That gives a great many attacking options from the bench. Probably too many :)

Forgive me for pouncing on what could be tantamount to an oxymoronic post, but if you are selecting your ‘most experienced side possible’ then why have you left out Wilson, Rhead and Green and put in Wharton, Anderson and Andrade?

Forgive me for pouncing on what could be tantamount to an oxymoronic post, but if you are selecting your ‘most experienced side possible’ then why have you left out Wilson, Rhead and Green and put in Wharton, Anderson and Andrade?

"the most experienced side possible" doesn't mean the oldest 11 available.

Otherwise Rhead would probably have to go in goal - ahead of Smith, who's older than Vickers.

They've got one of the oldest backlines in the league and we've got genuine pace.

Would like to see the 4-2-3-1 again rather than 5 at the back.

Vickers; Eardley, Shackell, Wharton, Toffolo; Freck, Bostwick; Anderson, McCarten, Andrade; Akinde.

That was the hardest post I've ever put in a starting XI thread.

Well if he plays two left footed centre halfs ill be astounded , dc made hell of a fuss about trying to find balance ie left foot / right foot it just wont happen , shackell plays so anyone from two wilson/bostwick take your pick , scott going to be left out i think undeserved but hey who’d be dc at moment so many tricky decisions

I think we have thirteen players who are virtually automatic starters now, and that presents an obvious problem:

Vickers
Eardley
Toffolo
Wharton
Shackell
Akinde
Pett
Andrade
Anderson
McCartan
Bostwick
O'Connor
Green

Add Wilson if we are playing three at the back.