Grimsby top of one league | Page 2 | Vital Football

Grimsby top of one league

Why are you putting this in a football forum? It is :off: OFF TOPIC, and we don't need the clicks of those who will now start some sort of political debate about the underlying causes. If you feel strongly about this issue or alternatively are trying to take the p****, contribute to other forms of media including local television, radio etc who will be covering it in depth!

To be fair I imagine the OP was just trying to have some fun at the expense of Grimsby, it's others who turned it in that direction.

It might be better if those who like to pontificate about their political opinions and misreadings of history retreated to the Off Topic section and left the rest of us to squabble happily about the merits of team selection and games long since forgotten.

To be fair I imagine the OP was just trying to have some fun at the expense of Grimsby, it's others who turned it in that direction.

It might be better if those who like to pontificate about their political opinions and misreadings of history retreated to the Off Topic section and left the rest of us to squabble happily about the merits of team selection and games long since forgotten.

Are you referring to my post as well BB? There is nothing fair or fun about social deprivation. It also has nothing to do with football ,hence my response

Are you referring to my post as well BB? There is nothing fair or fun about social deprivation. It also has nothing to do with football ,hence my response

No, not yours specifically. But it didn't take long for others to start attributing blame.

And while I agree with you that it's not actual fun, it was a joke, and jokes can be cruel.

I've long since given up "discussing" politics on forums, at best it's divisive between people with a common, shared interest. It's better that those who want to play that way go and do it somewhere quiet.

Actually, I'll have a bit of a rant about clubs who think (or whose fans think) they're actually political. Top of that list is Barcelona with their whole independencia schtick. Time was when that may have had some meaning, but absolutely not now for the giant commercial institution it is today.

And in England, Liverpool fans with their insistence that the club itself has politics that are somehow as red as their shirts, just because of something Shankly once said. Makes me vurp when I think about it.

Why are you putting this in a football forum? It is :off: OFF TOPIC, and we don't need the clicks of those who will now start some sort of political debate about the underlying causes. If you feel strongly about this issue or alternatively are trying to take the p****, contribute to other forms of media including local television, radio etc who will be covering it in depth!
Same as the Birthday threads!

And in England, Liverpool fans with their insistence that the club itself has politics that are somehow as red as their shirts, just because of something Shankly once said. Makes me vurp when I think about it.

And it might be better for people who are so precious that they can’t bear to read about anything other than what they deem to be ‘acceptable’ on a message board to either chill the fuck out or go elsewhere.

I don'r mind a bit of politics - we seem to avoid any kind of sensible political debate at all costs in this country, from the squabbling in parliament downwards.

Equally, pretty much everything can be seen as political on some level. The vast sums of money available in the Premiership are linked directly to our economic system and unregulated market economics, for example.

But it is largely off-topic.

Oh come now, Michael. You're not above a bit of waspish deviseness yourself, on occasion.

You're quite right, Notty, and I'm under no illusions about what many posters must think about me.

There's nothing wrong with those debates but what MaineRoad_96 forgets is that this site already has a section for those, and it's not here. The original post was not a political one, it went off topic quickly.

So I'm not saying what's "acceptable" or not, but there are forum rules. I am, however, extremely precious. He got that right.

Edit: Who is this "Michael"?

You're quite right, Notty, and I'm under no illusions about what many posters must think about me.

There's nothing wrong with those debates but what MaineRoad_96 forgets is that this site already has a section for those, and it's not here. The original post was not a political one, it went off topic quickly.

So I'm not saying what's "acceptable" or not, but there are forum rules. I am, however, extremely precious. He got that right.

Has it really taken you this long to notice my use of Michael? :lol:

Fascinating...

The original post has nothing to do with Football .Social deprivation has every thing to do with politics, subsequently the politics followed the post.
I don't think you quite get it

The original post has nothing to do with Football .Social deprivation has every thing to do with politics, subsequently the politics followed the post.
I don't think you quite get it

The original post was a joke about Grimsby topping a League (it's right there in the thread title).

If we're talking about whether people are getting it.

Football does not exist on its own but is embedded in local society.
Social deprivation or economic success is therefore relevant to the fortunes or otherwise of clubs and football in general.

And yes we all love to make fun of Grimsby and it's especially easy to do so atm, but equally I don't think anyone would not be unsympathetic or concerned at the the poor economic conditions of a lot of Grimsby, and Blundell Park itself typifies the situation there & is clearly in a dreadful condition with a new stadium urgently needed.