Grimsby Pitch Invasion | Vital Football

Grimsby Pitch Invasion

57harry

Vital 1st Team Regular
Can anyone remember the game when Grimsby invaded the pitch at half time and made a charge toward the Railway End.No one got in there as far as I can remember.I think this happened in a League Cup tie back in August 1970. A few weeks later we played them in a Div.4 game and the Police lined up on the half way line during the interval to prevent a repeat occurence !

I don't remember that one but I can remember when we played Brighton in the last season at The Goldstone Ground if memory serves me right we won 3-1 and every time we scored the Brighton fans invaded the pitch and sat in the centre circle in protest at club leaving the ground. The match seemed to go on on forever and I seriously did wonder if it would actually get finished or not.

The half time 'entertainment' has changed a bit over the years, from gallops down the pitch to have a go at the opposition 'supporters', to schools five a side ! Think I know which I prefer ! Remember GT once commenting why it was always the Lincoln fans who got arrested,and he said it was because they could not run fast enough !! UTI.

County Cup 75 a few days after our failed promotion bid. There were clashes in the six yard box.

iirc that was the day after Southport. Can't remember any cultural exchanges, just the sombre atmosphere lifted by GT's greatest ever pre-match chat over the PA (even Danny, the most in-touch manager since, has never tried that) and Percy coming on as sub and within a couple of minutes taking out his frustrations on the ball, nearly busting through the net for the second in a 2-0 win. Only County cup game I've ever been to.

I was at that 1970 league game too, but can't remember the 'thin blue line' either. Part of the background, or blanked out by those of us who never partook of such nonsense?

I can't have been at the game Harry mentioned, though I have a hazy recollection (in a Christine Blasey Ford sort of way) of something similar in the 1st Round of the FA Cup at Boston United in 1975. Anyone?

Yes I do. It’s was like wyatt Earp and bros and of course doc holiday. Leaving the home end in a line and walking straight across the pitch to us Lincoln fans in the away terrace.
I blame Tory cutbacks for the lack of police on said pitch.

I can't have been at the game Harry mentioned, though I have a hazy recollection (in a Christine Blasey Ford sort of way) of something similar in the 1st Round of the FA Cup at Boston United in 1975. Anyone?

I remember that game, we walked to get on the 'football special' train, just as it was pulling into the station it was bricked from the street, the driver took one in the face poor chap. Seem to remember we won the game late on.

Can't remember the trouble but City won 1-0. I remember a Grotier up and under early in the 2nd half, Big Percy and their GK challenged for the loose, bouncing ball. It obviously finished in the back of the net.

Yes I do. It’s was like wyatt Earp and bros and of course doc holiday. Leaving the home end in a line and walking straight across the pitch to us Lincoln fans in the away terrace.
I blame Tory cutbacks for the lack of police on said pitch.

Well I'm glad I wasn't imagining it. I also think the starting point was a lone Boston supporter wiping his feet on a City flag in the centre circle.

Oh, and it was 1975 so politically.......

I remember it. Several Boston fans invaded the pitch as did one City fan.The City lad confronted the Boston lads but had to run back to the away end where all the other City fans were present.

I thought for a minute this had happened at the end of their famous 1-1 victory against us earlier in the season, or perhaps the thrashing they dealt out on Tuesday (what do we call it when they win, by the way, now that a draw is a win for them?!?)

What about ............Agadoo, doo, doo, doo, Smack a member of Hulls Crew ,crew ,crew .[/QUOTE
Wasn't that a late Murphy era early or pre season game? Something along the lines of getting everyone on the pitch for an attempt at the most people doing Agadoo. As soon as the music started everyone started scrapping on the pitch and Cwish trying to calm it down over the tannoy. :party: