Great Result | Vital Football

Great Result

Alfalf2

Vital Reserves Team
Fantastic result against a good Yeovil side. The first time this season we have conceded the first goal and not lost. Seems as though Dave is building some resilience into this Pools team. If we can just get the away performances up to speed we might have a decent play off chance.

Yes Wrexham will be stern test. They got hammered by Aldershot today so will be determined to bounce back. If we give them a goal start I don't think there will be any way back. We will need to be at our best. A draw would be a great result

I do wonder if part of the reason for the improvement in home form this season is as a consequence of the absence of fans. I do enjoy my visits to the Vic, and look forward to them recommencing, but the atmosphere can be hostile and intimidating!

I know what you mean. The fans can get on to the players when things are going badly though on the other side of the coin, the love and adoration the players get when Pools are doing well is unsurpassed because the good times are so rare. Success is not taken for granted by Poolies and deeply appreciated when it happens. I'll never forget the feeling I had together with 9000 other Poolies while watching a 3-1 win over Northampton that meant we were promoted. I was on the mill house terrace and can think of few events I have experienced that were better.

Strangely I was also on the Mill House terrace on the day you mention, and can still see in my mind's eye Paul Baker taking responsibility to smash in one of the goals that day.
At the time it was an almost unbelievable turn of Pool's fortunes after decades of aspiring to mediocrity.

Fans can influence events in different ways so it's difficult to judge. I think the main reason for our relative success at present is the inclusion of a player who is very likely to score like Mr Baker or Mr Boyd or, now, Mr Armstrong. Knowing the opposition are likely to score puts the wind up teams. In the recent past they have always known that Pools probably wouldn't.

Having a potent goal scorer is a huge plus factor but I am not sure if it explains the turn around in home form together with a deterioration in away form. I wonder if it is to do with tactics? I don't claim to be an expert in these matters but are Pools playing differently away currently than they did when they got all those results before Christmas?

Strangely I was also on the Mill House terrace on the day you mention, and can still see in my mind's eye Paul Baker taking responsibility to smash in one of the goals that day.
At the time it was an almost unbelievable turn of Pool's fortunes after decades of aspiring to mediocrity.
Absolutely, a day that lives on in the memory. As you say, all the sweeter because Pools had so little success for many years prior.