Great news | Page 2 | Vital Football

Great news

Mark. I flew from Southend a couple of years ago for a golfing holiday, a lovely little airport.
Also Manston is not going to be a passenger operation, it is for the freight business . I gather the hope is for increased freight from countries outside the EU such as the USA Brazil Australia etc. At best passengers will be an add on, the terminal catering for a million passengers a year is optimistic to say the least.

The owners have stated they intend to offer passenger services but you are correct it will primarily be for freight.

Interesting to see if short haul passenger travel demand recovers post covid. I read that Boeing and the FAA were working on the renewed type certificate for the MAX. Big news for airlines and passengers if so.

More Great News from the BBC Website today:

A £705m funding package to help manage Britain's borders has been announced as the UK prepares to leave the EU customs union at the end of the year.
Plans include new border control posts and 500 extra Border Force staff. Should be good for Kent.

Sorry if it's on the wrong thread. :cry:

Last edited:
Couldn't we have done that anyway ?

There was nothing stopping us having an effective border patrol while in the EU.

Government cuts was the only reason we didn't

Agreed good news for people searching for jobs in the ports area.

No we couldn’t mark although the anti democrats would like to argue otherwise.
This is about goods coming in, which is the way that every country outside the EU operates.
People have always been very loosely checked at our borders. That will remain.

More Great News from the BBC Website today:

A £705m funding package to help manage Britain's borders has been announced as the UK prepares to leave the EU customs union at the end of the year.
Plans include new border control posts and 500 extra Border Force staff. Should be good for Kent.

Sorry if it's on the wrong thread. :cry:
Sorry to be a pain but do you have a link to that? I'm looking at UKBF part time when I leave the OB next year. Southend's expansion looks like being delayed because of covid19 so I may have to look at other sites.
Sorry, not a job hunt thread but I'd be grateful 👍👍
Edit. Cancel that, it literally just popped up on the sky news notification. Cheers

Last edited:
Interesting comment on the front page of the Telegraph this morning. Apparently the government have purchased 27 acres of land 20 miles from Dover in order to build a lorry processing/holding site. Now I assume this will be on the M20 seeing it is the main route to the docks. I know there are some posters from here living in or around Ashford area, anyone heard anymore on this? Must admit, it’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Interesting comment on the front page of the Telegraph this morning. Apparently the government have purchased 27 acres of land 20 miles from Dover in order to build a lorry processing/holding site. Now I assume this will be on the M20 seeing it is the main route to the docks. I know there are some posters from here living in or around Ashford area, anyone heard anymore on this? Must admit, it’s the first I’ve heard of it.
My friend tells me it is by junction 10a at Sevington Ashford.

That's going to be good for local traffic. All that new housing and the Outlet Centre if it gets back on its feet.
Very good indeed.
Ashford is a boom town.
It will eventually become the biggest town in Kent.
Easy and quick commute and a drive from the coast.
Not for me at my age but if I was 25, I’d be heading to Ashford.

Very good indeed.
Ashford is a boom town.
It will eventually become the biggest town in Kent.
Easy and quick commute and a drive from the coast.
Not for me at my age but if I was 25, I’d be heading to Ashford.

But they ain't got football !

Shotshy - even your Local MP (Damian Green) thinks its in the wrong place!
Not my local MP mate.
I don’t live in Ashford.
Where ever it is situated is the wrong place because some people just don’t like change.
The reason that Brexit won the referendum was because the majority of people wanted change.
So, change is what we all get.
For better or worse will be judged by time.

I expect a few die hard euro federalists will still be banging on for a generation but most people will just move on.

I think I will always think it will be a massive mistake, still only time will tell:cry: Hope I am proved wrong, especially for the young.

I think I will always think it will be a massive mistake, still only time will tell:cry: Hope I am proved wrong, especially for the young.
Yep, time will tell.
My opinion is that we will do well outside of the Eu but nobody really knows.
As you may have guessed, my opinion of the institution of the Eu is pretty low.
I’ve never been comfortable with the way it operates where you have the tail wagging the dog.
How can Luxembourg or Malta be equal to Germany ffs?
Had it been a trade bloc which we believed we was joining, I’d have no problem.
The political side doesn’t sit with me.
I seriously think they should be secretly pleased we have left.