Great news | Vital Football

Great news

Manston gets approval to reopen as an airport.
Let’s hope it lasts this time.
As a freight operator, with lower charges and quicker turn round time,
it should be able to compete with other airports in the south of England. Living 10 minutes drive away a return of charter flights would go down nicely.

Last edited:
Have a soft spot for Manston, yes it is good news and while they are about it a little investment by adding less than a mile of rail track from the High speed line, St.Pancras, Asford, Canterbury, Ramsgate from just east of ,Minster station to enable incoming passengers particularly in the evening an hours run into London something that was badly missing last time operations were carried out there.

I can see it working as a cargo hub but no chance as a passenger service. Its just too far away from the M25. Southend, Stansted, Luton and gatwick a far better option for the vast majority of customers.

Wish it well though. Would love to fly from there one day.

https://rsp.co.uk/reopening-manston/

"A revived Manston Airport will provide air freight operators with a realistic alternative to the overcrowded London airports, ease the considerable road congestion caused by lorries carrying freight through the channel tunnel to European airports, improve resilience and boost economic growth and jobs in Kent. Our plans seek also to attract passenger services and business aviation too, providing the people of Kent with an international airport once more....."

The only way I can see Manston working as a passenger hub is if easyjet or ryanair open a hub there and fly to popular destinations like the costas in the summer and ski resorts in the winter. Otherwise is see it going the same way as the others who have tried and failed to run passenger services. I live in Rochester and I reckon I could get to Gatwick and Southend quicker than Manston

Good news for Kent, bags of potential down at Manston. If passenger services return that would be superb. I remember going to Glasgow on a passenger flight from Manston a few years back, it was so very convenient, free parking and no crowds at check-in etc. Good luck Manston.

[
The only way I can see Manston working as a passenger hub is if easyjet or ryanair open a hub there and fly to popular destinations like the costas in the summer and ski resorts in the winter. Otherwise is see it going the same way as the others who have tried and failed to run passenger services. I live in Rochester and I reckon I could get to Gatwick and Southend quicker than Manston

I live 10 minutes from Manston it takes me 45 minutes to Priestfield. Getting to Gatwick in an hour must be touch and go from Rochester and even longer to Southend. Manston has good road connection, dual carriage all the M2 or M20. From Brenley Corner to Manston the traffic is very rarely heavy. That said I still think passenger flights will always be a minor part of operations there.

Last edited:
[

I live 10 minutes from Manston it takes me 45 minutes to Priestfield. Getting to Gatwick in an hour must be touch and go from Rochester and even longer to Southend. Manston has good road connection, dual carriage all the M2 or M20. From Brenley Corner to Manston the traffic is very rarely heavy. That said I still think passenger flights will always be a minor part of operations there.

45 mins sounds good but that does mean their catchment area is really Kent. If they were to get a popular low cost airline with popular destinations then people will travel further. I would fly from Luton if it was the best price.

The advantage Manston does have is no M25 so should be a traffic free journey. I have only flown from sarfend once but loved the tiny airport experience.

I wish Manston well. Would love to be able to use it.

Lovedmy one and only experience of Manston, about 15 years ago.

Parked just outside. Walked in. Had a lovely cup of tea in a proper mug. Walked on to the plane.

I do remember the plane taxied for so long the pilot promised that we wouldn't actually be driving to our destination (Amsterdam -great place).

The new lower Thames crossing could have implications for Manston, whether that is good or bad implications who knows.

Parked just outside. Walked in. Had a lovely cup of tea in a proper mug. Walked on to the plane.

I do remember the plane taxied for so long the pilot promised that we wouldn't actually be driving to our destination (Amsterdam -great place).

Similar to when I flew from Exeter in January.
Totally lovely experience.
Our flight was the only plane in at the time.

45 mins sounds good but that does mean their catchment area is really Kent. If they were to get a popular low cost airline with popular destinations then people will travel further. I would fly from Luton if it was the best price.

The advantage Manston does have is no M25 so should be a traffic free journey. I have only flown from sarfend once but loved the tiny airport experience.

I wish Manston well. Would love to be able to use it.

I get your point but Luton? Parking and absolute nightmare, road journey the same, train journey takes forever.

I get your point but Luton? Parking and absolute nightmare, road journey the same, train journey takes forever.

Luton. Total khazi.

I can understand why people are attracted to having an airport locally rather than having to schlepp to one of the "london" airports. City airport is a 20 minute cab from my house and it's a breeze to use.

I'm happy to pay for more expensive air fares to use it because it is so convenient.

Hope Manston is a success and that it creates some decent jobs for local people.

I used manston twice, Amsterdam and Dublin. I agree it was a pleasant almost surreal experience compared to the bustling, metropolis feel of Gatwick or Heathrow.
However I have said many times before on this subject, 3/4 of manstons catchment area is in the sea. I can’t help but feel if it was situated in, say, Ashford it would have a much greater chance of succeeding.

What's so good about getting another F***** airport?
Again, this is a relevant question. We’ve heard BA, easyJet, Virgin, and probably others to follow all making redundancies. With fewer aircraft flying to holiday destinations for the foreseeable future then surely there are slots available at the original airports? Is another new one really needed?

I agree 100% but if the price is a couple of hundred quid cheaper (kids still come) then I will stomach it.

I love small airports. Southend my favourite in the UK. We used to fly to Esbjerg a lot. The plane taxis to the front door of the terminal. You walk to terminal door, go through passport control, pick up your bag, walk out the terminal into the car park opposite and on your way. Never took longer than 20 mins from getting off the plane to being on the road. I've walked (double check the spelling) for longer at Heathrow to reach immigration.

Mark. I flew from Southend a couple of years ago for a golfing holiday, a lovely little airport.
Also Manston is not going to be a passenger operation, it is for the freight business . I gather the hope is for increased freight from countries outside the EU such as the USA Brazil Australia etc. At best passengers will be an add on, the terminal catering for a million passengers a year is optimistic to say the least.

If the air traffic is coming from USA, Brazil, Australia why have it on the east coast of this country, would a west coast airport not be more appropriate?