Great job Andy, great job | Vital Football

Great job Andy, great job

I wouldn’t necessarily rule out or be against him returning as manager or in some capacity - he is still a young man in manager terms, but not next season or any time soon. However, he could easily gain more experience with Dover or other teams and come back one day - he did a good job with the GO4 that time... but then so did SL and Patto!

How many more times do we want Hess as manager? Great player for us, Legend. However, in League 2 he failed to get Gills even a play off spot two seasons running. It took Martin Allen and Mark Stimson of all people just one season to bounce back, Allen as Champions.

But in one of those League 2 seasons we were top of the goal scoring charts and very near the top in the other one.

We also had a much better home record than the past two seasons and I do not remember people moaning about the entertainment value then.

If he could just find a coach to build a system that incorporates a more organised defence, I would not mind having him back.

He kept us in the Championship for nearly four seasons.

How many more times do we want Hess as manager? Great player for us, Legend. However, in League 2 he failed to get Gills even a play off spot two seasons running. It took Martin Allen and Mark Stimson of all people just one season to bounce back, Allen as Champions.
I tend to agree but he could be much wiser this time around. When SL took over, we started well especially away from home and wins at Peterborough, Rotherham, Scunthorpe and Fleetwood etc were testament to that and he more or less had the same bunch of players. That said, our home form rarely hit the heights. This season, the away form continues to be strong but, at home, it's dire.

With those away results, I thought SL was the man but, now, I'm beginning to think if he had top players on his roster things wouldn't be very different.

If SL goes, he'll be replaced by someone who has been around a bit or a manager from the National League; so, I guess Hess can't be ruled out.

He kept us in the Championship for nearly four seasons.
Yes, something of a miracle, although the key was probably being able to hang on to good players. Eventually, those players left and replacements were never the same calibre and we went on a downward slide.

Hess had the team playing exciting football that was good to watch, Stimson did get us up, and straight back down again, Martin took us up and then lost his way on and off the field.

I wouldn’t particularly want Hess back but I’d take him in a caretaker capacity if we ever needed someone. I’d also take Hess over PT any day of the week - and I’d take him over Evans, too. If Lovell does move on at the end of the season (he definitely will if we manage to get relegated) then I’d hope it’s none of the above.

Well done to Hess, great win at Barrow yesterday. No doubt about it, he`s saved Dover from relegation and re-modelled them into a difficult side to beat. I would not vote for a Hess return to Priestfield as manager, but, I would like to see more Hess style grit in our current squad.

F#cking hell. Not Hess again (and I think he's a legend obviously).

People will be clamouring for Taylor again at this rate ( and I don't mean SBT).

Aaaaaagh!

Move on ffs.

Peter's the man. He'll squeeze out two home points. Not pretty, I grant you. Not entertaining. Not even particularly effective in the medium to long term -but sufficient unto the day (in terms of both getting the job done and the evils thereof).

Fair enough we did win a cracker 5-4 to Hereford mind you.

People have short memories. I thought the club motto was never look back? Christ we've looked back so much I've got neck ache. Maybe Peter Taylor can give it another go too?

That Tuesday night Hereford game was mental. I feel truly privileged to have been one on the 4 thousandish there that night.

Totally agree on the other points. Short memories indeed. Give it to Hess for a year, then Taylor as caretaker for 6 months, then maybe Lovell can have another bash too ffs.

Someone completely new and unconnected with the club this time please.

There are three ex-Gills managers who have all done very good jobs in the National League this season. I don't especially want any of them back at Gills (and I'd much prefer SL getting proper financial backing) but I also don't understand why people like to moan about all three of them.

Funny old days.

Glenn Roeder still goes on about working miracles to keep us in the league by the skin of our teeth. He thinks the fans are ungrateful.

We were apparently considering Westley before appointing SL even though in his previous job he had Newport cut off at the bottom of League Two.

And yet missing out on the League Two play offs on goal difference means Hess should never be considered again, even in a GO4 type arrangement.

That is expectations for you.

There are three ex-Gills managers who have all done very good jobs in the National League this season. I don't especially want any of them back at Gills (and I'd much prefer SL getting proper financial backing) but I also don't understand why people like to moan about all three of them.
Fair wnough but in my case I'm not meaning to moan about them but just don't want them back. Ok, I admit, I am moaning about Taylor's excruciating spell last time.