Grant Smith | Vital Football

Grant Smith

mikeosullivan

Vital Squad Member
I think Grant Smith was in goal for Maidstone today in their FA Cup match.

Does that mean we intend to keep Slocombe for the season? I thought Smith would be back in January and Slocombe gone, but that would leave us with no bench keeper for round 3 (if we make it).

On recent displays, I would have much rather had Smith back than keep Slocombe.

I think Grant Smith was in goal for Maidstone today in their FA Cup match.

Does that mean we intend to keep Slocombe for the season? I thought Smith would be back in January and Slocombe gone, but that would leave us with no bench keeper for round 3 (if we make it).

On recent displays, I would have much rather had Smith back than keep Slocombe.

Think most would have Vickers, Smith and Slocombe in that order. I do n’t know the terms of the loan for Smith but my thinking would be to have Smith play as many matches as possible this season. He’s our player and will develop by playing regularly. Slocombe is n’t our player long term, so better for us to have him getting rusty on the bench than Smith. This assumes Vickers remains fit and in good form.

Should anything happen to Vickers I would hope we could recall Smith for all games and have him play in preference to Slocombe.

The FA cup is a red herring. They are matches we want Smith to get experience in, so let him play. Only if we get deep into the competition and Vickers can’t play do we have a problem. In that unlikely situation we could get an emergency loan to solve that problem. If Slocombe goes back in January just hire another bench warmer that’s not cup tied.

I actually think Slocombe is a good keeper, just a bit rusty and not our player long term.

I have suspected for the last couple of games that Vickers is playing with an injury: for me, he has not been the Josh Vickers we know and love. He is not as mobile as he normally is, has conceded a soft goal in two successive games, and appears uncertain about kicking the ball. That may be just my own misguided perception. Probably is. We'll see.

Slocombe is a good keeper? Evidence for that?

I have suspected for the last couple of games that Vickers is playing with an injury: for me, he has not been the Josh Vickers we know and love. He is not as mobile as he normally is, has conceded a soft goal in two successive games, and appears uncertain about kicking the ball. That may be just my own misguided perception. Probably is. We'll see.

46 games in promotion from L2 for Scunthorpe, 34 games Blackpool in promotion from L2 would suggest a good goal keeper at L2 level.

46 games in promotion from L2 for Scunthorpe, 34 games Blackpool in promotion from L2 would suggest a good goal keeper at L2 level.
I'm going by what he has done since he arrived here. And Bristol Rovers obviously don't rate him.

Hi Scotty
He made 2 good saves this afternoon that kept us in the FA Cup which we would have been out of if he hadn't saved them.
But we missed a lot of chances. but still won and that's what good teams seem to do.

Hi Scotty
He made 2 good saves this afternoon that kept us in the FA Cup which we would have been out of if he hadn't saved them.
But we missed a lot of chances. but still won and that's what good teams seem to do.
I agree entirely, he made some good saves (from the highlights I have seen so far). But he is paid to do that. And here's the thing: he is also paid to save the relatively simple ones.

I'm going by what he has done since he arrived here. And Bristol Rovers obviously don't rate him.
I’m going by some very good saves away at Scunthorpe as examples. Would have been out of site in that game without them. He’s played only trophy/cup games in front of makes shift weaken defences. Bristol Rovers a league one club must have rated him enough to acquire him and play him at the start of season.

What makes you think he is a bad goalkeeper for a league 2 club?

True Scotty, I haven't seen the goals yet so don't know if he had a good view of the first goal which came from outside the box, it looked to be through a crowd of players. I was at the game but you only get one look at the shot when your there. Although I think DC in the interview said he should have saved it.

I’m going by some very good saves away at Scunthorpe as examples. Would have been out of site in that game without them. He’s played only trophy/cup games in front of makes shift weaken defences. Bristol Rovers a league one club must have rated him enough to acquire him and play him at the start of season.

What makes you think he is a bad goalkeeper for a league 2 club?
9 goals conceded in 4 games and some very indecisive goalkeeping. The caveat is that I have only seen him on iFollow, which lends itself to being critical.

9 goals conceded in 4 games and some very indecisive goalkeeping. The caveat is that I have only seen him on iFollow, which lends itself to being critical.

None of us have seen him play for Lincoln in a run of matches against League 2 opposition with a settled defence in front of him. He’s played four matches weeks apart against a championship side, a league one side, a side with premier league hopefuls and Mansfield. His defence has always included Crookes and often Gordon. If he appeared decisive and conceded no goals in these circumstances I would be calling for Vickers removal, not just thinking he might be a good L2 keeper in normal circumstances. I’m sure he would say he could have done better at times but let’s be fair to him.

None of us have seen him play for Lincoln in a run of matches against League 2 opposition with a settled defence in front of him. He’s played four matches weeks apart against a championship side, a league one side, a side with premier league hopefuls and Mansfield. His defence has always included Crookes and often Gordon. If he appeared decisive and conceded no goals in these circumstances I would be calling for Vickers removal, not just thinking he might be a good L2 keeper in normal circumstances. I’m sure he would say he could have done better at times but let’s be fair to him.
There’s a good point in there. Slocombe has done little to prove himself but his ‘chances’ have been severely harmed by the defences in front of him

I have suspected for the last couple of games that Vickers is playing with an injury: for me, he has not been the Josh Vickers we know and love. He is not as mobile as he normally is, has conceded a soft goal in two successive games, and appears uncertain about kicking the ball.

Getting Shackell to take his goal kicks as he did quite a few times vs FGR would seem to support that.

I agree,we were discussing Vickers fitness in the Coop yesterday and concluded not 100% yet.