Grand Theft Auto 5 | Page 9 | Vital Football

Grand Theft Auto 5

James06 - 23/9/2013 16:48

yeah I do believe it 100%.

I speak to, or at least try to speak to youngsters all the time who mumble along, head down, generally not really giving a shit about anything. I know I sound like a miserable old bastard, and people have openly direct their passion about this towards me int he thread. But kids nowadays, be they shop assistants, waiters, potential employees or just kids ont he street - are generally speaking, terribly lacking in the social and etiquette skills of the generations that came before them.

I managed a football team for 2 years and was a senior player for many years before that. The late teen players had a shocking outlook generally. Their lives revolved around computer games and television, and these were the ones who played football at least twice a week! Most of them struggled for work, turning their nose up at the suggestion of picking up a telephone and making an effort or even getting themselves out there.

But this is just your opinion I am afraid, it's not backed up by anything other than your perception of the world around you.

ironside - 21/9/2013 03:50

Isn't the perceived problem with this game that it desensitises and adversely effects the minds of young players? Mature adults and those over the age of 18 recognise it for what it is, escapism and the opportunity to indulge in a completely alien world. Kids of primary age and younger teens, who will get access to it no matter what the rules say, might not be so discriminating.I wouldn't be happy for them to be immersed in it for hours.
I would think that people on here can play it and then leave it on the back burner and not be so obsessed that they can't be without it for a few hours. If it's what allows you to switch off for a while good luck to you. It ain't for me but then, I get caught up in a book for hours or zonk out with earphones on.

Isn't that the reason it has been rated R18+? At least in Australia anyway. A parent would have to be at least a tiny bit irresponsible to buy this game for their children or allow them to play it.

Parents do it all the time. Call of Duty is an 18 I believe and I don't know a child over 9 who hasn't played it. From the parents I know most don't play games so don't know about the content in these games, yet still buy the games for their children. As one said to me the other day, you don't want to be the one who denies your child a game when all their mates are playing it.

In schools where you have 14 - 15 year old kids, they are going be saying have you got GTA 5 yet? They are NOT going to answer by saying "No, its rated 18"...

Having kids under 10 playing this game is just pathetic parenting - but 14, 15, 16 yrs old etc its kinda more difficult to lay down the laws - especially when, like I say all their friends will be playing the game.

Who are the game makers targeting - Working adults, pensioners? Dont be daft!

Christ, people really do like to demonise things, don't they.

Teenagers have always been sulky, surly little gits, especially boys. It's the hormones, and it's perfectly natural. It's nothing to do with Computer games. You might just as well say the Tom and Jerry cartoons influenced us to be more violent. It's a suspension of reality, and it's been shown time and time again that kids know the difference.

My nephew played GTA at around 10 years of age, although he was supervised whilst he did it. He liked to get the tank and drive around destroying the City. He's 16 now, is just coming out of his grumpy stage, lives on a smallholding where he spends loads of time outdoors, plays Guitar and has had a steady girlfriend for over a year. The love of games also led him to learn more about computers, and he could strip down and rebuild a PC at 12. He's probably going to work in the IT industry when he's finished studying.

GTA did not turn him into a monster. He's a star, and my best mate.

I agree Heath with you on most of what you say, but I do have to say that knowing that there is kids playing these games before they can, there is no need for the bad language and some of the cut scenes in these games. There have been games in the past that have given the option to cut the swearing out if required, and I see no reason why that cannot be the case for all games. You may ask why it matters, well I don't think that playing a shooting game makes people want to go on a shooting spree, but the constant use of bad language normalises it for young kids, and I would prefer that it wasn't. it would be no great shakes for the developers to do.

We could type pages of individual cases, and talk about playing games in moderation, but generally speaking the games are unecassarily violent, abusive, addictive and at the end of the day: bad for you.

My great grandad smoked a pipe and went to the pub most days, and he lived til he was 103. But generally speaking smoking a pipe and going to the pub everday is bad for you.

Although i'm sure someone will argue the toss that it isnt!

I was watching one of those Police fly on the wall programs the other day. The cops were following a young car thief as he tried to get away from them. He was speeding and driving dangerously and eventually crashed the car. He shit himself and was really shook up, and the Policeman explained that the lad thought he could drive like he could on a video game, and when the reality of the violent crash hit home, and how close he came to serious injury, he was really upset. Just thought it was interesting observation.

I used to play Colin McRae on the computer. When I then switched off, got in my car, I would start to drive the same way and had to remind myself... this is the real world.

Probably would have played 2 hours straight and then programmed myself that is how you drive.

Here is a video of said incident:

:134:

James06 - 24/9/2013 14:00

We could type pages of individual cases, and talk about playing games in moderation, but generally speaking the games are unecassarily violent, abusive, addictive and at the end of the day: bad for you.

My great grandad smoked a pipe and went to the pub most days, and he lived til he was 103. But generally speaking smoking a pipe and going to the pub everday is bad for you.

Although i'm sure someone will argue the toss that it isnt!

Correction. It is bad for some, but for most it has many beneficial side effects.

The Fear - 24/9/2013 14:21

I used to play Colin McRae on the computer. When I then switched off, got in my car, I would start to drive the same way and had to remind myself... this is the real world.

Probably would have played 2 hours straight and then programmed myself that is how you drive.

Here is a video of said incident:

:134:

I used to go Gokarting quite regularly, and that had the same effect. It is weird how quickly the brain absorbs something new like that, and it becomes normal. You need a few minutes to re-train your brain back to normal.

Wurzel - 24/9/2013 13:43

I agree Heath with you on most of what you say, but I do have to say that knowing that there is kids playing these games before they can, there is no need for the bad language and some of the cut scenes in these games. There have been games in the past that have given the option to cut the swearing out if required, and I see no reason why that cannot be the case for all games. You may ask why it matters, well I don't think that playing a shooting game makes people want to go on a shooting spree, but the constant use of bad language normalises it for young kids, and I would prefer that it wasn't. it would be no great shakes for the developers to do.

To be fair, at the younger ages they aren't doing the storyline, so they don't see the cut scenes. They are just getting in vehicles and driving around like mad. It's Bumper Cars for the modern generation.

Not always, you have to get passed the cut scenes sometimes to be able to get certain objects and things they want. I know because I have had to get passed them for kids I know!

Wurzel - 24/9/2013 14:10

He shit himself and was really shook up, and the Policeman explained that the lad thought he could drive like he could on a video game, and when the reality of the violent crash hit home, and how close he came to serious injury, he was really upset. Just thought it was interesting observation.

The policeman explained i.e. came to the conclusion or the kid explicitly said he thought he could drive like that?

Either way I take it with a pinch of salt its like my mates with the weed if it wasnt that it would have been something else that ruined your life... I dont like saying it but the reality is some people are weak and cant handle certain things...

IMO James06 is talking about a small % of people and its those dummies that ruin everything for everyone else... If its not computer games itl be something else I agree to some extent about what he says but its a far smaller % than he thinks...