Gout | Vital Football

Gout

davem

Vital Squad Member
Does anyone suffer with this ?? I thought I had cut out either all of triggers or at least cut them down. If anyone has any tips give me a shout.

TA

What were the triggers you cut out?

Must admit, starting to think about what I'm eating, some of the king prawns and salmon etc I might cut out in case.

There`s a fella at work who suffers badly with gout and from what i remember,it`s cider and curries that he has to avoid.
I don`t know if it varies from person to person or whether you have to keep a track of what you`ve eaten/drunk when it flares up and then take it from there.

I think it down to a personal thing tbh. And, it does seem to be a combination too. Alcohol is usually one and usually something slightly acidic.... hence the body building up excess uric acid.

I used to suffer it every now and then, but touch wood (tapping my head) I've not had a bout of it for about 4 years. I even took a supply of tablets with me when I went to SE Asia and I still have them......

I do.

You need to avoid anything that is high in purines. Purines produce uric acid, which is what crystalises in your joints and causes the inflammation and excruciating pain.

http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm

Then, a daily dose of nettles helps me. You can buy nettle leaf capsules and nettle tea bags. It really helps me a lot. I haven't had an attack in the 2 years since I started on the nettles!

Also, stay really well hydrated and your body can do a much better job at flushing the uric acid through your system. This is the main reason that alcohol triggers gout-breaks.....dehydration is really bad for gout sufferers.

It sounds a bit daft, but I try to keep my pee as clear as possible. If it starts getting yellow, I drink loads of water and keep peeing and drinking until it's clear again......I'll send you some samples :)

The main triggers had been booze which I have really cut down last time I had a drink was the palace away game and the other was orange juice the fresh stuff, I drink mostly squash and water at work. I do eat a lot of spicey food though and it had crossed my mind that it could be that. Going to try those nettle tablets will pop down to H&B and ask there advice also. Cheers

I had a couple of bad attacks years ago and the doc put me on allopurinol tablets. They seem to have done the trick but once you're on them you're stuck with them. Incidentally, although attacks in the big toe are the classic episodes you can get it in any joint.
Alcohol has a bad effect because of it's dehydrating effect. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.
Things which can trigger it include shellfish, (I think crab sticks triggered my first episode), offal, (kidneys, liver, that sort of thing) and, bizarrely, turkey.
Good luck with it, I know how excruciating it can be.

Cheers the doctors when I first complained about it in my big toe said I was to young ( I will be 33 end of May ) the one I saw today did mention those tablets you said ironside. I don't care what I take as long as it's gone.

I was only about your age when I had my first attack. My father also suffered so I don't know if there is an element of heredity about it.
At the time my doctor hinted darkly that if I didn't do something to control it at the time it could lead to arthritis in later life. Get the best advice you can.

My sister in law was diagnosed with gout in January. She doesn't drink so that isn't the reason. There is a big association with gout and alcohol though it is not the only cause, of gout.

My sister in law was advised to cut meat out of her diet, which she has done and is alot better. It's trial and error food wise

well I drink far too much cider and gorge on curries but it's never affected me!