Gordon Taylor great ideas? | Vital Football

Gordon Taylor great ideas?

Good grief he can’t be serious surely?

Maybe old age is creeping up in a curmudgeonly fashion, but games behind closed doors with players wearing face masks, watched via drive-in cinema-style up at The Showground, just fills me with dread 😩

This is absolutely brilliant what a genius. Clearly Gordon Taylor has discovered the Achilles heal of this virus.

If you are the proximity of someone for less than 45 minutes it means you won't catch it. Who would have thought it! By getting players to play less than 45 minutes each half they won't catch it from each other. Truly remarkable.

What a completely bonkers thing to suggest imo!

Unfortunately they are grasping at straws! Club owners have duty of care to players and they are not going to put themselves in the firing line until there is a vaccine or it has been suppressed to unimaginable miniscule level! End of!

Last edited:
He mentions player 'fatigue!?'. He could have a word with Notlob about that, they were very worried if their kiddies got to knackered!.
These are supposed to be fit athletes for Gods sake!.
Maybe they could take a leaf out of the Top Gear programme, the premier players could play using Bentlys and Porches to knock a large ball about?!

An example of Trumpism at its finest, ie I've been asked a question, I'm on a lot of money so I'll just let my mouth ramble on with some stupidity.

If that's the best you can come up with Gordon time to go.

Fortunately the governing bodies have quickly said no

He’s suggested half’s of less than 45 minutes?
What next the crossbar challenge?
After the current situation is done, by all means in the future.
30 minute halves would be OK. Have an official timekeeper that stops the clock every time the ball goes dead, restart on the whistle. I believe the ball is only in play for about an hour anyway!

After the current situation is done, by all means in the future.
30 minute halves would be OK. Have an official timekeeper that stops the clock every time the ball goes dead, restart on the whistle. I believe the ball is only in play for about an hour anyway!

I remember (and it must have been well over 20 years back) Marco van Basten proposing exactly that.
Vastly reduces time wasting (apart from the old boring Liverpool technique of kicking the ball repeatedly from defender to defender to kill the game).

Wonder how much extra game time we might have got at Oldham a couple of years back??

This is absolutely brilliant what a genius. Clearly Gordon Taylor has discovered the Achilles heal of this virus.

If you are the proximity of someone for less than 45 minutes it means you won't catch it. Who would have thought it! By getting players to play less than 45 minutes each half they won't catch it from each other. Truly remarkable.

What a completely bonkers thing to suggest imo!

Unfortunately they are grasping at straws! Club owners have duty of care to players and they are not going to put themselves in the firing line until there is a vaccine or it has been suppressed to unimaginable miniscule level! End of!

Gordon Taylor is England's Sepp Blatter.
In the job it seems for life. No one ever challenges him (or more likely is allowed to) and he just goes on pocketing multi millions without doing anything remotely useful for football.

Gordon Taylor is England's Sepp Blatter.
In the job it seems for life. No one ever challenges him (or more likely is allowed to) and he just goes on pocketing multi millions without doing anything remotely useful for football.

Totally agree, although isn't former striker Dave Kitson preparing a bid to oust him?

The world must really be upside down if I am defending Gordon Taylor but he simply didn't suggest that. He said a whole lot of propositions have been put forward. He named a few of which less than 45 minutes a half was just one. He said that we need to wait and see what the proposals are and he hoped that those making the decisions would have the courtesy to let managers, coaches and players assimilate the proposals and come to a considered view.

Seemed a very reasonable view to me.

The world must really be upside down if I am defending Gordon Taylor but he simply didn't suggest that. He said a whole lot of propositions have been put forward. He named a few of which less than 45 minutes a half was just one. He said that we need to wait and see what the proposals are and he hoped that those making the decisions would have the courtesy to let managers, coaches and players assimilate the proposals and come to a considered view.

Seemed a very reasonable view to me.

While you are probably correct, I think the problem is many of us have a very negative view of him.

Country and world going to the dogs, people struggling financially yet he probably continues to draw his nice £2million per year or whatever it is while we all fear for the future.

Gordon Taylor and reasonable are not two words I think many of us would usually associate with him being put together.

Last edited:
There will be some daft ideas floating about. One for club cricket is that would it be possible for players to travel to and from the game separately in order to social distance whilst overlooking the bit in the middle called the game. Not sure the opening bowler would be happy without his 4 slips and a gully .

There will be some daft ideas floating about. One for club cricket is that would it be possible for players to travel to and from the game separately in order to social distance whilst overlooking the bit in the middle called the game. Not sure the opening bowler would be happy without his 4 slips and a gully .
It would also be a strange run-up to avoid the umpire!

With all this Gordon Taylor stuff and other ideas floating about, does anyone know the views of the Referees organisation how they feel about playing again in the near future ? Not heard them mentioned anywhere.

Well exactly. Not just XI "fit and safe" young players on each side, there's a whole bunch of others involved.

It's pure greed by Premier League clubs to want to restart long before anyone is safe.