Gordon banks | Vital Football

Gordon banks

Bulmer1889

Vital Football Legend
Staff member
Has checked out aged 81 World Cup winner local lad and great goalkeeper RIP

No doubt rod will be along later claiming he put it up first :loser:

Very sad news. RIP. Englands greatest ever goalkeeper, Sheffield born. That save from Pele in 1970 takes some beating. Another of the famous 1966 World Cup winners leaves us.

Simply the BEST.
I kept goal at school and in local leagues and there was only one man I wanted to emulate,
Still can't believe how he got that header from Pele over the bar.

Simply the BEST.
I kept goal at school and in local leagues and there was only one man I wanted to emulate,
Still can't believe how he got that header from Pele over the bar.

the other brilliant save from gordon that i remember was against west ham in league cup semi at upton park in 72 penalty from geoff hurst that he blasted towards the top right hand corner and gordon tipped it over the bar fantastic save although the one from pele was unbelievable the way he not only saved the header but scooped it over the bar great memories of a great keeper and gentleman ?

the other brilliant save from gordon that i remember was against west ham in league cup semi at upton park in 72 penalty from geoff hurst that he blasted towards the top right hand corner and gordon tipped it over the bar fantastic save although the one from pele was unbelievable the way he not only saved the header but scooped it over the bar great memories of a great keeper and gentleman ?

This one SOB

I remember that one too SOB.. I will be re-reading his book over the next few days and he tries to describe exactly how he manages to flick it over the bar.
Apparently he had practised stopping the shots/headers out there as the pitches had more bounce than he was used to.

Who know? We could well have had 2 Wold Cups had he played the 1/4 final in 1970.

I remember that one too SOB.. I will be re-reading his book over the next few days and he tries to describe exactly how he manages to flick it over the bar.
Apparently he had practised stopping the shots/headers out there as the pitches had more bounce than he was used to.

Who know? We could well have had 2 Wold Cups had he played the 1/4 final in 1970.
yeah think he was knobbled for that quarter final tt mysterious food poisoning my a**e peter bonetti was a great keeper but a combination of gordon not being between the sticks and alfs decision to take bobby charlton off cost us that game all the kaiser did that game was follow charlton everywhere but ran the game after he came off would almost certainly been a brazil v england final otherwise

yeah think he was knobbled for that quarter final tt mysterious food poisoning my a**e peter bonetti was a great keeper but a combination of gordon not being between the sticks and alfs decision to take bobby charlton off cost us that game all the kaiser did that game was follow charlton everywhere but ran the game after he came off would almost certainly been a brazil v england final otherwise
Definitely nobbled.
As we know well, making substitutions when you're a couple of goals to the good can be very costly

Definitely nobbled.
As we know well, making substitutions when you're a couple of goals to the good can be very costly

Alf Ramsay thought the game was won and took off Bobby C to save him for the semi final. Problem was that released Beckenbaur from his marking duties and he duly went up the pitch and scored. A lot to be said for keeping on the front foot when you're leading.

It was a bit of a tap in SOB.

Didn't realise that Gordon was FIFA keeper of the year for 6 years, just read it in the Stir online.
he played for stoke in the game after that old trafford match in 71 when we lost 3 - 2 at the lane got a feeling we were winning that game 2 - 1 but threw it away nowt changes eh ???

Has checked out aged 81 World Cup winner local lad and great goalkeeper RIP

No doubt rod will be along later claiming he put it up first :loser:
RIP to the best Goalkeeper i've ever seen.His nephew used to go to some games wi us back in the day and the Banks family had a bookies shop in Catcliffe.I'd never want to cheapen a tribute to this legend Bully.All the players shudda been knighted that played in 66 in my view.RIP GORDON.UTCB