Gorbachev | Page 14 | Vital Football

Gorbachev

TB, I'm making a clear distinction between the EU as a group of countries, and an "EU type" when referring to the people of the EU ... which I thought Hampton clearly was doing.

Any road, I've apologised to Hampton on the thread ... I've don't think he's a racist, and I've never called him one.

So if I say 'those English type'...'those Scottish type'.. 'those ....type'.. am I deemed a racist???

In the context of critasising decison making over Ukrain saying NATO, UN, Labour,Conservative, Democrats, Republicans, etc 'types' is explicitly grouping by political bodies or ideologies - not race.

Last edited:
It's explicitly grouping by political bodies or ideologies not races.

I was going to let this go, but what Hampton wrote was not in reference to political bodies or ideologies. He said:"like rats in a sack these EU types when the chips are down."

To me, that read like a reference to the people of the EU. I've acknowledged that he may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it read ... to me at least.

Oh, and Jock, yes, I'd be offended if you tried to label me as an "English type", as there are lots of my countrymen whom I'd prefer not to be associated with (and yes, I'm sure the feeling's mutual).

I was going to let this go, but what Hampton wrote was not in reference to political bodies or ideologies. He said:"like rats in a sack these EU types when the chips are down."

To me, that read like a reference to the people of the EU. I've acknowledged that he may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it read ... to me at least.

Oh, and Jock, yes, I'd be offended if you tried to label me as an "English type", as there are lots of my countrymen whom I'd prefer not to be associated with (and yes, I'm sure the feeling's mutual).

In the context of the conversation it's clearly referencing the political leadership of EU countries (Italy, Germany, etc) deciding not to stand up for Ukraine by kicking Russia out of swift.

Just like if someone says what Russia is doing is evil, no one sensible would believe that is a derogatory comment against the Russian race or even a condemnation of all Russians - it's talking about the actions being taken by those in charge of the nation.

It was a massive stretch.

So if I say 'those English type'...'those Scottish type'.. 'those ....type'.. am I deemed a racist???

No, it doesn't always follow that using racist terminology means the person using it is racist, but when anyone uses another person or peoples state, birthplace or allegiance in a derogatory manner then that can be considered as racist.

You may well be offended but is it racist...quit digging ur hole as you quite often to other posters, offer a half hearted apology to Hampton and we can all move on........que Feb 2023 and Moonays post #1,285 - 'I still stand by my original post of last year despite there only being 3 posters left on the site' 😉

No, it doesn't always follow that using racist terminology means the person using it is racist, but when anyone uses another person or peoples state, birthplace or allegiance in a derogatory manner then that can be considered as racist.

So in your opinion the calling of Bolton fans by Latics fans is racist because it is derogatory to their birthplace.

So in your opinion the calling of Bolton fans by Latics fans is racist because it is derogatory to their birthplace.
It certainly is when the term you are a town full of **** is used, much of football barracking between fans is racist, but accepted as part of 'lads culture' you wouldn't use it in front of your mother or kids.

So the biggest crisis in Europe in our lifetime and a thread discussing it gets moved because some soft arses aren’t happy? Jesus Christ, did anyone see how emotional and distraught Zinchenko was at Goodson Park tonight - and how he was supported by everyone in that stadium. It’s an issues that is affecting every part of society and instead of hiding it away this discussion should be front and centre. Fear - you’ve got this one wrong mate.

This is off topic, the other forum is meant to be football.

And to be fair, I get sick of alerts about politics and other non football things where people have no respect for others opinions, call them names and I am meant to be make judgement.

I shouldn't need to.

But no, this is off topic, the war is not football - it is a mindfuck mind you. But even on my own site, it is in off topic, as is covid, music and anything else other than footie.

And to be fair, I get sick of alerts about politics and other non football things where people have no respect for others opinions, call them names and I am meant to be make judgement.

I shouldn't need to.

But no, this is off topic, the war is not football - it is a mindfuck mind you. But even on my own site, it is in off topic, as is covid, music and anything else other than footie.

Whilst I disagree with your reasoning, thanks for the explanation. With people getting slaughtered over in Ukraine id have thought people would be a little more thick skinned and resilient than complaining about being called a name. God help us if we’re ever invaded.

So the biggest crisis in Europe in our lifetime and a thread discussing it gets moved because some soft arses aren’t happy? Jesus Christ, did anyone see how emotional and distraught Zinchenko was at Goodson Park tonight - and how he was supported by everyone in that stadium. It’s an issues that is affecting every part of society and instead of hiding it away this discussion should be front and centre. Fear - you’ve got this one wrong mate.

👏👏👏👏👏👏 shud be moved back imo.. serious crisis here

I shouldn't need to.

Fair enough this.

I didn't say we were...

Hungary in particular, should be a massive cause for concern given Viktor Orban's connections to Putin.
Germany also, have been very reluctant to piss Putin off given Gerhard Schroder's involvement with Rosneft.

The EU need to get tough with these countries pronto, because it could end up on their doorsteps before they know it.
Viktor Orban now BLOCKING the transit of EU weapons going through Hungary heading to Ukraine...