Good thinking from The Prince | Vital Football

Good thinking from The Prince

Mahatmafoot

Vital Squad Member
Referencing his “35 years” of involvement in sport, Prince Abdullah said: “I also learned that (it’s) always better that the recruitment should be a club owned process, it shouldn’t be left to the coaches.
“Coaches come and go and then if it’s not a club owned policy, as I say it will lead to more changes.
“Coaches (are) usually under pressure to perform now where usually the club think long term.”

But Wilder was considered a Manager, not a coach - whilst the position is the same the definition and job role is very much different

But Wilder was considered a Manager, not a coach - whilst the position is the same the definition and job role is very much different
I’d say from what’s been said they want some sort of hybrid where the coach/manager has input but not necessarily the final say which for me is better the manager having total control is ok whilst they are there they get the players they want till the next guy comes in and it’s starts all over again the prince referenced this saying it an expensive process, I don’t like the idea of players being bought and then the coach has to work with what he’s given (the preferred European approach) if he wants to play a certain way he may need certain types of players like CW did , I like the sound of the middle ground where compromises will have to be made on both sides but hopefully with a better result for the club

Referencing his “35 years” of involvement in sport, Prince Abdullah said: “I also learned that (it’s) always better that the recruitment should be a club owned process, it shouldn’t be left to the coaches.
“Coaches come and go and then if it’s not a club owned policy, as I say it will lead to more changes.
“Coaches (are) usually under pressure to perform now where usually the club think long term.”

Yet he allowed Wilder to steer the recruitment, maybe after 35 years in sport he still has a lot to learn. We will see.

How many managers have bought crap at BDTBL then walked ?
How many owners at BDTBL have given shoe string budgets to managers?

Seems to me a realistic budget with input from the manager/coach but not necessarily the final say is the way forward as Bulmer mentions.

Looks like a DoF and coach system for our Prince?
Then he would be going directly against what he said yesterday chips where categorically stated we weren’t bringing a DoF in he wanted a manager that would have input to recruitment but would not be the only voice

Then he would be going directly against what he said yesterday chips where categorically stated we weren’t bringing a DoF in he wanted a manager that would have input to recruitment but would not be the only voice
He did say in 35 years of experience it is better the control the roster and have a coach to work with them (or something like that).

He did say in 35 years of experience it is better the control the roster and have a coach to work with them (or something like that).
Yes but he said we wasnt having a DoF I don’t know how plain you need that saying,bettis has also said we aren’t in the market for a DoF,if they go against what they have said then I’ll join you in calling them but from what I’ve heard them say it’s been more than clear

Looks like a DoF and coach system for our Prince?

Did you actually listen to the words the owner spoke Chips?

He said a DOF was never an issue and wont be. The next manager will have no DOF like Wilder would have had no DOF if he hadnt resigned....twice. You really need to understand simple English.

I’d say from what’s been said they want some sort of hybrid where the coach/manager has input but not necessarily the final say which for me is better the manager having total control is ok whilst they are there they get the players they want till the next guy comes in and it’s starts all over again the prince referenced this saying it an expensive process, I don’t like the idea of players being bought and then the coach has to work with what he’s given (the preferred European approach) if he wants to play a certain way he may need certain types of players like CW did , I like the sound of the middle ground where compromises will have to be made on both sides but hopefully with a better result for the club

At the end of the day, the board ALWAYS had control over the money. It wasn't as though the club said "Chris, here's £100million, go and spend it on anyone you want." Yes Wilder will have said which players he wants and he would have had to petition this to the board and they would have had a final say. This is how its always worked at SUFC.

He only referenced 35 years as he wanted to make a point that he has the experience and isn't new to football. I agree that he should have gone with more options than just Ramsdale (if that was true), but those at the board level deal with finances, and not football. Anyone can say that Messi is an outstanding player but not everyone can say who is going to be the next best player to come from an Academy side.

I think that CW will have a completely different view on the situation. Prince said that the 'zoom' meetings went well but CW decided not to have anymore - we're only taking his word for it.

Yes but he said we wasnt having a DoF I don’t know how plain you need that saying,bettis has also said we aren’t in the market for a DoF,if they go against what they have said then I’ll join you in calling them but from what I’ve heard them say it’s been more than clear
We'll all have to wait and see if we have a DoF or not.

Did you actually listen to the words the owner spoke Chips?

He said a DOF was never an issue and wont be. The next manager will have no DOF like Wilder would have had no DOF if he hadnt resigned....twice. You really need to understand simple English.
I coudl same the same, I could have swon he saif that controlling the roster was the club not the coach. Most be hearing things?

I coudl same the same, I could have swon he saif that controlling the roster was the club not the coach. Most be hearing things?

From next season, the man in the Sheffield United dugout will still have a big say in recruitment, but it won't be a closed shop like before and he will have to be open to board involvement.
"I needed recruitment to change and Chris to be more open-minded," he said.
"When it comes to recruitment, it can’t be ‘my way or the highway’ every time.
Recruitment should be a club-owned process, it shouldn’t be left to the coaches
“Coaches come and go and then if it’s not a club-owned policy, it will lead to more changes.

That's what he said Chips how that will work we will have to wait and see. I always understood the owner and board had the final say on signing the cheque's. There was a split board on the two Derby lads signings confirmed by the Prince. Don't recall the Prince mentioning any split on signing Ramsdale or Brewster, selective information maybe.

Thanks FnaF. Looks lile a duck to me mate.
Go listen to the whole interview chips you either haven’t or you have selective hearing he definitely said we weren’t bringing a DoF in
i feel like a dog chasing it’s tail here you’re an itch that I can’t get to scratch

Has anything changed since former Sunderland hero Len Shackleton famously left a blank page under the chapter heading: "What the average director knows about football"?