Good rumour or complete bull plop? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Good rumour or complete bull plop?

It`s so sad that some people feel a compulsion, or virtuous obligation, to engage indirect magisterial pronouncement, in a bid to divert the core of a debate toward their own, often misplaced or postulated moral high ground.

If that's aimed at me I think you might be being a little unfair. If it is but I'm wrong then I can only apologise.

My first post was pretty genuine. My second one was a bit mischievous and probably unnecessary but ffs, Lancs, if you are talking about I think you've gone way over the top.

But of course, I could just be being paranoid. ;)

Well that was unfair of me, Sir Keefy!

It isn't a bollocks thread but nor is there a great deal that can be said as it does sound, to me at least, like a bit of a bollocks rumour. Perhaps that's more what I meant.

Certainly wasn't having a pop at you, it was more a response to those whinging that the thread had been politicised.

Last edited:
On a thread where it is implied not liking a player who happens to be black must be motivated by racism, no one has mentioned yet the banana incident in the north London Derby.

I thought society had moved on from the 70s :shake:

If that's aimed at me I think you might be being a little unfair. If it is but I'm wrong then I can only apologise.

My first post was pretty genuine. My second one was a bit mischievous and probably unnecessary but ffs, Lancs, if you are talking about I think you've gone way over the top.

But of course, I could just be being paranoid. ;)

Hi Buddha, nope, not you specifically. I went straight from the OP to page 3 and wondered why it was so off-topic. Personally, I find it unfortunate that a lot of football threads are hooked into quasi-political agenda, with seemingly no relevance at all to the OP. I appreciate that your off-thread subject matter is genuine and serious, but why not simply start another thread about Racism.

BTW, I`d love to see Ashley Cole in a Gills shirt (no matter how unlikely !) - but have no idea what that has to do with racism. UTG.

On a thread where it is implied not liking a player who happens to be black must be motivated by racism, no one has mentioned yet the banana incident in the north London Derby.

I thought society had moved on from the 70s :shake:

Disgusting but, as always, not very bright players.

Aubameyang runs straight to the Spurs fans after scoring and actually had loads of projectiles flung at him besides the racist one:
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...banana-skin-thrower-pierre-emerick-aubameyang

That prompts Eric Dier to run to the Arsenal supporters after he scores. Result = melee.

Just pointing that out. Of course, players can not be expected to take any personal responsibility for their actions in the modern world.

Last edited:
I’m not one to condone racism or hooliganism (From the people who brought you ‘I’m not a racist but....’) but is it not possible that the banana skin was thrown as it was to hand rather than intended as a racist gesture. If the banana was brought in with the intention of being thrown you’d think the perpetrator would have left the banana in the skin (From personal experience this would give it a much greater chance of reaching its target).

Of course any right minded person would see the link between the banana and racism and not throw it but I doubt much thought went into their actions.

I am convinced the incident was borne out of stupidity and ignorance. But not yet convinced it was borne out of racism.

I’m not one to condone racism or hooliganism (From the people who brought you ‘I’m not a racist but....’) but is it not possible that the banana skin was thrown as it was to hand rather than intended as a racist gesture. If the banana was brought in with the intention of being thrown you’d think the perpetrator would have left the banana in the skin (From personal experience this would give it a much greater chance of reaching its target).

I agree with all of that - throwing a banana at a black player is clearly racist and you don't need anyone to explain why. Throwing a banana PEEL however? That just seems to be throwing rubbish - I have no sympathy for the fan banned however, he shouldn't be throwing anything at anyone

If the banana was brought in with the intention of being thrown you’d think the perpetrator would have left the banana in the skin (From personal experience this would give it a much greater chance of reaching its target).

I'm interested in your banana throwing experience, nibbles. Can you tell me more.

I agree with all of that - throwing a banana at a black player is clearly racist and you don't need anyone to explain why. Throwing a banana PEEL however? That just seems to be throwing rubbish - I have no sympathy for the fan banned however, he shouldn't be throwing anything at anyone

I do think throwing a banana peel is just as racist as throwing a banana. But it’s all about the intent and the fact that it was a banana peel and in response to provocation from Aubameyang (so not premeditated) makes me doubt there was racist intent. If a banana peel was thrown in different circumstances I’d probably find it hard to deny racism was at play.

And do you think that's fair? Or maybe, as with Raheem Sterling, there is a hint of racism...?

Perhaps not by all who criticise either or both players, but certainly by most. My guess is that the (unfair) criticism originated from the mouths of racists, and is repeated by other racists but also by people who aint racist but are a bit stupid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46498849

Sterling calls out media for racism. Good on him.

Sterling gets a lot of shit including yesterday's incident but I notice he chooses to highlight the safe comparison between the two players buying houses rather than talking about the different reaction towards those other (white) players who decide to depict a deadly weapon on their body in front of impressionable young people.

Look forward to that list, Raheem.

I notice he chooses to highlight the safe comparison between the two players buying houses rather than talking about the different reaction towards those other (white) players who decide to depict a deadly weapon on their body in front of impressionable young people.

What did you think about his comments regarding the two very different articles about buying houses?

Sterling gets a lot of shit including yesterday's incident but I notice he chooses to highlight the safe comparison between the two players buying houses rather than talking about the different reaction towards those other (white) players who decide to depict a deadly weapon on their body in front of impressionable young people.

Look forward to that list, Raheem.

Why is it a safe comparison?