Good Luck Burton Albion Tonight! | Page 3 | Vital Football

Good Luck Burton Albion Tonight!

I think they should change the format of the competition, if indeed it is to be kept at all. It's not like it used to be. Teams aren't taking it seriously, which is why Burton made it to the semi. Then when they come up against a giant that takes it seriously, because they are smelling a trophy, this happens.
It's The Football League Cup. So it should be for teams that play in the Football League only, tell the Premier League to poke it.

The EFL Trophy?

Then when they come up against a giant that takes it seriously, because they are smelling a trophy, this happens.

Manchester City's team last night wasn't even close to their strongest line up. The only regular starters in recent weeks who began the game were Silva and Mahrez - Walker and Sané have been on the bench for league matches and De Bruyne is only coming back from a long term injury.

Another shadow side had put seven past Rotherham last weekend.

They've also put six past Huddersfield and Southampton this season. Maybe they shouldn't play them either?

I understand what you're all saying. I wouldn't expect Man City to handicap their own team or to go easy after 4-0. This has just highlighted what is wrong in the English game. The massive growing gap.
EFL Trophy is only for div 1 and 2 plus academy under21 teams. My re-vamped League Cup proposal would be for Championship, Div 1 and Div 2 teams only. Play the competition from August to December. Final at Wembley -Saturday before Christmas.

Man City 11 that didn't start last night
Edison
Stones
Kompany
Laporte
Danilo
Mendy
B Silva
Delph
Foden
Sterling
Aguero
(*EDIT 12 Fernandinho)

Sadly the problems of starting 11 strengths in cup competitions are only a symptom of the disease that is the self protectionist cartel that has been allowed to form since the inception of the Premier League. This week Guardiola has again been bemoaning the lack of a strong second league (read that as B teams) as the cause for him losing a promising young player to Real Madrid. One interpretation of that is Guardiola feels that dozens of English clubs should be pushed aside to allow a few players to gain experience to benefit the 20 teams in the cartel. I didn't see anybody from the press pick him up on that. This isn't a personal attack on Guardiola the person who in my experience of meeting him and listening to him is a thoroughly pleasant gentleman who loves the game of football with complete passion. However opinions expressed like that just enforce the view that the jobs and community well being tied up in clubs the length and breadth of England count for little against the whims of a handful of entitled elite footballers and clubs. To be completely pessimistic I cannot see a manufactured solution either, only through natural decline if football becomes unattractive to the masses again resulting in massive revenue losses of TV money.

Last edited:
I understand what you're all saying. I wouldn't expect Man City to handicap their own team or to go easy after 4-0. This has just highlighted what is wrong in the English game. The massive growing gap.
EFL Trophy is only for div 1 and 2 plus academy under21 teams. My re-vamped League Cup proposal would be for Championship, Div 1 and Div 2 teams only. Play the competition from August to December. Final at Wembley -Saturday before Christmas.
Just the English game?
I give you PSG, and I'm sure there are many more around the sporting world. Unbeaten in 17 league games, GD+40, 13 points clear of 2nd with 2 games in hand. Money makes success and makes more money, and so it continues.
A sad part of sport and pretty much most of life!

I really don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you suggesting it is wrong that one club is bigger than another? That Manchester City should not be allowed to have an average attendance of 54,101 while poor little Burton have only 3,280? That they should not be allowed to reap the financial rewards from that and build a far better team? As far as I know, that has been happening since 1857 when Notts County were founded.

Are you suggesting that every team in football should be equal, with the same finances, the same sized ground, the same sized support, and identical players? That there should be no natural order in the game?

Or are you saying Manchester City should have fielded their U14 side to give Burton a chance? That is ludicrous, and has been identified as one of the major problems with the FA Cup and League Cup.

On that basis, Lincoln would not have been able to play the Everton first team last Saturday. They would have reached the quarter-finals two years ago by beating Oldham U21, Ipswich U18, Brighton U16 and Burnley Girls U10.

And to remove the big clubs from the League Cup would remove all interest. You would simply have the EFL Trophy with a few more clubs playing in it. That wouldn't work at all: it would kill the competition off in one fell swoop.

If Manchester City beating Burton Albion 9-0 in the semi-final of a national cup competition is wrong, you and I must have very different ideas of how the game should operate.

Last edited:
Only one had arrived an hour before KO, but 34 coaches arrived by the kick off (according to BBC)

The problem - Part of the M6 has been closed after a number of people were found in the back of a lorry stopped by police.
Changed their news then lol . Can't trust anything you read these day lol

Are you suggesting it is wrong that one club is bigger than another? That Manchester City should not be allowed to have an average attendance of 54,101 while poor little Burton have only 3,280? That they should not be allowed to reap the financial rewards from that and build a far better team? As far as I know, that has been happening since 1857 when Notts County were founded.

Are you suggesting that every team in football should be equal, with the same finances, the same sized ground, the same sized support, and identical players? That there should be no natural order in the game?

Or are you saying Manchester City should have fielded their U14 side to give Burton a chance? That is ludicrous, and has been identified as one of the major problems with the FA Cup and League Cup.

On that basis, Lincoln would not have been able to play the Everton first team last Saturday. They would have reached the quarter-finals two years ago by beating Oldham U21, Ipswich U18, Brighton U16 and Burnley Girls U10.

And to remove the big clubs from the League Cup would remove all interest. You would simply have the EFL Trophy with a few more clubs playing in it. That wouldn't work at all: it would kill the competition off in one fell swoop.

If Manchester City beating Burton Albion 9-0 in the semi-final of a national cup competition is wrong, you and I must have very different ideas of how the game should operate.
Well I'm turned off by the repulsive haves and have nots in the game. The whole game is becoming B***sh**. There is no honour in clubs like Manchester City celebrating a goal against Burton Albion. I'm just thinking, yeh so what? The gap in wealth has never been this wide. I know that's just the way it is, but how can you just tolerate it, never mind believe its how the game should operate. I'm turned off from watching Premier League football.
The League Cup is already dead. It's a joke competition, nobody takes it seriously. The prize money is poor. £100k for the winners. Get rid of the big boys from the competition and the teams that remain will be more evenly matched and take it more seriously. Either that or scrap it.

Get rid of the big boys from the competition and the teams that remain will be more evenly matched and take it more seriously. Either that or scrap it.
And then the sponsors they can attract will pay even less for the rest of us resulting in an even bigger gap.

I'm all in favour of scrapping the League Cup entirely and keeping the Checkatrade for League 1 and 2 only. Surely even the Prem would go with that as it would reduce fixture congestion for them and as we are constantly reminded there is no danger of the EFL Club turkeys voting for the Christmas B Teams in their leagues. When Blackburn ressies play Lincoln ressies in round 2 of a competition you know it is a dead duck.

And then the sponsors they can attract will pay even less for the rest of us resulting in an even bigger gap.
And no one will go because Brentford v Lincoln is a lot less attractive than Everton v Lincoln. So clubs will make a loss on both hosting and travelling to the games.

I get your point but we probably made a tiny amount from the league cup. Not worth the downside in player fatigue or injuries.

Just the English game?
I give you PSG, and I'm sure there are many more around the sporting world. Unbeaten in 17 league games, GD+40, 13 points clear of 2nd with 2 games in hand. Money makes success and makes more money, and so it continues.
A sad part of sport and pretty much most of life!
this.
and access just makes the big events even bigger. it is more likely to be a global elite of superstars in every field, not just sport. as across the planet everyone watches on their mobile phone. if the 92 limit stays the same we will prosper to a degree if we hang onto league status and the shirt tails at the top end.

The EFL Trophy?

Are you suggesting it is wrong that one club is bigger than another? That Manchester City should not be allowed to have an average attendance of 54,101 while poor little Burton have only 3,280? That they should not be allowed to reap the financial rewards from that and build a far better team?

Erm, they don't get the vast majority of their money from gate receipts. They get it from a murderous and backward regime in the Gulf.

City are going for the quadruple* hence the squad rotation in the past 2 Cup games, and I’m looking forward to my first visit to the Pirelli in the 2nd Leg and catch a glimpse of Foden (who I haven’t seen yet)

*wishful thinking perhaps like last season ?